Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 02:29 PM

595 posts, read 600,668 times

Advertisements

I'm jealous more of the 2 car garage than the frontage on those.

The 2 houses on Grace w/ the garage in the rear have nicer looking fronts and no silly steps. But they also don't have ANY yard.

Front
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4302...2!8i6656?hl=en

Rear
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4306...2!8i6656?hl=en

The new houses on Bradley are the same way - garages in the rear and decent front facades, but no actual yard. I still can't believe these things went for over $400K.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4382...2!8i6656?hl=en

Sweetbriar was the same way - some of those have sold for almost $500K. I don't get it, considering they're not even as nice as the Bradley homes.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4352...2!8i6656?hl=en

The 3 that are 100% on Woodruff (shown in your link - or here ) look odd having the garage in front and the silly steps, but they actually have a back yard (though not very big).

I'm wondering how they'll do the proposed homes on Grace since the slope of the land protrudes down from the road as opposed to up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:39 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
I'm wondering how they'll do the proposed homes on Grace since the slope of the land protrudes down from the road as opposed to up.
They might have to do an "upside down house" (what my realtor called my house.) One story in the front and two stories in the back.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They might have to do an "upside down house" (what my realtor called my house.) One story in the front and two stories in the back.
I call those mullet houses.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:24 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
I'm jealous more of the 2 car garage than the frontage on those.

The 2 houses on Grace w/ the garage in the rear have nicer looking fronts and no silly steps. But they also don't have ANY yard.

Front
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4302...2!8i6656?hl=en

Rear
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4306...2!8i6656?hl=en

The new houses on Bradley are the same way - garages in the rear and decent front facades, but no actual yard. I still can't believe these things went for over $400K.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4382...2!8i6656?hl=en

Sweetbriar was the same way - some of those have sold for almost $500K. I don't get it, considering they're not even as nice as the Bradley homes.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4352...2!8i6656?hl=en

The 3 that are 100% on Woodruff (shown in your link - or here ) look odd having the garage in front and the silly steps, but they actually have a back yard (though not very big).

There's many infill houses like this now in Lawrenceville as well. The easy way around this (at least for the first example) would be to have a detached garage.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:37 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's many infill houses like this now in Lawrenceville as well. The easy way around this (at least for the first example) would be to have a detached garage.
More expensive to have detached garages for builders and not going to increase value enough to justify. May also have more permitting/zoning issues as well.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 639 times
Default not quite...

I realize I'm late, but after a google search, definitely had to post these negatives to the neighborhood that no one else is posting.

The description of "only nice part is Grandview" is almost entirely accurate.

The area marked "C" is certainly not nice, and it extends out much farther than the borders drawn on that map do.
There are ALWAYS cops all around this entire area, gunshots, constant domestic disputes and loud yelling going on everywhere. Mt. Washington is not "nice" or "very safe" once you get off Grandview.

Plus, There is only one grocery store, and it's sub-par/has limited selection. There are no gyms. There are only one or two restaurants that aren't divey to eat at. There is a TON of trash everywhere (like, literal garbage piled up on sidewalks and in alleys and on the stairs).

Duquesne Heights ("A") is ok. I had to edit my post to correct just this part. But forget about walkability to anything.

There are only a few good streets in section labeled "B". Everything else is sketchy/trashy/garbage laden/etc.

I was going for a walk with a friend up Southern Ave the other day and cops were stopping people asking about reported gun shots at the intersection. Some guy said he thought it was just fireworks. The cops let him know, "no, those were gunshots". If we left 5 mins earlier for our walk, we would have been in the crossfire. Just tons of sketchy people walking all around.

Sure, if you keep about your business and make sure to lock all of your windows and doors and never leave anything within plain view in your car and so on and so on... you'll probably be fine. But who wants to live like that? Especially when there isn't even a great benefit to offset those downsides. You can't walk to anything of any worth other than a few crappy neighborhood bars and a Rite Aid.

The only benefit of living in Mt. Washington is that you can walk to Grandview for the view and have good access to public transit.

Last edited by noone1994; 05-09-2018 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: correction.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:02 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noone1994 View Post
I realize I'm late, but after a google search, definitely had to post these negatives to the neighborhood that no one else is posting.

The description of "only nice part is Grandview" is almost entirely accurate.

The area marked "C" is certainly not nice, and it extends out much farther than the borders drawn on that map do.
There are ALWAYS cops all around this entire area, gunshots, constant domestic disputes and loud yelling going on everywhere. Mt. Washington is not "nice" or "very safe" once you get off Grandview.

Plus, There is only one grocery store, and it's sub-par/has limited selection. There are no gyms. There are only one or two restaurants that aren't divey to eat at. There is a TON of trash everywhere (like, literal garbage piled up on sidewalks and in alleys and on the stairs).

Duquesne Heights ("A") is ok. I had to edit my post to correct just this part. But forget about walkability to anything.

There are only a few good streets in section labeled "B". Everything else is sketchy/trashy/garbage laden/etc.

I was going for a walk with a friend up Southern Ave the other day and cops were stopping people asking about reported gun shots at the intersection. Some guy said he thought it was just fireworks. The cops let him know, "no, those were gunshots". If we left 5 mins earlier for our walk, we would have been in the crossfire. Just tons of sketchy people walking all around.

Sure, if you keep about your business and make sure to lock all of your windows and doors and never leave anything within plain view in your car and so on and so on... you'll probably be fine. But who wants to live like that? Especially when there isn't even a great benefit to offset those downsides. You can't walk to anything of any worth other than a few crappy neighborhood bars and a Rite Aid.

The only benefit of living in Mt. Washington is that you can walk to Grandview for the view and have good access to public transit.
Disagree totally. There are several unique, neat spots in Mt Washington. Actually I think it's one of the last few decent ungentrified neighborhoods left. LOVE Chatham Village area. Many cool places to eat, Kavsar (awesome!), Shiloh, whatever that diner is on the corner (??), etc. Plus access to the ultra-coolest trail system in the city, the Duquesne Heights Greenway.

Jeez, your review makes Mt Washington seem like some war-torn 3rd world country.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:35 PM

595 posts, read 600,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noone1994 View Post
definitely had to post these negatives to the neighborhood that no one else is posting.
I get it, because their user name is no one and they posted this.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 233 times
thank you for all of the responses on this post. I am currently living in Pompano Beach Florida and will be moving to Pittsburgh in the next few weeks. Ive settled on living somewhere on the South side and think I've now settled on a house on chess street. but if any of you locals could give me a feel of that little corner of Mount Washington that would be super helpful. thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh