Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefP View Post
absolutely correct. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and later moved down to NC, in the Raleigh-Durham-Cary region. It's abysmal. There is absolutely no sense of community anywhere. The whole "southern hospitality" thing is a myth. I would absolutely prefer the company of Pittsburghers over North Carolinians anyday. The only ones that seem have any character are the transplanted Northerners. On the subject of climate, yes NC has some great weather sometimes. Spring and fall are generally very nice, with comfortable temperatures. However, you've never experienced hell until youve spent summer in the Carolinas. There are countless 90+ degree days, and the humidity always seems to hit 95% on those days. Don't get me wrong, it gets hot in Pittsburgh. But it feels like a jungle here. I would also prefer a Pittsburgh winter. Winter in NC is high 50 low 30 all the time, and its really pretty boring. Rare snow, just the occaisonal ice storm. Its cold enough to be considered winter but it lacks any of the features (snow, ice, sledding,) which make winter fun. Ever seen a kid try to sled in half an inch of snow? It's pathetic
I love this post!! I would move to Wyoming before I'd move to Raleigh or Charlotte or any Sunbelt city for that matter.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 07-08-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
What's wrong with Wyoming (Other than Dick Cheney)?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What's wrong with Wyoming (Other than Dick Cheney)?
Nothing actually, the thing I wouldn't like is the lack of large cities. Other than that I think WY is a nice state.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM

44 posts, read 116,697 times
nothing is wrong with Wyoming. It is beautiful land beyond belief. However, some people like to be in cities, and Wyoming really doesn't offer that. In Wyoming most can't afford to live in the nice mountain towns Jackson, and towns like Rock Springs, Rawings, and Laramie are just a little too weird. Wyoming is a vacation type place for people who perfer mid-sized metros or large cities.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM

44 posts, read 116,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Nothing actually, the thing I wouldn't like is the lack of large cities. Other than that I think WY is a nice state.
Most think Wyoming is a rugged mountain state. In fact more than half sits in a ugly basin with no mountains, no trees, no nothing. Just empty land with rock piles. The other half is absolutley beautiful.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Wyoming is the tenth largest state in land size but is the least populated, with 522,000 or so acording to the 2007 census. It has actually seen a 5.9 % increase since 2000. That is fairly significant. I guess the weather is similar to Colorado, with a lot of sunshine and subject to extremes in the winter. The University of Wyoming in Larimie is the only four year college in the entire state. That is another interesting fact for such a large state.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Someone on this board once wrote, "Charlotte is like Cranberry with skyscrapers." I couldn't agree more. Charlotte has no soul. It is a city of parking lots, strip malls, big box stores, and glass buildings. Some people like that. I like older cities with character and history. Charlotte had history but it was plowed over decades ago, and any charm it once possessed is gone. Have you ever researched how many historic buildings have been demolished in Charlotte? Go to emporis.com and have a good look.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 AM

6 posts, read 8,511 times
It sounds like cracker has been to basically two spots in his whole life. Not exactly a guy I'd lean on to give me advice on where to plant my butt after the time in the military is up.

If Pittsburgh's infrastructure is a joke, I'd love to hear what he'd say about Tucson and Phoenix after a couple of years out there. I spent 6 years in the Arizona deserts and I pined for home pretty much every single day.

As far as the "Southern Hospitality" thing goes, it really goes person by person with that. Some Southerners are really great people. Some southerners are huge jerks. And some Southerners are flat out redneck idiots. It's really no different than anywhere else I've lived.

And I totally agree that I'd much rather live in a city with history and tradition that dates back before 1900 than live in one of the "big box" cities that currently dominate the South and the West Coast.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghJeremy View Post
It sounds like cracker has been to basically two spots in his whole life. Not exactly a guy I'd lean on to give me advice on where to plant my butt after the time in the military is up.

If Pittsburgh's infrastructure is a joke, I'd love to hear what he'd say about Tucson and Phoenix after a couple of years out there. I spent 6 years in the Arizona deserts and I pined for home pretty much every single day.

As far as the "Southern Hospitality" thing goes, it really goes person by person with that. Some Southerners are really great people. Some southerners are huge jerks. And some Southerners are flat out redneck idiots. It's really no different than anywhere else I've lived.

And I totally agree that I'd much rather live in a city with history and tradition that dates back before 1900 than live in one of the "big box" cities that currently dominate the South and the West Coast.
i agree developers have told everyone in those areas and out here this is the best way to live your life. They said the American Dream is living in a McMansion with a shopping center anchored by a Wal-Mart 5 miles away. This thinking is so 2005 and I'm glad people are finally beginning to revolt against this type of development the Sunbelt is infamous(at least it's infamous in the Northeast and Midwest) for. What they have built there lacks the soul and beauty of the North.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM

371 posts, read 798,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
And I always think of where I was born (Detroit) when people lament about Pittsburgh's decline after the steel industry collapsed. As this index rightly shows, Detroit has done a far worse job handling a similar problem (the collapse of the auto industry).

So while Pittsburgh certainly isn't perfect, it could also be much, much worse.
As I have noted, before, the Pittsburgh numbers are somewhat misleading. While we suffered a significant loss of manufacturing jobs, we experienced a significant increase in the number of health care and higher academic jobs which tended to have higher wages/benefits than the jobs that they replaced. Thus we have a smaller workforce working at higher wages, coupled with a significant loss of the middle class. But we also pay 1.5 times what other communities of our size pay for health care. The median income makes us look like we have a vibrant middle class, but we don't.

Second, whereas many Pittsburgh jobs left for other parts of the country, where the workforce followed, Detroit experienced a precipitous drop in all domestic automobile production (and dominance). This, coupled with stagnant economic growth, left Detroit workers without alternatives. Many Pittsburghers left for jobs in other places. Detroit workers have fewer options.

Finally, one of the reasons that we experienced such growth in our health care and higher education industries is that these entities are not taxed in the same way that other businesses are. This means that individual taxpayers and Pennsylvania businesses subsidize these entities with their tax dollars.

So before we pat ourselves on the back for doing the right thing we should remember that what we have wrought is, at this point, unsustainable. The city can't meet its pension obligations and won't be able to do so without raising taxes. The state is in the same situation with respect to a myriad of problems and social programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh