Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:21 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,413,737 times

Advertisements

For electric, I have Penn Power and have had no complaints. Their rates are fair and they're reliable and quick on service. I think for fixed vs variable, it all pretty much washes out. They wouldn't offer it if it really made a difference in their profits. It's a marketing or "feel good" option. We're a family of 4 in an 3000+ sq/ft all electric house and our bills are pretty constant at around $200/month.

I would take Armstrong over DirecTV any day. Armstrong's customer service is 2nd to none. If you have a problem (which is very rare), they're normally there the same day at no charge. I've heard hundreds of horror stories about Directv's customer service. Their offerings are comparable to any other other TV/phone/internet provider in terms of services provided. What I do like about Armstrong is you're not as locked in as other companies. We've had no problems changing services from month-to-month based on our wants/needs for that period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 AM

560 posts, read 455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
For electric, I have Penn Power and have had no complaints. Their rates are fair and they're reliable and quick on service. I think for fixed vs variable, it all pretty much washes out. They wouldn't offer it if it really made a difference in their profits. It's a marketing or "feel good" option. We're a family of 4 in an 3000+ sq/ft all electric house and our bills are pretty constant at around $200/month.

I would take Armstrong over DirecTV any day. Armstrong's customer service is 2nd to none. If you have a problem (which is very rare), they're normally there the same day at no charge. I've heard hundreds of horror stories about Directv's customer service. Their offerings are comparable to any other other TV/phone/internet provider in terms of services provided. What I do like about Armstrong is you're not as locked in as other companies. We've had no problems changing services from month-to-month based on our wants/needs for that period.
Thank you! Yeah I think the apartments might be all electric, but I would need to look again. I know none of them had gas stoves which is what I'm use to having.

I love DirecTV. I've had no issues with customer service and we've had them 9 years now. They always have deals and come to fix issues of we need them. Maybe we are just lucky. I know I can't get them in the apartments

Armstrong is just cable? Is Zoom there Internet?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Variable rates seem like a great idea until we have a winter like 2013/14. I made the mistake of going with a variable rate company. My electric bill went from about $30 a month in August to $90 a month in December to over $400 for the months of Jan and Feb. Some people ended up with bills over $1000 for One month.

Stick with a fixed rate company, preferably one with no contract. Yes it might cost a little more at first but you have the option to change companies if they suddenly jack up their rates.
Oh wow that is a huge increase and you never know how the winter will be. Looks like fixed is the way to go. When I was looking last night I had never seen so many choices. It was a lot.

The advice has been great

Old 09-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Armstrong is just cable? Is Zoom there Internet?
Armstrong is the name of the company. Zoom (xxx@zoominternet.net) is the name for their internet service.

Since you mentioned apartment, are you allowed to pick your own electric provider (any landlord rules?)? At minimum, you'll need to make sure you have your own meter.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Armstrong is the name of the company. Zoom (xxx@zoominternet.net) is the name for their internet service.

Since you mentioned apartment, are you allowed to pick your own electric provider (any landlord rules?)? At minimum, you'll need to make sure you have your own meter.
The one I am really looking into they said you can. The leasing office lady was the one who told me about the options to choose. She told me to make sure I always read the fine print though if I pick a company that isn't Penn Power.

The one I am looking at I know has a deal with Armstrong and they pay for it. She said if I wanted a different speed or more channels than they bill me the difference.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:17 AM

If you don't spend a lot of time on an Xbox, their standard speed and data is fine for most. We used to have extra channels but switched to Netflix and Amazon Prime instead.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
If you don't spend a lot of time on an Xbox, their standard speed and data is fine for most. We used to have extra channels but switched to Netflix and Amazon Prime instead.
I don't use Xbox. What is the standard? We use to have Verizon DSL before e switched to Comcast and I know with DSL we couldn't go anything. I have Netflix now and I might add Hulu or something as long as the Internet can handle it.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:47 AM

Here's a page with their internet options.
Armstrong Zoom Internet Service Levels

I believe their standard household service option is "Zoom".

We run Zoom III but I think that's more for the monthly data allowance than the speed. I think the standard Zoom allows 150G/month. Zoom III gives us 500G/month and since my son has an Xbox, we burn through all of that.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Here's a page with their internet options.
Armstrong Zoom Internet Service Levels

I believe their standard household service option is "Zoom".

We run Zoom III but I think that's more for the monthly data allowance than the speed. I think the standard Zoom allows 150G/month. Zoom III gives us 500G/month and since my son has an Xbox, we burn through all of that.
Data allowance like how Verizon has data for phones? Oh. Comcast here isn't one of the states that does data allowances. I just know we have a speed. That's interesting.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:24 AM

Yes on the data allowances. Watching Armstrong TV doesn't count but your internet usage (including streaming video) has an allowance. Unless you're running a Xbox or some other data heavy internet application, it's normally not an issue for a household.

From their site:
Typical Usage by Account Type: Residential: 79 GB, Business: 95 GB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh