Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:00 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Judging present police on at least a decade ago is callous, along with assuming they're all like that, along with all white people. You can't judge everyone the same based on decades and generations ago.
I never said they were all like that. I respect our new police chief. He is fair and willing to have a real discussion concerning race and the disconnect with law enforcement. Ive said before I've noticed the changes on Pittsburgh. Police routinely stop and spark conversations now. They also take time out to talk and play with neighborhood youth. It was wierd at first but you have to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:02 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I never said they were all like that. I respect our new police chief. He is fair and willing to have a real discussion concerning race and the disconnect with law enforcement. Ive said before I've noticed the changes on Pittsburgh. Police routinely stop and spark conversations now. They also take time out to talk and play with neighborhood youth. It was wierd at first but you have to start somewhere.
Response wasn't to you...and yes, they have to start somewhere.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:12 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,448 times
Quote:
Getting shot at by those who have no respect for human life will do that...but judging decades and generations ago is plain wrong.
I agree that, that can affect a person psychologically which at that point maybe they should retire or find another line of work...When they go from to serve and protect to harassing INNOCENT people,overreacting,
excessive force and abuse of authority, then they should take up another line of work. Most cops are good,
and I have not hesitated to call them when I need to.,,However, I am also aware some individuals have no
business being in law enforcement.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:12 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times
Quote:
Response wasn't to you...and yes, they have to start somewhere.
I have yet to know any black person that thinks this way. There are many many black officers across the US. These officers do have black families. We just do not have time to distinguish between who's who. Bad cops are a cancer similar to criminals on the street. We must weed them out and convict them for wrong doing. We are at a cross roads.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I have yet to know any black person that thinks this way. There are many many black officers across the US. These officers do have black families. We just do not have time to distinguish between who's who. Bad cops are a cancer similar to criminals on the street. We must weed them out and convict them for wrong doing. We are at a cross roads.
Pretty sure more white people are shot and killed vs black people but those living in the past will never let go.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:31 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Bad cops are a cancer similar to criminals on the street..
Just to make sure people understand one thing. Bad cops are very few compared to criminals on the street. To compare the numbers would be embarrassing. The amount of black on black crime right now across the country is something that is hard to even grasp. Chicago alone is hard to grasp let alone the US of A. Blacks are really becoming very violent. We all knew it was going to happen after Brown tried to get Wilson's gun and Wilson ended up being fired because of the media. This separation is very back for black people because the,y are wildly outnumbered. In the end this isn't good for my black friends. I just wish they could see it better.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,600 times
Quote:
Pretty sure more white people are shot and killed vs black people but those living in the past will never let go.
"A Post database that tracks fatal shootings by police shows a 6 percent increase in the number of such deaths during the first six months of 2016, compared with the same period last year. Fatal encounters are strikingly similar to last year’s shootings: Blacks continued to be shot at 2.5 times the rate of whites."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...275_story.html

Old 07-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
"A Post database that tracks fatal shootings by police shows a 6 percent increase in the number of such deaths during the first six months of 2016, compared with the same period last year. Fatal encounters are strikingly similar to last year’s shootings: Blacks continued to be shot at 2.5 times the rate of whites."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...275_story.html
Is this from da 'burgh and Pittsburgh police?

Old 07-15-2016, 12:48 AM

LeDuff: More white people than black people are killed by police

Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,100 times
The headline is misleading.

"And it's also worth remembering that white are five times the population than blacks. That means, blacks are 2½ times more likely to be shot by police when adjusting for their proportion of the population."

Also, who wrote and edited this grammatical nightmare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh