Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,305 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Pittsburgh and taking a job offer at UPMC Presby. However, I would ideally like to live as close to work as possible so I could walk. As I'm not too familiar with the area I don't know how safe this is for a 28 year old female or if even possible in that area. I wouldn't mind public transportation however the job is mainly days with rotating call-ins over night.

Any information, recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:44 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaBee View Post
I am considering moving to Pittsburgh and taking a job offer at UPMC Presby. However, I would ideally like to live as close to work as possible so I could walk. As I'm not too familiar with the area I don't know how safe this is for a 28 year old female or if even possible in that area. I wouldn't mind public transportation however the job is mainly days with rotating call-ins over night.

Any information, recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Oakland is very urban and it would be a breeze to walk to work. I would look at North Oakland for apartments (a large new building is going up now on N Craig and Centre ave).

The area isn't dangerous but it is urban and bustling with lots of people. Being sensible, you should be fine. My 20 year old sister lives in Oakland and goes to Pitt (I did too), and she's never had any problems.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2016, 06:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Oakland is very urban and it would be a breeze to walk to work. I would look at North Oakland for apartments (a large new building is going up now on N Craig and Centre ave).
That's what I'd do, assuming budget isn't a problem. Or in the parts of Shadyside that are next to North Oakland. Shadyside would put you a little closer to amenities and restaurants while still being within a long walk or a short bus trip.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:57 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
If you can afford it, I'd consider the just completed SkyVue apartments. It's supposed to be catering more for a professional crowd. Most of the housing options in that portion of Oakland are meant for undergraduates, thus kinda...student slummy.

If that doesn't work for you, North Oakland is better, as it's more graduate student and less undergrad heavy.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:38 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,160 times
I am in Squirrel Hill south, and as a single female have been very comfortable with my choice of home.

The apartment above me has just come available. It would be very convenient to UPMC presby. I work in a building very near there. My commute is generally about 20 minutes by bus or 15 by car. I have walked home from work a few times and it takes me just under an hour. Great landlord. Pet Friendly.

Bright and Light! Pet Friendly! Deluxe 1 bed Sq Hill/Greenfield

Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,305 times
Thanks for the replies and info, guys!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you can afford it, I'd consider the just completed SkyVue apartments. It's supposed to be catering more for a professional crowd. Most of the housing options in that portion of Oakland are meant for undergraduates, thus kinda...student slummy.

If that doesn't work for you, North Oakland is better, as it's more graduate student and less undergrad heavy.
It's not finished yet, but I think Pitt leased some of the rooms for student housing. I saw some kids moving in yesterday with some Pitt volunteers directing traffic. So it won't be all professionals.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:57 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
There are some inexpensive condos in older buildings in North Oakland.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:39 AM

115 posts, read 100,063 times
Somewhere on Wiley or Herron should be a quick walk to the shuttle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh