Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM

140 posts, read 166,265 times

Advertisements

Depending on your school district needs, I would highly recommend Carnegie itself or Crafton. Both are absolutely spectacular and walkable neighborhoods!

Also, If you're not a fan of that particular school district (It is a nice district, but small..), Ingram might be another great option. It is essentially an extension of Crafton, but with a different (larger) school.

BTW: As AnneWest mentioned, it would definitely be a good idea to learn the proper pronunciation "Carnegie".. This video shows the appropriate pronunciation: (use the Scottish pronunciation while in the Pittsburgh area & you will fit right in )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkWsv7ZLgn4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 09:57 AM

595 posts, read 600,668 times
My $.02

1. Mt. Lebanon - overall best option
2. Crafton - Not quite as nice as Sewickley, but still a nice/safe area that's extremely walkable and a very short commute and walking distance to groceries
3. Sewickley - Nice area, longer commute, fairly walkable but things like a grocery store you'd still need to drive to (though there is a very very small one in Sewickly)
4. Dormont - Tons of shops and things to walk to, but still need to drive to get groceries (or take the T or an Uber/Lyft)
5. Green Tree - The area north of Mansfield is walkable to the Noblestown Rd business district. The rest of the borough is very nice too, just a bit less walkable (outside of Rook).
6. Brookline - Technically in the city limits of Pittsburgh which is why I ranked it last, but it's still semi-suburban in feel has a very walkable business district with groceries, food, banking, etc. It's also a short commute to Carnegie.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 1,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Mt Lebo was the first thing that came to mind, but also Carnegie itself as it’s downtown area is really starting to pick up with new restaurants and what not.
Hi, I have accepted a job in Washington, but I'm in love with Sewickley's downtown/Main Street. Any guesstimate of the commute time?

Thanks so much!

Old 12-28-2016, 03:58 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheels View Post
Hi, I have accepted a job in Washington, but I'm in love with Sewickley's downtown/Main Street. Any guesstimate of the commute time?

Thanks so much!
Google map it. 79 is not too bad around 30 min but you can get held up on 65 by the bridge. Sometimes it seems longer to get to 79 than it does to travel on it.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The thing to remember with Mount Lebanon is that not all of it is very walkable, no matter what people claim. IMHO the only two walkable areas are the around the Uptown business district on Washington Road, along with the little Beverly Avenue business district. Make sure you're within a 5-15 minute walk of one of those.

If you prioritize walkability over school districts, I'd pick Dormont over Mount Lebanon.
Presumably the OP could tell if a house was "walkable" by his standards when he saw it and took a look at the surrounding area.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:33 AM

96 posts, read 73,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheels View Post

Thanks so much!
45 minutes or so, maybe closer to an hour depending on where you start/end up in each of those towns.

This isn't a horrible commute. 79 is due for a widening between Bridgeville and Washington and I do believe this is included in PennDOT's 12-year plan. As a result it can occasionally flow slowly at peak times but never the kinds of stop and go backups you will see closer to the city unless there's an accident.

A huge project will be starting soon at the Washington County Line to create a new interchange with the next section of a toll road that goes to the airport.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:24 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times
Too bad you want to stay within a half hour of Carnegie because if you were willing to live farther away than that than you could save a lot of money in regards to property taxes by choosing a community in one of the outlining counties, i.e., Washington, Butler, Beaver, Fayette, Westmoreland or Armstrong. I personally don't know about any particular walkable communities in the outlining counties but I've heard Zelienople has the traditional downtown that you mentioned and that's in Butler County. Anyway, since you want to stay within a half hour of Carnegie than I would recommend Carnegie itself, like someone else mentioned. If you do go with Carnegie though, I would recommend sticking to the area closest to Main Street, for walkability purposes. IDK about the school district it's in, but, IMO, as long as the school isn't overrun with thugs, making it hard for good students to learn, than it's really up to the student to make the most of their education, not the school.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:14 AM

4 posts, read 1,912 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post
45 minutes or so, maybe closer to an hour depending on where you start/end up in each of those towns.

This isn't a horrible commute. 79 is due for a widening between Bridgeville and Washington and I do believe this is included in PennDOT's 12-year plan. As a result it can occasionally flow slowly at peak times but never the kinds of stop and go backups you will see closer to the city unless there's an accident.

A huge project will be starting soon at the Washington County Line to create a new interchange with the next section of a toll road that goes to the airport.
We haven't made a decision yet as to where we will live, but Sewickley looks like a great place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh