Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:47 AM

807 posts, read 616,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
People brought up Dormont, which made me think of this house. In terms of location, it's amazing. The house is literally a one-minute walk to the T station. It's also right at the corner of the Patomac business district, which is only three blocks long, but it's best urban-style business district in the suburbs. The house looks dated in terms of decor, but isn't structurally bad. Only problem is it's right next door to a gas station, and the T goes by your front door, but if you're used to living in an urban area, those aren't a horrible detraction.

I don't know, Eschaton -- that place has been listed off/on again for, literally, years (see brief history below from Zillow). Nice size house for the money (and it's only 1 min to the T station if you count the time to get out of bed and brush your teeth [!] -- more like 10 seconds); however, that location appears to be a real sticking point for buyers.

10/21/2013 – listed for sale - $179k

10/27/2014 – listing removed (was then listed for $139.9k)

11/11/2015 – listed for sale - $150k

12/12/2015 – listing removed

7/25/2016 – listed for sale – $155k

10/22/2016 – price change, lowered to $124.9k

Source: Condensed data from Zillow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Someone else on this forum may be able to give you more appropriate info regarding the "magnet school system." That being said, it may be wise to seek out that info as well, as my impression of the magnet = city schools, residency requirements and/possibly fees if not in the city. Again, I may be incorrect. There are many varied school districts surrounding the city in the suburbs and close in neighborhoods etc. Once again, if schools are a driving factor in your residence choice, you may want to delve further into this topic with more research. Good luck, and welcome!
Yes, it is true that unless you live in the city, you need to pay tuition as is the case in a private school if you wish to attend - something done rarely unless you're talking about CAPA (the Downtown arts middle/high school). I'm not sure why you'd want to though, unless maybe you bought in the non-city portions of Regent Square or something. Anywhere else the neighborhood schools will be acceptable.

Quote:
Which is why I mentioned Mt. Lebanon in my initial response to the OP's query. This, to me, is a community which seemed to fit the OP's stated, and general,requirements, even without speculating on a price point, to rent or buy. It seemed like a great place to start, if only, from a parachuting in perspective.
There's certainly homes available at that price point in Mt. Lebanon. You have to be careful though, because if you're used to city living, there's only a small area round Uptown Mount Lebanon I'd say gives you an urban lifestyle.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Actually, eschaton, there are 3 varied and distinct business districts and the neighborhood roads are twisty and interconnecting in interesting ways, and many more people are able to take advantage of walking and obtaining an urban feel than some may believe. That being said, not ALL parts and streets with a Mt. Lebanon address/zip are walkable to these as you state, but a great many are and most do have sidewalks. And most children walk to their schools, as no buses in the system, I believe. And the "locals" appear to state where they live according to their neighborhood elementary school

It is a community WORTH checking out, for many reasons, for anyone parachuting in to the Pittsburgh region on a relocation. OP appears accustomed to a California urban and other criteria he mentioned seem to fit, at least for a first look. Always tradeoffs in any relocation, absolutely; but with desires of school district and urban feel as the apparent driving criteria for a decision, then throw in community involvement with varied amenities and close to downtown Pittsburgh with public transport, I will mention Mt. Lebanon any time. ( kind of feel defensive here, don't know why the paranoids are after me so I will mention that I DO NOT reside in Lebo)

Additionally, back to the business district topic, there are some Lebo addresses that are actually bordering other communities' business districts such as Dormont etc. and therefore walkable to those but with the indisputably excellent Mt. Lebanon schools.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 12-07-2016 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: mistakenly mentioned direct public transport to Oakland...

Old 12-07-2016, 12:09 PM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yes, it is true that unless you live in the city, you need to pay tuition as is the case in a private school if you wish to attend - something done rarely unless you're talking about CAPA (the Downtown arts middle/high school). I'm not sure why you'd want to though, unless maybe you bought in the non-city portions of Regent Square or something. Anywhere else the neighborhood schools will be acceptable.

There's certainly homes available at that price point in Mt. Lebanon. You have to be careful though, because if you're used to city living, there's only a small area round Uptown Mount Lebanon I'd say gives you an urban lifestyle.
Not very urban at all, I agree. I'd feel very isolated in Mt. Lebanon if I were used to a moderately dense urban environment.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Actually, eschaton there are 3 varied and distinct business districts and the neighborhood roads are twisty and interconnecting in interesting ways, and many more people are able to take advantage of walking and obtaining an urban feel than some may believe. That being said, not ALL parts and streets with a Mt. Lebanon address/zip are walkable to these as you state, but a great many are and most do have sidewalks.
I like the Beverly Road business district, but it's small (just a block long) and not too far from Uptown (around 20 minutes on foot). If I picked Mount Lebanon, I'd ideally pick one of the residential areas to the west of Uptown, to be in decent walking distance to both.

I don't think there's anything else worth calling a business district. There are smatterings around Castle Shannon Boulevard and Shady Drive E, Castle Shannon Boulevard and Scott Road, and on Broodmoor Avenue, but none are what I would call a full-on business district. The one by Scott Road comes the closest, and it has less than ten businesses. The other two have less than five. Besides these, all Mount Lebanon has is strip malls.

Quote:
It is a community WORTH checking out, for many reasons, for anyone parachuting in to the Pittsburgh region on a relocation.
The OP said they were living in an urban neighborhood out west in a small housing unit with their child, and don't have a car. They are willing to buy a car, but want to continue to live that lifestyle as much as possible. Are you sincerely telling me you think the bulk of Mt. Lebanon would offer that lifestyle?

Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
2809 Voelkel Ave, Dormont, PA 15216 - realtor.com®

2 blocks from the T. Decent schools, 2 blocks to the Dormont business district. 3 to 4 blocks to the Beechview business district. Dormont Park and pool nearby and to die for.

Last edited by Goinback2011; 12-07-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 12:41 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Here's one in Beechview within walking distance of the T and the Broadway business district: 1649 Methyl St, Beechview, PA 15216 - realtor.com®

Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM

271 posts, read 331,921 times
Quote:
Actually, eschaton, there are 3 varied and distinct business districts and the neighborhood roads are twisty and interconnecting in interesting ways, and many more people are able to take advantage of walking and obtaining an urban feel than some may believe. That being said, not ALL parts and streets with a Mt. Lebanon address/zip are walkable to these as you state, but a great many are and most do have sidewalks. And most children walk to their schools, as no buses in the system, I believe. And the "locals" appear to state where they live according to their neighborhood elementary school

It is a community WORTH checking out, for many reasons, for anyone parachuting in to the Pittsburgh region on a relocation. OP appears accustomed to a California urban and other criteria he mentioned seem to fit, at least for a first look. Always tradeoffs in any relocation, absolutely; but with desires of school district and urban feel as the apparent driving criteria for a decision, then throw in community involvement with varied amenities and close to Oakland or downtown Pittsburgh with public transport, I will mention Mt. Lebanon any time. ( kind of feel defensive here, don't know why the paranoids are after me so I will mention that I DO NOT reside in Lebo)

Additionally, back to the business district topic, there are some Lebo addresses that are actually bordering other community business districts such as Dormont etc. And therefore walkable, but with the indisputably excellent Mt. Lebanon schools
One quibble -- I commute in from near Mt. Lebo nearly daily, and I wouldn't say that all parts are "close" to Downtown and Oakland. Maybe in total miles from Downtown or Oakland (less than 10 miles), but from where I commute (right on Mt. Lebo/Scott Township border), it takes me 45 minutes during morning and evening rush to get to and from Downtown, regardless of whether I drive, take the 41 bus, or drive to the T.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
One quibble -- I commute in from near Mt. Lebo nearly daily, and I wouldn't say that all parts are "close" to Downtown and Oakland. Maybe in total miles from Downtown or Oakland (less than 10 miles), but from where I commute (right on Mt. Lebo/Scott Township border), it takes me 45 minutes during morning and evening rush to get to and from Downtown, regardless of whether I drive, take the 41 bus, or drive to the T.
Ok, thanks, I will defer to you on that, I did not realize it takes that long these days! There was a time when that commute was 11 minutes, however I refuse to date myself and tell you when that was, as I just did the math and it isn't pretty! Also, I see that I said close to Oakland via public transport and did not mean to state that...and will correct. I think I obtained Oakland from the title and the OP was considering Oakland, I guess. Definitely not able to get easily to Oakland from Mt. Lebo, via public transport, but to downtown Pittsburgh, public transport is indeed an option and available.

Thanks, RonSantoRules, I stand corrected on timing and the other mistake re Oakland.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 12-07-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 01:14 PM

If I was going to pick a suburb on the OP's budget, I'd pick Dormont. Housing options are pretty good at that price point, schools are fine, it probably has the best suburban business district (in terms of urban feel, not sheer size), and you get access to the T. Again though, I'd be choosy with location - I'd try to get as close to Patomac Station as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh