Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 8,728 times

Advertisements

As a civil engineer, I checked the geologic maps and found that many areas are susceptible to landslides and/or soil creep (beyond the Mt. Washington area). I have also found several news stories about how landslides often result in legal battles over who is responsible for the slide. I know that damage from landslides and soil creep are not covered by typical homeowner's insurance. Does anyone get supplemental insurance to protect against this or do you just hope for the best? Maybe most of the risk is minor (e.g. new retaining wall needed) rather than losing your entire house.

Last edited by johnsoccer9v; 03-23-2016 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: broaden question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
There are never-ending rock slides on both Rt 28 and Freeport Road across from Oakmont and I wonder if that will ever make it to homes up on the hill. I also look up at Mt. Washington in amazement that all of Grandview just doesn't slide down to the bottom. Some of those places look questionable at best, but I have never heard of an issue. Most of the mud slides around here are due to idiots allowing clean fill be be dumped on their hillsides and they slide into roadways. It happened in Penn Hills a couple of times.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:00 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
I was just looking at the slide areas on Mt Washington yesterday in traffic, I was wondering why they were never sprayed them with crown vetch or another type of ground cover.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:13 PM

10 posts, read 8,728 times
There apparently have been slides along Beechwood Blvd in Greenfield, the slopes between Hazelwood Ave and Calvary Cemetery, and I've heard there is a current issue somewhere in Morningside. I think these are all relatively small slides in comparison to something along Mt. Washington, but they could still cause significant property damage and/or result in significant costs associated with road repair/clean-up. It seems that the homeowner's are typically responsible, but I imagine some of the problems could be blamed on poor utilities/stormwater management by the City. Also, maybe the slide began on my neighbor's property, went through my property, and caused damage to the downhill neighbor. Seems like a messy legal situation, so I'm wondering how damage from slides have been handled in the past.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:39 PM

65 posts, read 87,783 times
Landslides occur throughout this area, and unfortunately anything substantial is too expensive to fix for most homeowners. Water/rainfall are usually a trigger which means you tend to see more this time of year. You mention a slide on a neighbor's property damaging a downhill property, what was done uphill could be what started the issue or you could have an overall problem with the slope.

Sewickley plans to stabilize landslide-prone streets | TribLIVE

Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
There are a few notorious places for landslides, Rte 28 and Mt Washington seems to be the most common, although I've seen a few places in Greenfield that have been victimized as well.

But I don't think that there are as many as one would expect in such a hilly terrain. The rich vegetation on the slopes keeps the dirt pretty much in place in most places .

Old 03-23-2016, 08:56 PM

65 posts, read 87,783 times
This article mentions insurance policies.
Catastrophic landslides unlikely in Pennsylvania, experts say | TribLIVE

This article also gives a brief mention of that.
The Pittsburgh area is prone to landslides, and human activity often makes them worse down town

"A 1986 study identified more than 700 recent and active landslides in Allegheny County"

Old 03-26-2016, 12:51 PM

480 posts, read 611,575 times
Lots of recent landslides on Noblestown Road in the West End

Old 03-26-2016, 02:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
There are two in Riverview Park. One has seriously displaced a prominent trail and has deposited debris on the roadway. Another one affected a home bordering the park.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:12 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
I don't know how frequent landslides are in Pittsburgh, but I've been afraid of changing cause I've built my life around you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh