Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What amenity would improve your own neighborhood the most?
a park 3 9.09%
grocery store 9 27.27%
school 0 0%
book store 3 9.09%
bank 0 0%
drug store 0 0%
post office 0 0%
library 2 6.06%
restaurant - American 4 12.12%
restaurant - ethnic 3 9.09%
restaurant - seafood 0 0%
bar/lounge/club 5 15.15%
laundromat 1 3.03%
dry cleaner 1 3.03%
clothing store 0 0%
big box store (target, walmart, etc) 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 AM

373 posts, read 378,128 times

Advertisements

A Taco Bell in Kaleidoscope Cafe's place, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 09:01 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
A Taco Bell in Kaleidoscope Cafe's place, please.
Ah. Is it vegan-friendly/fair-trade/non-GMO/trans-fat free/farm-to-table/cage-free/no added hormones/gluten-free/locally-sourced enough for the "ahead of the curve" yuppies of Lawrenceville, though?

Come to think of it I'm surprised Wendy's hasn't revamped its location at Butler & 40th yet with the new upscale look that the rest of the chain is sporting. Maybe they're hoping to be bought out and replaced with a SoDoSoPa.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:31 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Definitely need a Rolls Royce dealership closer to McCandless. Takes too long for my butler to take the car to Jersey.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:31 AM

432 posts, read 359,844 times
Oh, yeah, and also good Mexican food in the East End. How can there be no good places from Oakland eastward, except for the taco cart out front of Las Palmas? The best sit-down Mexican I've found is two bus rides away in the Strip District. It's probably the thing I miss most from living out west (West US, not West Pgh).

Last edited by Pughnose; 03-15-2016 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: clarification of just how west

Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 AM

595 posts, read 600,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
The Summit is an awesome place.

For me (Mount Washington) I'd have to say a gym. Mount Washington has everything on your list, but it would be nice to be able to exercise there without leaving in a car to hit the gym.
There is a smaller one on Southern Ave near Shiloh (near the Uzbekistan food place) - but it is quite small.

I'd love it if a Get Go Kitchen came in and replaced that Cogos on Virginia Ave (and took that building on Kearsarge behind it that's been condemned for 20 years that the city refuses to tear down). A hardware store (like an Ace) would be nice too, but the ones in Greentree and Mt. Oliver aren't too far away.

It was pretty nice seeing this list and knowing we have pretty much everything on here.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:57 AM

373 posts, read 378,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ah. Is it vegan-friendly/fair-trade/non-GMO/trans-fat free/farm-to-table/cage-free/no added hormones/gluten-free/locally-sourced enough for the "ahead of the curve" yuppies of Lawrenceville, though?

Come to think of it I'm surprised Wendy's hasn't revamped its location at Butler & 40th yet with the new upscale look that the rest of the chain is sporting. Maybe they're hoping to be bought out and replaced with a SoDoSoPa.
Yeah that Wendy's is surprising to me too. I did hear that it is being remodeled soon, but that was months ago.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:26 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
What I think Morningside most needs is a dedicated sit-down restaurant. You can get takeout pizza if you like, and Bulldog Pub and Bookshelf Cafe both have some food, but they aren't really restaurants. I'd prefer if it was some Asian food (Thai, Indian, etc) but I'd really take anything.
I have only been to the Bulldog Pub once. To me it appeared more of a bar. I would think Morningside would benefit from a casual family style restaurant that also has a bar.

Years ago there was a place in Aspinwall called the Aspinwall Grille. Had a bar along one side and maybe 25 tables. The place was big enough that people were always drinking at the bar and eating at the tables.

Personally, I think a coffee shop is the most important to a neighborhood. Followed by a family/casual restaurant and a take pizza place.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
The best sit-down Mexican I've found is two bus rides away in the Strip District.
Casa Reyna?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:49 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have only been to the Bulldog Pub once. To me it appeared more of a bar. I would think Morningside would benefit from a casual family style restaurant that also has a bar.
It is a bar, but it has a full menu. We even took our kids there once, when we first moved to the neighborhood, although we won't do so again any time soon.

Could you give me some examples of "casual family style restaurants?" Something like Square Cafe? I'm really drawing a blank as to what this means, but it may be because I've been a vegan for nearly 20 years.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:45 PM

778 posts, read 840,151 times
What we really need up here is something like the 53rd Street Market (which is close in two dimensions but not really when you add in the third). A little corner store that sells staples along with coffee and sandwiches and grab and go items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh