Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 06:57 AM

385 posts, read 309,762 times

Advertisements

Somewhere, a long-dead man who came to the US as a penniless immigrant is spinning in his grave.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:06 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As a father whose two-year-old son currently has stage four cancer, I find this whole line of argument incredibly offensive.
eschaton - sorry that I missed this earlier, but my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
The "Daily Caller"? What's that? Never heard of it. Who's the publisher? Where is it based out of? Whose blog is that?

Oh wait... founded by the Chief Policy Advisor to Dick Cheney. That's a credible source right there!
I hate to say it, but attacking the source of an argument rather than the argument itself is a common logical fallacy known as an ad hominem.

I could post responses from many news sources to this claim, but I am afraid the response will be another ad hominem by someone else. So instead I'll link to an article from Reason, a right-libertarian publication.

The article makes some particularly good points which are missed in the current national fervor - we have accepted tens of thousands of refugees from Somalia and Iraq over the recent period - failed states which have extensive operations from Al Qaeda and ISIS respectively. Yet there was no public outcry, and apparently none of these refugees have engaged in terrorist activities.

Last edited by eschaton; 11-18-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 07:17 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Also, thanks to everyone for the good thoughts. We got the diagnosis back in late September, so our son is already halfway through chemo (though he has a lot more yet to go afterwards, including surgery, stem cell transplant, radiation, and immunotherapy). I am no longer depressed about things at all, just working my way through the treatment process with my family day by day.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:19 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
I hate to say it, but attacking the source of an argument rather than the argument itself is a common logical fallacy known as an ad hominem.

I could post responses from many news sources to this claim, but I am afraid the response will be another ad hominem by someone else. So instead I'll link to an article from Reason, a right-libertarian publication.

The article makes some particularly good points which are missed in the current national fervor - we have accepted tens of thousands of refugees from Somalia and Iraq over the recent period, which are failed states which have extensive operations from Al Qaeda and ISIS respectively. Yet there was no public outcry, and apparently none of these refugees have engaged in terrorist activities.
If the source arguably has an embedded interest in swaying its readers toward a certain POV, shouldn't that be acknowledged?

I think "consider the source" has been a useful reminder for me to understand that an argument comes from a particular perspective. I don't know that I agree that this would fall under the "ad hominem" label, since I wasn't referring to Goinback, but rather questioning the objectivity of the author of the article linked in his post.

However, I do agree that it's useful to try to keep the messenger separate from the message... and I'd agree that I can be vulnerable to the occasional slip-up along these lines. So thanks for bringing up that issue.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

The article makes some particularly good points which are missed in the current national fervor - we have accepted tens of thousands of refugees from Somalia and Iraq over the recent period, which are failed states which have extensive operations from Al Qaeda and ISIS respectively. Yet there was no public outcry, and apparently none of these refugees have engaged in terrorist activities.
OTOH, there is also "consider the source".
Urban Dictionary: consider the source
I hate using "urban dictionary" because well, consider the source, but they explain it pretty well.
"another way of saying that any information recieved from a certain source can't be taken seriously because that source has been wrong before, or lacks credibility. "

This is especially important in science, but I think it applies even in politics.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
The source is irrelevant. The FBI director is quoted at a Congressional hearing. It was widely reported.

You just don't want that information as it isn't consistent with your programming.

Should one of these 'refugees' actually be a terrorist, the damage to Pittsburgh will go beyond that of injuries to people and destruction of property.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 AM

385 posts, read 309,762 times
On that note, why doesn't anyone refer to Dylan Roof and his ilk as terrorists? It seems like "terrorist" is a dog whistle term used to refer to a certain demographic.

There is no surefire way to keep "terrorists" out and we have and always have had plenty of homegrown "terrorists". Denying aid to those who need it because they might possibly be "terrorists" sounds pretty un-American to me.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:04 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The source is irrelevant. The FBI director is quoted at a Congressional hearing. It was widely reported.

You just don't want that information as it isn't consistent with your programming.

Should one of these 'refugees' actually be a terrorist, the damage to Pittsburgh will go beyond that of injuries to people and destruction of property.

You didn't seem to want the results of the informal survey of my co-workers (which you asked us to take) because it didn't fit with your programming.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

It's ironic that you would chime in on the "ad hominem" tactic of debate since you have proved yourself quite the enthusiast.

You are the one who refuses to discuss the case on the merits and instead tries to accuse everyone who disagrees with you (not just on this issue, but EVERY issue on this board) of being government employees.

And you blabber on about "programming". Very amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh