Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 04:53 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
That being said most of these areas will continue to be safe and stable for many years to come.
I'm glad you realize this. But your it makes me wonder what point you're trying to make? Your posts sometimes seem overly alarmist to me. Many of the "declining" areas are perfectly safe for the average joe, regardless of race, and will remain so -- it's not all doom and gloom. If someone looking for a place to live in the Pittsburgh area reads your posts they would be scared away from a bunch of places that are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 05:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcollins3783 View Post

There is affordable housing. I just think it is in much better shape than some of the other boroughs in the south hills or those immediately bordering the city.
So what is your justification for throwing the likes of Millvale, Etna and Sharpsburg in with McKees Rocks and McKeesport? That's undermining whatever else you are saying. I understand that there is a lot of jealousy and resentment directed to the East End and its surroundings, but you just aren't dealing in any facts on this point.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:13 PM

20 posts, read 20,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
So what is your justification for throwing the likes of Millvale, Etna and Sharpsburg in with McKees Rocks and McKeesport? That's undermining whatever else you are saying. I understand that there is a lot of jealousy and resentment directed to the East End and its surroundings, but you just aren't dealing in any facts on this point.
I'm just wondering what your justification is for not mentioning them together? I have no jealousy to the east end. I'm not sure where you came up with that.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:13 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
I do know everybody wants to sing the gentrification of lawrenceville, which they should, however ,the main reason I believed it happened was due to the new children's hospital and the jobs that came with it. The hospital opened in 2009 and around a year later lawrenceville began to gentrify. It parallels with the new hospital opening. Otherwise there is a good chance this gentrification wouldn't have happened there. It is a far reaching stretch to say millvale will follow. I don't see it, but I could be wrong. Rents in Bloomfield and polish hill ballooned due to the gentrification of Lawrenceville which was back to the hospital moving to the neighborhood.
This is really interesting, because I clearly move in really different circles. I have a lot of conversations with people about Lawrenceville, and the people I know who want to live there are attracted to the art galleries, restaurants, and general hipster vibe that is easy to mock on here. They also LOVE the architecture and the general "Williamsburg" culture. These people see the children's hospital mostly as a negative, because the architecture is so different from the cute brick row houses on Butler street. These are the people I can see appreciating Millvale -- honestly we meet a lot of these types at Grist, and there is a lot of banter about moving to Millvale precisely so they can pay half as much for twice as much space, and be just one bridge away from hanging out in Lawrenceville.

I don't think I am right and you're wrong, by the way, I think we're just hanging out with different people. I'm talking about the people who came of age with Radiohead and Coldplay, not Phil Collins, though they do listen to Peter Gabriel in a nostalgic sort of way...

Old 01-02-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I'm just wondering what your justification is for not mentioning them together? I have no jealousy to the east end. I'm not sure where you came up with that.
Well, considering I have never seen anyone on this board (or any other, for that matter) lump Millvale, McKeesport and McKees Rocks together... I figure the burden of proof is on you. Feel free. Considering you spelled Etna as "Etta's" it is a reasonable expectation to ask you to share something you know that no one else anywhere does.

I don't know whether or not you harbor jealousy or resentment toward the East End, but I honestly can't think of any other reason you might believe that Coraopolis is going to be developed before the likes of Millvale, Etna and Sharpsburg, despite the fact that the process is already underway in those three communities.

How long have you been in Western PA?

Old 01-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'm just wondering what your justification is for not mentioning them together?
I can't speak for Merge, but I do see Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg as being a different situation entirely from either McKeesport or McKees Rocks. I think there are very real differences between the three rivers when it comes to talking about the old towns, and that the ones on the Allegheny are easily the most promising as far as gentrification goes.

The Ohio is interesting because you have the really affluent parts, like Sewickley, but that doesn't mean Coraopolis is going to get fancy any time soon. I'm fascinated by this, because Cory in particular has a fabulous downtown with strikingly beautiful architecture, and if I worked either downtown or in Robinson township it would strike me as a fabulous location, but still when I drive through the area seems so sleepy. McKees Rocks is smaller and grittier, but is in a similar situation.

McKeesport, and the Mon valley in general, is in a lot of trouble. The more I think about it, the congestion around the eastern suburbs combined with a general lack of jobs is a huge issue. That said, I do love Preservation Pioneer's commitment to the area, and I really hope it stays stable for now. Personally I think more and more people in the future will want to move into these pretty, old, historic towns, but it is going to take two or three generations IMHO.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:29 PM

20 posts, read 20,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
This is really interesting, because I clearly move in really different circles. I have a lot of conversations with people about Lawrenceville, and the people I know who want to live there are attracted to the art galleries, restaurants, and general hipster vibe that is easy to mock on here. They also LOVE the architecture and the general "Williamsburg" culture. These people see the children's hospital mostly as a negative, because the architecture is so different from the cute brick row houses on Butler street. These are the people I can see appreciating Millvale -- honestly we meet a lot of these types at Grist, and there is a lot of banter about moving to Millvale precisely so they can pay half as much for twice as much space, and be just one bridge away from hanging out in Lawrenceville.

I don't think I am right and you're wrong, by the way, I think we're just hanging out with different people. I'm talking about the people who came of age with Radiohead and Coldplay, not Phil Collins, though they do listen to Peter Gabriel in a nostalgic sort of way...
It's a good conversation to have. Lawrenceville really evolved since 2010, I just think people have pinpointed the incorrect reasons for what jump started the gentrification there. Pittsburgh is still primarily an education and medical based economy. Before the hospital opened people were gobbling up the properties over there. After the hospital opened it took off. Infusion of a few hundred jobs or more from that hospital kick started the investment. A year and half after it opened the gentrification took off and bumped rents up in Bloomfield as well as polish hill. Before 2009 they couldn't give property away over there. The new loft condos were being sold at 150 to 175k in 2007. A far cry from now. But it has evolved and the new arts galleries and hipster establishments came to be. Where the south side was the place to be pre 2009.

Millvale I think has a long way to go. There is nothing nearby to drive growth there now. People love the inner city.

You hang out with wise people btw. Excellent taste in music.

They used to close off market square in the summer for drinks and live music 10 years ago. It was called m squared. I wish they would do it again.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
It's a good conversation to have. Lawrenceville really evolved since 2010, I just think people have pinpointed the incorrect reasons for what jump started the gentrification there. Pittsburgh is still primarily an education and medical based economy. Before the hospital opened people were gobbling up the properties over there. After the hospital opened it took off. Infusion of a few hundred jobs or more from that hospital kick started the investment. A year and half after it opened the gentrification took off and bumped rents up in Bloomfield as well as polish hill. Before 2009 they couldn't give property away over there. The new loft condos were being sold at 150 to 175k in 2007. A far cry from now. But it has evolved and the new arts galleries and hipster establishments came to be. Where the south side was the place to be pre 2009.

Millvale I think has a long way to go. There is nothing nearby to drive growth there now. People love the inner city.

You hang out with wise people btw. Excellent taste in music.

They used to close off market square in the summer for drinks and live music 10 years ago. It was called m squared. I wish they would do it again.
The "hipster element" has been gone from L-Ville for years. 2009? Really? CMU must have had a pretty good idea about the trajectory of the neighborhood in 1996, when they moved into the state-of-the-art National Robotics Engineering Center down by the river. Others on this board could list the 95-05 development of L-Ville better than I could (despite the fact that rising rents/home prices drove me from the neighborhood to purchase a home outside the immediate area in 2004). I don't really have the patience, and you haven't even answered my questions about your dubious claim that Millvale somehow falls in a category with McKees Rocks and McKeesport. So whatever...

You're just way off.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Wait, what? If the hipster element has been gone from Lawrenceville for years, what do we call these fine folks?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lawrencevillians.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	163754

Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Wait, what? If the hipster element has been gone from Lawrenceville for years, what do we call these fine folks?

Attachment 163754
That's millennial style, my friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh