Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,996,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I'm not surprised. Delicate flowers wilt, sometimes in the mildest of conditions. But I'd say the odds of a person getting shot there by a stranger are extraordinarily low. I would avoid the area during the night of July 4th, but certainly not because I would be afraid of getting shot.
That is a very scary area to walk around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 07:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,949,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The number of shootings seems to have drastically increased this year and the crime is starting to spill over to the tourist areas of the city. I've met friends in town for conventions at Market Square at night. What am I going to say? "Oh, we can't meet there again because of youth shootings." Something has to be done.
I love your analytical approach to the situation. Where do you get your data?

Tell them that they will be fine. I'm assuming that these folks have never spent any significant time in a large city?

I've lived here for decades and I have never been shot. Nor have my friends. But sure, I can only talk from personal experience...

Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
That is a very scary area to walk around.
With the right mentality you can spot demons everywhere.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Tell them that they will be fine. I'm assuming that these folks have never spent any significant time in a large city?

I've lived here for decades and I have never been shot. Nor have my friends. But sure, I can only talk from personal experience...
You do not need data to know with just your eyes that is a potential trouble spot.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,823 times
Quote:
The fourth of July brings gun violence all over the US. That's the kind of society we live in. The more guns there are, the more shootings there will be. I'm already seeing ignorant folks using this incident as a political football to attack our police chief for his "kinder, gentler" approach... so let's put this in context.
Well, his progressive policing model doesn't seem to be paying dividends for increased safety.
Last year, murder rates were at a high, and clearance rates are abysmal. We have an increase thus far into this year (Pittsburgh homicide rate increases slightly in '16 | TribLIVE) in the murder rate.
Now we have people shot downtown after a family-oriented event. Let's face it, they're getting shot after a flippin fireworks show on the Fourth of July. This isn't a St Patricks Day or Cinco de Mayo event where you expect people to be boozed up and rowdy. And this shooting was after a series of riotous fights in pretty much the same location over the course of the last several months.

But the Potatohead mayor's answer is to spend money on preschool... (Peduto: Preschool most important issue for reducing crime | TribLIVE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Comparing shootings in crime ridden areas like the south side of Chicago & parts of Brooklyn that are terrible all the time to downtown Pittsburgh packed with families out to watch a fireworks display is burying ones in the sand at its finest.
Wood St station should just be renamed the OK Corral
I agree with the complaint that the comparison is ridiculous.

Also LOL'd at your suggestion to rename Wood St the OK Corral. That place is turning into the Wild West - more police are certainly needed. I'm tired of the out of control kids and am tired of the people constantly parking on Liberty Ave during rush hour - I saw three moving vans there on Friday during rush hour. We don't need grandiose plans on improving traffic and rerouting buses - how about we just have a cop start making parking tickets fly like confetti? The area is just a literal free-for-all at the moment and needs brought back under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I thought I read the girl died, but was mistaken, so no one died in the shooting as far as I know.
I read one girl is in critical condition after a gunshot wound to the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
How can we parlay this into a number one ranking? Perhaps most people shot in a downtown directory after fireworks shows?
Hahaha - seems more like a list for "Thrillist" if people need some more adrenaline in their lives.. Pamplona has the running of the bulls - we could have the Running of the Progressives, as they try to flee the city during Kenny Chesney concert weekend while dodging the gunfire downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I have been reading about it. Seems to be a location of a lot of fights. Maybe now it will be a location of shootings instead? That would be a logical progression. Think I will steer clear of that area.
It's a dangerous area for sure. I stopped getting on my bus there and started catching it on 9th St instead - a bit more mellow over there. Saw too many aggressive people, but it was the switchblades that I saw that convinced me to grab another stop.

Quote:
I'm not surprised. Delicate flowers wilt, sometimes in the mildest of conditions.
Yes, because 4 people getting shot in a major downtown location after a family-friendly holiday celebration is such a "mild" condition.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
You do not need data to know with just your eyes that is a potential trouble spot.
No. I agree. You could probably perceive the "potential trouble spots" nearly everywhere, with proper conditioning...

Old 07-05-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Well, his progressive policing model doesn't seem to be paying dividends for increased safety.
Last year, murder rates were at a high, and clearance rates are abysmal. We have an increase thus far into this year (Pittsburgh homicide rate increases slightly in '16 | TribLIVE) in the murder rate.
Now we have people shot downtown after a family-oriented event. Let's face it, they're getting shot after a flippin fireworks show on the Fourth of July. This isn't a St Patricks Day or Cinco de Mayo event where you expect people to be boozed up and rowdy. And this shooting was after a series of riotous fights in pretty much the same location over the course of the last several months.

But the Potatohead mayor's answer is to spend money on preschool... (Peduto: Preschool most important issue for reducing crime | TribLIVE)

I agree with the complaint that the comparison is ridiculous.

Also LOL'd at your suggestion to rename Wood St the OK Corral. That place is turning into the Wild West - more police are certainly needed. I'm tired of the out of control kids and am tired of the people constantly parking on Liberty Ave during rush hour - I saw three moving vans there on Friday during rush hour. We don't need grandiose plans on improving traffic and rerouting buses - how about we just have a cop start making parking tickets fly like confetti? The area is just a literal free-for-all at the moment and needs brought back under control.

I read one girl is in critical condition after a gunshot wound to the head.

Hahaha - seems more like a list for "Thrillist" if people need some more adrenaline in their lives.. Pamplona has the running of the bulls - we could have the Running of the Progressives, as they try to flee the city during Kenny Chesney concert weekend while dodging the gunfire downtown

It's a dangerous area for sure. I stopped getting on my bus there and started catching it on 9th St instead - a bit more mellow over there. Saw too many aggressive people, but it was the switchblades that I saw that convinced me to grab another stop.

Yes, because 4 people getting shot in a major downtown location after a family-friendly holiday celebration is such a "mild" condition.
I would discourage a family downtown for an event avoid the area around that bus stop especially after dark.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:43 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,823 times
Quote:
Care to prove him wrong with data of your own to contradict his claim?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:44 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,148,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I've always wondered why there is a Seventh St and a 7th street. Makes no sense. And a Sixth and a 6th St. Unbelievable stupid, no matter how people want to spin it.
What? There's a Seventh St and a Seventh Ave, if that's what you mean, but that's not particularly uncommon or really all that confusing.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Care to prove him wrong with data of your own to contradict his claim?
The onus is on the poster who expressed the assertion to substantiate it. It's not up to me to challenge numbers that were never presented. But thanks for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh