Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:20 AM

26 posts, read 26,934 times

Advertisements

Ok, well before I start this isnt for me. (ya, ya I know, I know) sureeee

But my sister (30) found out her fiance was gay/bi after about 9 years of being together. And on top of that just got laid off a week or 2 go. My family (german) are all the same way. Very narrow minded, good people but, SIMPLE. Everyone has jobs that are around 30k that anyone on the street can do, and anything out side the norm just throws them off. After 3 years, they still can pronounce my 1 dogs name..DROGO!!! NOT DRAYGOOO. She has a friend or 2 but married, kid, or just the same way..simple..

But me and her are a like and want more for life but I am married with a baby on the way so I am out the scene now. But she asked me the question this morning like WHERE CAN I FIND INSPIRED PEOPLE. I told her to go down to walnut street on the weekend, shadyside maybe lawrenceville. I wish she was more of a drinker because I told her the craft beer scene has some interesting people, but im not sure she would share the same passion for beer like those people.

So basically, does anybody know of any clubs or programs (cant think of the right word) that maybe she could join to meet some people? I feel bad for her, and now that she is laid off (she hated her job anyway) she now thinks this is her chance to totaly re haul her life and maybe actually find a job that she loves..likes..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 07:52 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Indie coffeehouses (e.g. Espresso a Mano, Commonplace Squirrel Hill/Garfield, etc.)
Entrepreneurial groups.
Young professionals meetups.

"Inspired" young people are all over the place in Pittsburgh.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:02 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
If I was her I would sign up for a class or two at ccac

Old 12-06-2015, 09:07 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
What is she inspired about? Community service, education, urban planning, the environment, the arts, etc? If she can specify what she's passionate about then she'll have an easier time finding her people.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
As other posters have mentioned, meetups are a good way to connect with like minded people. There are groups for just about any interest; arts, music, foreign language, cooking, sports, fitness, etc Find your people - Meetup
Find your people - Meetup

Old 12-06-2015, 11:52 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
what are her hobbies?

Old 12-06-2015, 12:17 PM

26 posts, read 26,934 times
well its hard to say because she has none at the moment. She was in a relationship where they did the same thing every day..work..come home..dinner..bed.. So I guess she is trying to figure it out.

But she does like to ride bikes, and talk politics and likes religion.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:48 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmenpg View Post

But she does like to ride bikes, and talk politics and likes religion.
Then she can get involved with BikePGH, or volunteer for the presidential candidate of her choice, or get involved in church. Or do all of that.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:21 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
Not just bike-pgh, but other groups as well. Pretty much every corner of the city has a cycling group and organized rides. I'm sure they are fewer now that it is cold, but if she searches a bit she'll find a lot. Bike pgh has a message board with info on rides.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:04 AM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I would hardly say Walnut Street is replete with hordes of "inspired" Millennials. Vapid? Yes. Materialistic? Yes. Privileged? Yes. Self-absorbed? Yes. Sitting on a bench in front of Athleta or Banana Republic, though, and hearing "Oh my God, Becky! Look at her butt!" on constant replay would make my eye twitch.

I'd suggest she volunteer. It doesn't matter what she does---read to children; visit with lonely elderly individuals at a nursing home; take care of animals; serve at a soup kitchen; etc. I find helping others without the expectation of being helped in return to be the best way to help combat the depression that often may arise from feeling an overall lack of a sense of purpose. When my family and I would help our church organize, dole out, and deliver donated food around Thanksgiving growing up the smiles on the grateful faces of needy families was all the "payment" I needed to feel good inside for weeks. I used to live bell-ringing for the Salvation Army at our town's Walmart (shudder). My friends and I would sing Christmas carols and dance to help draw attention (and more donations). Picking up litter was also good. It made me think of the smiles on the faces of birds, squirrels, and rabbits nearby.

When I was feeling most down on my luck in Northern Virginia I found most comfort and solace from my church. Immediately after joining the congregation a couple about ten years older than me invited me over to their home for dinner and fellowship. They knew it was a difficult area to transition to on your own because it was very congested and transient. It was wonderful. I joined a book club where I was the only 23-year-old male beside about eight ~40+ year-old women, but I cherished that fellowship. She should join an active church and become very involved in activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh