Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:37 PM

29 posts, read 25,880 times

Advertisements

I've lived in an apartment in Allegheny County for 3 years (since 2012), and the original lease was month-to-month. In June 2015, I was told they would be switching to a year lease. I said no, I only want month-to-month. The landlord told me verbally that I could still do month-to-month, but I had to sign this year lease or I couldn't stay. I signed the lease because I truly had no intention of leaving.

Within the past year (2014 - 2015), there have been 6 or 7 cases of bed bugs in the building. My room is next to 3 rooms that had them about 5 or 6 months ago. Two weeks ago, I found bed bugs in my room. I was told they were there for a few months, at least.

I want to move out because the bed bug problem is spreading. My contract states that the landlord must keep a safe and clean environment. I am worried the bed bugs will keep spreading around the building, and I could get re-infested.

I talked to my landlord who said I am bound by the year contract and would have to pay every single month until July 2016 (which is thousands and thousands of dollars). Obviously I cannot afford this payment.

Don't I have a right to move if I'm the 7th or 8th case of bed bugs within the past year at this place? Doesn't this mean they broke their own contract/lease if they aren't keeping it safe/clean?

Last edited by PghCity; 10-27-2015 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
IDK... just because there are insects doesn't mean the place is unsafe or unclean.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:01 PM

29 posts, read 25,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
IDK... just because there are insects doesn't mean the place is unsafe or unclean.
I have hives all over my body from allergic reactions from the bites, thrown out hundreds of dollars of infested items, cannot live in my apartment for 1 month, took off work to do hours and hours of laundry and cleaning for the extermination, and have the psychological fear of the bugs being on me and biting me. In addition, the bed bugs spread to my boyfriend's place and also his sister's place. They have to do exterminations now as well. People will not understand the situation unless they go through it. Trust me, I do not want to be in that building with the chance of re-infestation and having to go through this again.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:46 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
I would move, Of course he wants you to stay, how is he going to rent an infested apartment. You may loose your security deposit, but I don't see a magistrate judging in his favor if he sues.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:48 PM

385 posts, read 309,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghCity View Post
I have hives all over my body from allergic reactions from the bites, thrown out hundreds of dollars of infested items, cannot live in my apartment for 1 month, took off work to do hours and hours of laundry and cleaning for the extermination, and have the psychological fear of the bugs being on me and biting me. In addition, the bed bugs spread to my boyfriend's place and also his sister's place. They have to do exterminations now as well. People will not understand the situation unless they go through it. Trust me, I do not want to be in that building with the chance of re-infestation and having to go through this again.
Allegheny County Bar Association has an opinion on this, specifically that a lease implies a warranty of habitability and an insect infestation likely fails that standard:

Bed Bug infestation - Legal Briefs

Keep any and all records of any contact you've ever had with your landlord, and contact a lawyer immediately.

I had a situation where my landlord was dead wrong and I spent a little over $2000 to get out of a lease six months early, which saved me $7500 and got my security deposit returned intact.

Just document everything this has cost you and document any response your landlord has given you in response to cleaning the problem up. A lawyers is always worth it; if you can't afford one, call Neighborhood Legal Services.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:49 PM

385 posts, read 309,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I would move, Of course he wants you to stay, how is he going to rent an infested apartment. You may loose your security deposit, but I don't see a magistrate judging in his favor if he sues.
The OP will cause himself trouble if he quits paying rent in violation of the lease.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:58 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
The OP will cause himself trouble if he quits paying rent in violation of the lease.
I am not saying to quit paying rent, I am saying to give 30 days notice and move out. If the current landlord files a complaint in court, I believe the judge would rule in the op's favor.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:40 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really??!? I would consider an infestation of any kind of bug, particularly one that feeds in human blood, to be unclean.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:54 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
And the OP adds important information after the fact...

OP, hope you have documentation of the allergy testing, doctor visits, etc. Calling a lawyer would be advised to see what your options are.

Knowing there were bedbugs in 2014 and early 2015, you really should have moved out as soon as your lease was up.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:28 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Be sure to give Allegheny County Health Department's Housing & Community Environment office a call: 412-350-4046
ACHD - HCE Program

They investigate bed bugs in apartment buildings and may be able to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh