Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
All that plus, I work there now and figure when I'm old I won't want to get used to new things and I want to be close to Presby in case I need a angioplasty STAT.
You'd be better off near a community hospital, in most cases, in your old age. Presby is fine if you need a 14 hour operation where they have to get your entrails out on the table and give 14 different chemo agents, but I think routine heart attacks or a-fib are boring to them over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 05:47 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You'd be better off near a community hospital, in most cases, in your old age. Presby is fine if you need a 14 hour operation where they have to get your entrails out on the table and give 14 different chemo agents, but I think routine heart attacks or a-fib are boring to them over there.
That's what you want. You want the doctor who does the most of a procedure.

Anyway, most community hospitals aren't close to enough bars and restaurants.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post

Anyway, most community hospitals aren't close to enough bars and restaurants.
I don't know about that, St. Clair is right up the hill from Applebee's and Denny's. My mum always like to stop at those joints on the ride back from a doctor's appointment there.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't know about that, St. Clair is right up the hill from Applebee's and Denny's. My mum always like to stop at those joints on the ride back from a doctor's appointment there.
I haven't eaten in an Applebees since I left Ohio.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:28 AM

51 posts, read 225,468 times
Thanks guys for all the info (including hospitals), greatly appreciated! It seems that this area has a big potential based on the trends of people (old and new) moving to downtowns.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,239 times
if its a straight investment play, there are better options than a north oakland condo. Will you be hiring a property manager? If so, a 2-4 unit building will yield a much better return. Is there an exit strategy or just buy and hold for the foreseeable future?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
if its a straight investment play, there are better options than a north oakland condo.
That's what I was thinking. North Oakland isn't a newly built up or revitalized area. It doesn't have "potential" that that means appreciation. It's already priced high for the region. The trend is stable as far as I know.

If you want to save money while keeping your kid in a safe, nice place, I think it will get you that, but it's not something I'd buy expecting lots of appreciation.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
I would think that the condo fee may make it difficult to cover your mortgage if you rent it out. Unless of course you put a huge chunk down. I was in one of the cheaper condo units years ago. It was a nice size one bedroom. The cheapest building is coop but you can't have a mortgage and doubtful you could rent it out.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:32 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,396,252 times
You never mentioned your kids ages, if they are younger you can throw some money into Hazelwood, the rental income will not be as much but the initial investment will be lower plus you have the chance at a higher sales price.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:58 PM

51 posts, read 225,468 times
Again, thanks all for the provided info, I really appreciate it (hope it will be helpful to others in a similar situation that come across this thread as well). My kids age range from elementary to starting HS next year. My intention is more like a diversification of college funds as I cannot be sure that they will want and/or be accepted to any of the great Pittsburgh colleges (if none of them end up going there then I would sell it to cover college costs in other places), perhaps it will provide some incentive for them (hopefully), so I'm not looking for a big price appreciation; I believe that I have the standard 20% down payment and I would hope that the rent would pay the recurring fees/taxes/mortgage (and possible rental management fee), I would prefer a condo instead of a (small) building/house because I'm very far away and don't want to take on a big liability as well; as I live in a NYC coop I know that only a condo would work for my purposes. You guys in Pittsburgh seem like very nice people, perhaps I should move there myself in the future (NYC is getting crazier by the day). Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh