Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 01:11 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the Hill is the magical portal to all places. Bloomfield to South Side in minutes. Town to Oakland in minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Just avoid Skyline Terrace, Bedford Hills @ Whiteside, Chauncey Drive/Bedford Ave & such especially after dark.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:40 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Just avoid Skyline Terrace, Bedford Hills @ Whiteside, Chauncey Drive/Bedford Ave & such especially after dark.
This is the guy that knows.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
I'm white and frequently park my car in the Hill for the day and walk to my office downtown. I've seen some sketchy people and definitely some blight, but I've never felt endangered or threatened.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:58 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'm routinely in the Hill District and never feel unsafe. One time my car was vandalized while parked along Centre Avenue just east of Herron, when I'd park there for free (before the meters were installed) and then walk down to work at Presby. The damage was minor---my plastic sun visor on the passenger side was cracked off, and there were marks on my passenger side window as if someone tried briefly to break in and then gave up---so I didn't report it. The Hill District has a great library and YMCA.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:12 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Chauncey Drive is the roughest spot on the Hill and its the last if its tier. Oakhill @ Burrow St, Skyline Terrace, & Bedford Hills @Whiteside Rd/Memory Lane, all have saftey issues, but are nowhere as bad as before. The Hill from Davenport Way to Herron can be seedy on foot after dark: especially side streets in between Wylie-Centre, Wylie-Webster & even more between Webster-Bedford.
There used to be '2400'Chauncey Drive Projects + 'DownBottom'Francis St Projects (Bedford Dwellings); Bentley Drive Projects'the Badlandz Projects + Elmore Square'G Block' Projects (Addison Terrace); WeedSide'Whiteside Road + Burrows St [the Racknolia-Long Island] + Rob'it'son'Robinson Court/the Mad Circle'Terrace St/Warren Court (Allequppia Terrace) & Reed Roberts Manor (Reed Rude-Lost City Projects).

Plus back then 1600-2700 Bedford Ave, Middle Hill, the De Raud St area & much of Lower Hill were way worse off by themselves excluding the projects.
Streets like La Place St, Reed St, Centre Ave, Perry, Erin, Kirkpatrick, 25-2900 Webster, Wylie, Roberts, Helman, Lombard, Dinwiddie, were all FAR more dope active than they are today.
Due to: Lower Hill's partial gentrification, (slower) central Hill District revalization, and demolition of outer hilltop public housing communites + as the crack epidemic subsided, and heroin keeps both the dealers & users inside... the Hill's gotten physically quieter... Though thats in terms of drug violence, inter-personal disputes, robberies, random crime etc. Gang violence however, is present in this current new generation of gang members like the early 90's.
Certain blocks of 5th Ave, Sugar Top [mainly 3200 Webster & Camp St] & West Oakland past Oakhill were worse then too. As the Hill gets better hopefully so will the places above.

Sugar Top is turning more ghetto very quickly. Since the late 80's-early 90's due to its proximity to the Hill there's always been a local gang & spill over from the project gangs/side streets drug syndicates... For a while its overall been a questionable place to willingly move into with adolescent boys of any race to raise.
Once Francis Street/White Side Rd closed some of the gang members who didn't relocate to Chauncey Dr (many folks moved to Swissvale, Allentown, Elliott, Allegheny Commons East, Penn Hills, etc to a lesser extant folks moved to Terrace Village & Middle Hill) moved to Sugar Top Mob. A lot of the old, middle class legacy familes are gone either of old age or moved out. More Middle Hill's spilling over.
Sure Edwart St, Schenley Farms, Centre/Avalon/Brackenridge, Finland St & Sugar Top north of the park, are still stable...but in 5yrs most blocks of streets like: Cherokee, Byrn Mawr, Milwaukee, Anaheim, Clarrisa, Andelaide, Shawnee, Iowa, Dakota, etc will certainly be rougher. McNeil, 3200-3350 Webster, Landis, Vancroft, 3200 Camp St, etc are currently rough and declining.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 10-15-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 04:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

Sugar Top is turning more ghetto very quickly. Since the late 80's-early 90's due to its proximity to the Hill there's always been a local gang & spill over from the project gangs/side streets drug syndicates... For a while its overall been a questionable place to willingly move into with adolescent boys of any race to raise.
Once Francis Street/White Side Rd closed some of the gang members who didn't relocate to Chauncey Dr (many folks moved to Swissvale, Allentown, Elliott, Allegheny Commons East, Penn Hills, etc to a lesser extant folks moved to Terrace Village & Middle Hill) moved to Sugar Top Mob. A lot of the old, middle class legacy familes are gone either of old age or moved out. More Middle Hill's spilling over.
Sure Edwart St, Schenley Farms, Centre/Avalon/Brackenridge, Finland St & Sugar Top north of the park, are still stable...but in 5yrs most blocks of streets like: Cherokee, Byrn Mawr, Milwaukee, Anaheim, Clarrisa, Andelaide, Shawnee, Iowa, Dakota, etc will certainly be rougher. McNeil, 3200-3350 Webster, Landis, Vancroft, 3200 Camp St, etc are currently rough and declining.

That seems like its largely the result of project closings and gentrification elsewhere. you can eliminate low rent properties and replace them with expensive condos, but the people that were living in the low rent digs are still around.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Sad to hear that you believe Sugar Top will be declining in the coming years. It was a neighborhood I was considering for a home. I always thought the pressure from Oakland would just continue to push more Pitt students and UPMC types up and over Centre Avenue and into Sugar Top in the coming years.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:30 AM

175 posts, read 168,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sad to hear that you believe Sugar Top will be declining in the coming years. It was a neighborhood I was considering for a home. I always thought the pressure from Oakland would just continue to push more Pitt students and UPMC types up and over Centre Avenue and into Sugar Top in the coming years.
One of the biggest reasons Sugar Top may never see such an influx of Oakland people is the psychological divide created by the topography and Schenley Farms. Aside from the far upper reaches of Pitt's campus, it really isn't easy to walk or ride a bike to Oakland. Even the 81/83 buses don't make it to the heart of Oakland and it's like a 10 minute ride from Sugar Top to Montefiore despite how incredibly close they are as the crow flies. Even catching a bus to downtown is no quick feat on many of the streets.

Obviously the bigger factor is the association it has with the rest of the neighborhood, but Uptown also has a bad rap but i fully expect we will see it transform drastically in our lifetime. Sugar Top is just too inconveniently located as far as good connections go. Polish Hill is thriving because it holds a certain charm, Sugar Top just feels like the dead end to the ghetto which is pretty much what it is.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:06 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
One of the biggest reasons Sugar Top may never see such an influx of Oakland people is the psychological divide created by the topography and Schenley Farms. Aside from the far upper reaches of Pitt's campus, it really isn't easy to walk or ride a bike to Oakland. Even the 81/83 buses don't make it to the heart of Oakland and it's like a 10 minute ride from Sugar Top to Montefiore despite how incredibly close they are as the crow flies. Even catching a bus to downtown is no quick feat on many of the streets.

Obviously the bigger factor is the association it has with the rest of the neighborhood, but Uptown also has a bad rap but i fully expect we will see it transform drastically in our lifetime. Sugar Top is just too inconveniently located as far as good connections go. Polish Hill is thriving because it holds a certain charm, Sugar Top just feels like the dead end to the ghetto which is pretty much what it is.
Again, it's worth noting that the Upper Hill has been getting whiter in recent years, not blacker. In 2000 the neighborhood was 87% black. By 2010 it was only 77% black. The black population declined by 18%, while the white population grew 62%. That seems like gentrification to me.

I do have to say, I am not sure when Schenley Gardens rehab center on Bigelow Boulevard opened. Technically it is in Sugar Top, and this could account for some of the influx of white residents. But from 2000 to 2010 the percentage of the population over age 65 only rose by a few percent (and fell in absolute numbers) so it's likely that nursing home was there for awhile, and was not contributing substantially to the "whitening" of the neighborhood.

Streets like Anderson Terrace, and to a lesser extent Dakota Street, have been semi-annexed by Schenley Heights over time. The backwoodsy areas near Polish Hill (Monroe, Blessing, etc) are also increasingly desirable. As UptownKid noted, the areas around Centre are fine as well - although streets like Avalon and Brackenridge are technically considered to be in Terrace Village by the city. On the other hand, it's pretty clear just driving around the neighborhood that streets like Webster and Milwaukee are pretty blighted now - almost as bad as parts of the Middle Hill. And the City has basically said it's only going to redevelop the Hill from the bottom up, meaning Sugar Top isn't going to get any infill in decades, if ever.

To me the key question is if the core of the neighborhood - streets like Anaheim, Cherokee, and Clarissa, can be turned around. If they can, the neighborhood as a whole can thrive. It's a shame there is not even a hint of a neighborhood business district left here, as the presence would make a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh