Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:39 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
What? There's a Seventh St and a Seventh Ave, if that's what you mean, but that's not particularly uncommon or really all that confusing.
Of course two streets not connected but in close proximity with the same name isn't confusing. (sarcasm)

Now is a good time to find a couple of examples in cities that have a similarly stupid streety name arrangement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Are you guys for real? I have a new primary stop now, but I was picking up my bus at the Liberty/Wood station mainly for the first nine years I was in Pittsburgh - sometimes after dark, and sometimes with my daughter in tow. It's not even mildly scary. Sure, there are typically a some rowdy teenagers, pandhanders, and often some creepy dudes. But particularly around rush hour there's usually a crowd of 50+ people at all times, which is (except in rare situations like on the 4th this year) the most unlikely time you'd expect trouble.
I said "after dark". I would almost define it as child abuse to take a child to that location after dark. It is common to experience rude and provoking comments at that location.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:47 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
I said "after dark". I would almost define it as child abuse to take a child to that location after dark. It is common to experience rude and provoking comments at that location.
So all the parents taking their kids to events in the cultural district and to gallery crawls, etc. are now "child abusers"? You do realize that for much of the year, it is dark by 8PM?

I've experienced a lot of rude and provoking comments outside of sporting events throughout my life. Are parents "child abusers" for taking the kids to see the Steelers, Pirates, and/or Pens?

That's BOTH extremely ridiculous AND offensive. And ultimately the best example of ignorance I've seen on this board in a long time. Well done!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Quote:
"child abuse", what about the hundreds of mothers who use that stop every day who's only form of transportation if PAT? Step away man, you're starting to come unhinged. Child abuse!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:48 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
After dark is pretty damn early in the winter time.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:51 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Of course two streets not connected but in close proximity with the same name isn't confusing. (sarcasm)

Now is a good time to find a couple of examples in cities that have a similarly stupid streety name arrangement.
I can't tell whether you're joking, because the largest and most famous city in the country has this arrangement. Miami is another example.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:53 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
After dark is pretty damn early in the winter time.
Yes, a sarcastic remark does further this discourse.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Link? I'm curious to read about that part of this story.
They mention it in this article. It states police were called to the scene. There were no doubt fights, but it mostly goes unreported. 4 wounded in Downtown shooting following Fourth of July fireworks | TribLIVE

They also mention 15 were sighted for disorderly conduct here.

Four shot, including 15-year-old, Downtown after fireworks show | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Witnesses also say, "there was a large group", but no one dare say more than that. People also say the police did an amazing job. Also, people were saying there was a very large police presence and they couldn't believe someone would shoot a gun with all the cops around, but it goes to show you the mindset these days.

Imagine being a police officer down there during this. Just like teachers of today, police also have to walk a very fine line or they could lose their job. If you grab some teen fighting and things escalate a cop could lose their job and if that teen is black, it would be even worse because the media could get hold of it and it can go viral. Bye, bye job for that cop. On the news they described the suspect and said he was wearing a white shirt and maybe a white undershirt. Well that will narrow it down. The cops also grabbed someone and had him on the ground, but no one thinks it is the shooter.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:00 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
How can we parlay this into a number one ranking? Perhaps most people shot in a downtown directory after fireworks shows?
Possible. It's not called "The GUINNESS Book of Records" for nothing.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
They mention it in this article. It states police were called to the scene. There were no doubt fights, but it mostly goes unreported. 4 wounded in Downtown shooting following Fourth of July fireworks | TribLIVE

They also mention 15 were sighted for disorderly conduct here.

Four shot, including 15-year-old, Downtown after fireworks show | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Witnesses also say, "there was a large group", but no one dare say more than that. People also say the police did an amazing job. Also, people were saying there was a very large police presence and they couldn't believe someone would shoot a gun with all the cops around, but it goes to show you the mindset these days.

Imagine being a police officer down there during this. Just like teachers of today, police also have to walk a very fine line or they could lose their job. If you grab some teen fighting and things escalate a cop could lose their job and if that teen is black, it would be even worse because the media could get hold of it and it can go viral. Bye, bye job for that cop. On the news they described the suspect and said he was wearing a white shirt and maybe a white undershirt. Well that will narrow it down. The cops also grabbed someone and had him on the ground, but no one thinks it is the shooter.
I find it extremely disrespectful that you continue to bang your drum when a person is fighting for their life at this very moment. What happened was a horrific tragedy, isn't there some Nationalist Front bulletin board you can go to today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh