Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 AM

149 posts, read 608,455 times

Advertisements

I knew I'd heard of him! WQED (Pittsburgh's PBS station) actually sells his shows on video. Here's the website:

ShopWQED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM

85 posts, read 286,771 times
As for the negativity of locals, this place went through a lot when industry collapsed - it used to be one of America's leading cities and was suddenly faced with irrelevance and futility. I grew up here and moved away for ten years before moving back and I love it here, after living in London, New York City and Ithaca, and travelling pretty much everywhere. I think the negativity comes mostly from people who have lived here all of their lives, and haven't lived enough in other places to appreciate the good points of living here. They're caught up in the self-loathing that accompanied the earlier economic problems, like angry sports fans monday-morning-QBing the Steelers (get ready for that when you move here - it's the worst part of living here! :-)) The economic picture here now is steady, but not dynamic.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 57,391 times
Default Move From Buffalo to Pitt

Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie to the forum and it was interesting to read the experiences of someone from Buffalo who gave a succint comparison of the two cities.

I have been living in Buffalo for the last 2 years and am moving to Pittsburgh in the middle of this year. So this forum is a very good place for me to start and get all the info I need about Pittsburgh.

Hope to contribute my 2 cents as well to the forum as I gain more knowledge.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2008, 08:28 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmajane08 View Post
I wasn't crazy about South Side - it seemed a little gritty - but I did pick up 3 CD's at Dave's Music for only $15.
I'd assume you got them for figh dah-lah?

From what i've learned from relatives that live there (my parents moved out and had me, but a large portion of the family still lives there), is that it wears on you eventually over time. But as long as you are happy, then that's really all that matters (meant in a genuine, non sarcastic manner)

Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 17,269 times
Hi, I am oktaran under a different name.

Buffalo is WAAAYYYY BETTER. It is so nice and clean compared to this dump of a town. Pittsburgh si a broke down dump. It is UGLY EVERYWHERE. I moved here 2 years ago and nobody talks to me. People are so RUDE here that when I walk down the street they try to trip me and then laugh about it. Somebody even tried to push me of the Smithfield st. bridge into the Mon river one day when I was walking across the ugly falling down crappy bridge.

DId I mention the architecture here SUCKS. It is some of the worst I ever seen. If you check my post history under Okteran, you will see that I spend valuable time trying to argue about how horrible the architecture is in Pittsburgh. This city is a run down ghetto. Don't move here. You will be making a mistake.

As soon as you move in, people will try to shoot you. Trust me. I hate it here. I can't wait to move back to the grape fields of upper N.Y. That is where the wine flows like water, everybody is nice, and the sun is out and it is 70 degrees every day unlike this poop hole.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepLover View Post
Hi, I am oktaran under a different name.

Buffalo is WAAAYYYY BETTER. It is so nice and clean compared to this dump of a town. Pittsburgh si a broke down dump. It is UGLY EVERYWHERE. I moved here 2 years ago and nobody talks to me. People are so RUDE here that when I walk down the street they try to trip me and then laugh about it. Somebody even tried to push me of the Smithfield st. bridge into the Mon river one day when I was walking across the ugly falling down crappy bridge.

DId I mention the architecture here SUCKS. It is some of the worst I ever seen. If you check my post history under Okteran, you will see that I spend valuable time trying to argue about how horrible the architecture is in Pittsburgh. This city is a run down ghetto. Don't move here. You will be making a mistake.

As soon as you move in, people will try to shoot you. Trust me. I hate it here. I can't wait to move back to the grape fields of upper N.Y. That is where the wine flows like water, everybody is nice, and the sun is out and it is 70 degrees every day unlike this poop hole.
this is some wacked out sarcasm

Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 AM

7 posts, read 26,849 times
Welcome to Pittsburgh! I've visited Buffalo and found it quite charming. Naturally, it's having some of the same used-to-be-industrial difficulties that Pgh has, but the area around the Lake has been restored and looks to be a fun place. Some of the architecture is fantastic and of course, all that Frank Lloyd Wright action is exciting. The only thing that would put me off Buffalo is the winters, but if I'd grown up there, it would simply be 'the way things are.' Great town, but we hope you grow to love Pittsburgh as much as the natives. Plenty to do and see here, that's for sure.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM

36 posts, read 124,214 times
i was happy to hear how much she enjoyed visiting pittsburgh...i too will be moving here soon with my boyfriend from orange county california...and im quite nervous. im sad to leave the ocean, l.a, san diego, mexico and everything else so-cal offers, but you make me a little more excited to move back into the "burbs" hope we like it as much as you did!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:56 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Boy this went from day to night. I just happened to notice one of London's old posts.

Quote:
Me too. I'm originally from Buffalo, and love Pittsburgh. Even the (G-d Forbid) *suburbs!*
I am very comfortable anywhere in Pittsburgh, I feel very at home here. I love Buffalo, but Pittsburgh too, you know?
Just an observation. So someone either secretly hated Pittsburgh and convinced themselves they liked it or now secretly likes Pittsburgh but has convinced themselves that they don't.

Lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Boy this went from day to night. I just happened to notice one of London's old posts.

Just an observation. So someone either secretly hated Pittsburgh and convinced themselves they liked it or now secretly likes Pittsburgh but has convinced themselves that they don't.

Lol.

That must have been an old post, because I agree with Sheeplover now. *sorry*

It took me a few months, but after 2.5 years in Pittsburgh, I really, really do not like it at all.

I do find most areas to be dirty and run-down. I have never seen such a dirty place! Sure there is a nice street scattered here and there, but for the most part, the city is in need of a desperate face lift. Not to say that Buffalo isn't in need of help, because it is. There are just fewer neighborhoods that are run down in Buffalo as there are in Pittsburgh. (I think it has to do with the fact that the houses that are very run down in Pitt now were never much to begin with, as Katiana had tried to explain.)

However, as far as the architecture goes, I find both cities to be very similar. I like it.

That is why I felt comfortable when I first moved here, It seemed very much like Buffalo, but with a LOT less snow, however, more extremely cloudy days in Pittsburgh than Buffalo throughout the year. And there is water in Pittsburgh; but no beaches and that sucks.

Plus Buffalo is just a much EASIER place to live. It just is, no matter where you are coming from. The driving, the lay out of the land, the suburbs, the lakes, the rivers that seem to be easier to access than Pittsburgh's three rivers, the stores, the over all cleanliness of the area of Buffalo, the people in general.

Do I think Buffalo will ever have a come back? Nope, not in my lifetime. It is my personal opinion that Pittsburgh is better prepared than Buffalo is for a comeback. But what do I know? I'm moving to Coral Gables! LOL

There are more suburbs in Buffalo, the shopping is better and more accessible, and well, the suburbs in Buffalo are just THAT MUCH BETTER than the 'so called' suburbs in Pittsburgh. *sorry again*

And I agree, there is just something about the Buffalo people that make it much more welcoming...

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 04-04-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh