Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,655 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to Pittsburgh over the next several months. In searching for a house we (think) we have narrowed it down between neighborhoods in the Quaker Valley school district and those in the Fox Chapel school district.

What are the biggest differences between these two areas that we should be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:56 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Fox Chapel is more diverse.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:57 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrayson138 View Post
My family and I will be relocating to Pittsburgh over the next several months. In searching for a house we (think) we have narrowed it down between neighborhoods in the Quaker Valley school district and those in the Fox Chapel school district.

What are the biggest differences between these two areas that we should be aware of?
Physical location is your biggest difference. Sewickley is west of the city, has decent but not perfect access to downtown, great access to the airport, and not-so-great access to the east end of the city. It also has good access both north and south via I 79.

Fox Chapel is northeast of the city, has favorable access to downtown and the east end, less favorable access to the airport and southern stretches of the city, and adequate access to points east via the PA turnpike.

Next biggest difference is school district.

Fox Chapel is bigger and (I hear) more diverse. Quaker Valley is smaller. Both schools have excellent reputations.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Fox Chapel is a much higher ranked school at number 12 in the state compared to 98th of Quaker Valley, but those are high rankings, so not to worry. Fox Chapel has always ranked quite a big higher though.

I wouldn't have had an issue if I sent my child to Quaker Valley though. I don't think they have as much to offer due to the funding difference. The FC districts is extremely wealthy with some of the highest paid teachers in the state if not the highest and amenities that are pretty incredible due to large donations and just having so much money in the region.

I don't think you can really go wrong though. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
The biggest difference is that Sewickley is a quaint walkable village, whereas Fox Chapel is semi-rural area with huge lots. Fox Chapel has absolutely no appeal for me, and if I were interested in the Fox Chapel school district, I would live in Aspinwall.

In terms of diversity, one school district is 83% white, the other is 84% white. Fox Chapel has more Asian kids. Quaker Valley (Sewickley’s school district) has more black kids. Neither is particularly diverse.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:37 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I was joking, but 1% is still more.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:49 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The biggest difference is that Sewickley is a quaint walkable village, whereas Fox Chapel is semi-rural area with huge lots. Fox Chapel has absolutely no appeal for me, and if I were interested in the Fox Chapel school district, I would live in Aspinwall.
I think it is hard to call this a huge difference, since the question was worded around school districts rather than municipalities. Both have a similar variety of walkable town and more private wooded or estate-style lots, though I concede that Sewickley has bigger and more expensive homes in the walkable area than Aspinwall does.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I think it is hard to call this a huge difference, since the question was worded around school districts rather than municipalities. Both have a similar variety of walkable town and more private wooded or estate-style lots, though I concede that Sewickley has bigger and more expensive homes in the walkable area than Aspinwall does.
This is a fair point. Aspinwall's business district is also more developed, but Aspinwall's proximity to Waterworks is a huge plus.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
They may be interested in differences more broadly, and like Gladhands said, Sewickley is a gorgeous, upscale, quaint walkable area. I don't know much about FC though. The OP should visit the area and look at past suburb of the week threads.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:45 PM

433 posts, read 287,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrayson138 View Post

I live in Fox Chapel in a very modest 3 bedroom house in a neighborhood close to Aspinwall. I love it because I can be in town in 10 minutes if it's not rush hour. I also like Fox Chapel because there are alot of big trees and woods as well as parks. And, you don't have to worry about a neighbor parking a a boat in his yard or his rusted out 72 Boneville being laid to rest out back. While houses certainly aren't cheap, relatively speaking, taxes are very reasonable.

I have three kids, 2 of high school age and they attend FCHS. My one son loves it the other not so much. I have mixed feelings. There seems to be an underlying pressure on students from students as far as expectations such as colleges and social aspects. I had my kids to the doctor last year and the nurse practitioner asked them where they attended school. When they said Fox Chapel she retorted with "I'm sorry, I heard that's really hard." She explained it was the social pressure. What I come away with is that it's a matter of "fit" with your children.

There are no commercial businesses permitted in the borough, which is nice, in my opinion. But if you want to walk to a coffee shop or bakery, you should look at Sewickley.

I'm not a big fan of Aspinwall but understand why others love it. To me, walking distance to the Waterworks Shopping Plaza would be a negative. Roads are crap and I don't want to live right up against my neighbor and not have any privacy. Then again, it does have a Mayberry kind of feeling that's hard to find. Just not my taste and too many negatives for me.

Now if they could do something about the ticks......which is getting to be a very big problem, something I'm very surprised hasn't been more of an issue on the media's radar. So many people I know have Lyme which can get very bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh