Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You like Pittsburgh?
Yes 54 84.38%
Now that I think about it, not really 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer93 View Post
I deleted mine too!
My God, civility on C-D! There may be hope yet for this subforum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM

110 posts, read 80,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
My God, civility on C-D! There may be hope yet for this subforum
Agreed! We (as a society/city/whatever) can accomplish more together in civil discussion than in logically fallacious mudslinging

Old 07-28-2016, 11:05 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Agreed! We (as a society/city/whatever) can accomplish more together in civil discussion than in logically fallacious mudslinging
What are you, a time traveller from the Victorian Era???

Old 07-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
What are you, a time traveller from the Victorian Era???
If you look carefully, I am standing by the old Monongahela Point Bridge:

Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Interesting! I'd seen that print before, but never noticed until now that some of the bridges were covered bridges!!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Interesting! I'd seen that print before, but never noticed until now that some of the bridges were covered bridges!!
Indeed! 1902 was such a perfect year to make this engraving for archiving the city. 5 years later, the old Union Bridge (the one going to Allegheny City at the point opposite the Monongahela Point Bridge) was torn down and replaced over a few years with what we knew as the Manchester Bridge. Most people when they see this print assume it is the Manchester, when in fact it's a much older covered bridge from the 1870s! So cool!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 AM

18 posts, read 13,687 times
Quote:
I will argue that the City of Pittsburgh (emphasis here on the city, not the areas around it which are NOT Pittsburgh as far as I am concerned...)
I will argue that areas around it CAN be considered Pittsburgh, unless you're going with a very narrow minded definition. In other words, if someone lives in Plum Boro PA and is visiting friends in California and someone asks them where they're from, do you really think it's reasonable to say "I'm from Plum Boro!", or do you suppose it's perhaps more reasonable to say "I'm from Pittsburgh!"?

Quote:
The myriad people in my life who I've heard complain the most about the city are the suburbanites who have either never lived in the city, are not widely traveled, are closet racists, or often all three.
Allow me to be someone that defies your stereotype. I've lived in the city (Mt. Washington, Greenfield), have been overseas and all over the US, and I'm not a racist (closet or otherwise). I generally like the city, but would never live there, and am very happy I don't work there. However, I do visit for hockey, football, baseball, symphony, and conventions. I even go to restaurants down there as well.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:35 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
At first glance I thought this was going to be the Alternate Histories version with the sea monster: View of Pittsburgh circa 1902 | Alternate Histories

Old 07-28-2016, 11:42 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_go_pens View Post
I will argue that areas around it CAN be considered Pittsburgh, unless you're going with a very narrow minded definition. In other words, if someone lives in Plum Boro PA and is visiting friends in California and someone asks them where they're from, do you really think it's reasonable to say "I'm from Plum Boro!", or do you suppose it's perhaps more reasonable to say "I'm from Pittsburgh!"?

Allow me to be someone that defies your stereotype. I've lived in the city (Mt. Washington, Greenfield), have been overseas and all over the US, and I'm not a racist (closet or otherwise). I generally like the city, but would never live there, and am very happy I don't work there. However, I do visit for hockey, football, baseball, symphony, and conventions. I even go to restaurants down there as well.
You don't like the city if you wouldn't live or work in it. You like the sports and culture, not the city.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_go_pens View Post

To the first part, I think with some municipal annexations there are places that one might have high in mind to be considered a more integral part of the city than they are now (here's looking at you, Mt. Oliver...). But yes, of course, if you're travelling outside the area say you're from Pittsburgh. It's easy shorthand and it helps outsiders orient your origins in a reasonable way. But, I have had instances where I've asked people in Western PA where they are from and they'll say "Pittsburgh," to which I ask what neighborhood. The reply might be, "oh, well, I'm actually from Peters Twp./Cranberry/McMurray/Monroeville/etc." and then I am left disappointed that I haven't met a potential new neighbor haha

And I totally believe you, there are thousands that defy that stereotype in our region alone. You're living your life as you see fit, and I would be morally bankrupt if I were angry at that fact alone! If you were to say "Pittsburgh is a dump," I and many others might have a problem. Saying "I have different life preferences but respect the choices of others" (as you have done just now) is a nice sentiment that I don't see why people could get mad at that.

And, as a friendly reminder, today is July 28th and Phil Kessel is a Stanley Cup champion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh