Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pittsburgh should raise at least $10 million a year in public money to provide more affordable housing for low-income residents, a report released Tuesday contends.

Mayor Bill Peduto said “providing affordable housing to all is likely the most pressing challenge we have.”

City Council created the Affordable Housing Task Force in February 2015 in response to soaring rental rates in neighborhoods such as East Liberty, where development is booming.

The task force will present its 45-page report to Council on Wednesday.

Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

More affordable housing for low-income residents to cost Pittsburgh $10 million a year | TribLIVE
Will be interesting to read the report in full, hopefully it will be publicly available tomorrow.
Will be extremely interesting to see how the proposed referendum plays out.

Last edited by Yac; 06-01-2016 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:58 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
maybe they can raise a few million by requiring school district employees to live in the city, as the police are required to do.

then, they can collect on unpaid taxes by those owners of dilapidated properties.

i would be open to hearing all sides of the issue, but my gut instinct has me opposed to a tax increase as described in this article (above). Is one needed, when the city government can fine tune its productivity and resourcefulness at getting what it is due already.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
maybe they can raise a few million by requiring school district employees to live in the city, as the police are required to do.

then, they can collect on unpaid taxes by those owners of dilapidated properties.

i would be open to hearing all sides of the issue, but my gut instinct has me opposed to a tax increase as described in this article (above). Is one needed, when the city government can fine tune its productivity and resourcefulness at getting what it is due already.
Better chance of stopping corruption and wasteful spending...but they did just raise an extra $10m on parking.

Last edited by erieguy; 05-31-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 08:18 PM

598 posts, read 748,469 times
This is not a bad idea as new housing projects within the city limits will help preventing the crime from spreading out and into inner suburbs.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:18 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Aren't we importing refugees who require ''affordable housing''?

Old 06-01-2016, 05:33 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
This is not a bad idea as new housing projects within the city limits will help preventing the crime from spreading out and into inner suburbs.
If that's the benefit, then you're suggesting there should be a county tax.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:39 AM

No, this is just a beneficial side effect. The real benefit is to the city in the form of affordable housing. The need that is very evident from many discussions on here regarding rising rental prices in the city. I'd let the city take care of it.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:41 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If that's the benefit, then you're suggesting there should be a county tax.

I agree, and then a state tax (because why concentrate refugees in the city). If housing is a concern in Pittsburgh, its a concern in Pennsylvania and should be taxed across the state. After all, if we're not adding them to Scranton's depressed population, Scranton should be happy and help house them in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
No, this is just a beneficial side effect. The real benefit is to the city in the form of affordable housing. The need that is very evident from many discussions on here regarding rising rental prices in the city. I'd let the city take care of it.
Then why did they tear down Terrace Village and St. Clair Village? Those were viable housing projects and the city eliminated them...

Old 06-01-2016, 05:54 AM

Because even those less fortunate deserve a little remodeling every now and again. Besides, such rebuilding adds jobs, helps the economy and improves voting results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh