Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,232,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Does black = criminal? That is what it sounds like to me. I have had not so pleasant encounters with city police and I have never committed a crime. ever. Was Jordan Miles a criminal? We can go back further as well. Was Johnny Gammage a criminal. The amount of ignorance displayed on here and across the country is scary.
Of course it sounds like that to you because you and some others assume those things. It doesn't matter what color anyone is. Don't do the crime and you won't have a problem.

What no so nice encounters have you had with police?

The ignorance is certainly ridiculous. People are way too sensitive and people want coddled, even the criminals. It doesn't work that way, and it shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:57 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,165,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Does black = criminal? That is what it sounds like to me. I have had not so pleasant encounters with city police and I have never committed a crime. ever. Was Jordan Miles a criminal? We can go back further as well. Was Johnny Gammage a criminal. The amount of ignorance displayed on here and across the country is scary.
I wish I could rep this post 100 times.
Some people are clueless that you can get pulled over/harassed by the police for DOING NOTHING. The Johnny Gammage case is a perfect (and tragic) example.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I wish I could rep this post 100 times.
Some people are clueless that you can get pulled over/harassed by the police for DOING NOTHING. The Johnny Gammage case is a perfect (and tragic) example.
Didn't that occur decades ago? Pulled over for no reason? Didn't he get pulled over for driving erratically?

I understand some insist on blaming the past, even generations ago, but perhaps people should stop looking to the past and blaming everyone now for what happened then...but then what could people blame things on.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,165,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Didn't that occur decades ago? Pulled over for no reason? Didn't he get pulled over for driving erratically?

I understand some insist on blaming the past, even generations ago, but perhaps people should stop looking to the past and blaming everyone now for what happened then...but then what could people blame things on.
It happened 20 years ago but it still goes on. It got publicity because of the NFL connection. And he was not driving erratically--he applied his brakes on a graded road.
Maybe you should take the words of people who actually live it?

Old 07-14-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
It happened 20 years ago but it still goes on. It got publicity because of the NFL connection. And he was not driving erratically--he applied his brakes on a graded road.
Maybe you should take the words of people who actually live it?
Report I read was that he was followed for driving erratically, which is why the officer pulled out behind him to begin with.

Pretty tough to make a case for today when constant issues of decades and generations ago are used as examples.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,947,236 times
Here you go. I know some would just naturally assume that a GOP senator is a criminal, but is he just making this up? What do you think, erieguy? (*note: this isn't from "decades ago" either).

Senator Tim Scott Delivered A Personal Speech On His Encounters With Police : NPR

Old 07-14-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Here you go. I know some would just naturally assume that a GOP senator is a criminal, but is he just making this up? What do you think, erieguy? (*note: this isn't from "decades ago" either).

Senator Tim Scott Delivered A Personal Speech On His Encounters With Police : NPR
Good question as to whether or not he's making it up or not, especially now all of a sudden...but I do give him credit for admitting he's been pulled over while speeding. Nice to see he didn't deny it knowing he was wrong.

Any incidents reported here local?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,947,236 times
Quote:
Good question as to whether or not he's making it up or not, especially now all of a sudden...but I do give him credit for admitting he's been pulled over while speeding. Nice to see he didn't deny it knowing he was wrong.

Any incidents reported here local?
If you read up-thread, you'll see at least one poster who has already told you personally about incidents he's experienced. It was in response to your comment and you replied to him. I'm surprised you've forgotten already.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
If you read up-thread, you'll see at least one poster who has already told you personally about incidents he's experienced. It was in response to your comment and you replied to him. I'm surprised you've forgotten already.
And who was that? What was/were the incident/s?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,962,900 times
Quote:
And who was that? What was/were the incident/s?
@ 14 years of age my cousin and i were walking from the busway in Wilkinsburg. It was a weekday morning. It was a nice day and we were off of school.....Jewish holiday or something. Once we reached Hill @ Mill street this white man jumps out of an unmarked car and asked to speak with us. My cousin who was 13 at the time took off running. The white man pulled the biggest gun out on me and i just froze. I was in shock. He then let me know that he was a Wilkinsburg police officer. He had on jeans and at the time i imagined an undercover cop to resemble Crocket and Tubs. We were not big for our age either. We looked like 14 and 13 year olds. They said we were trying to steel cars and my cousin had a screw driver on him. To add insult to injury they interrogated us and said we fit the description of suspects that ran over a drug addict and left the scene days earlier.

Luckily my cousins grandmother was the receptionist for the Wilkinsburg police headquarters. Only after our parents got involved did these fools back off. I lost all respect for police after that. The language they used on us was shameful. Ill never forget my mother crying. She had the "talk" with me after that. Initially i thought the white man was a kidnapper. I was horrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh