Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:40 AM

20 posts, read 44,111 times

Advertisements

Been on a real BBQ kick lately and was wondering where the best place to get BBQ is at. Preferably, I'd like to stay in the Lawrence, Beaver and Butler counties, along with the North Hills, but if it's really, really good, I don't mind traveling to try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 10:39 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,395,235 times
Unfortunately, I don't think pgh has any top of the line BBQ places. I go here when I am in the mood Two Brothers Bar-B-Q Restaurant & Catering but their beef brisket is nasty. Their pulled pork is some of the best I have had locally. There is also BBQ | Hog Fathers BBQ in Washington pa

Old 12-16-2016, 10:56 AM

96 posts, read 73,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think pgh has any top of the line BBQ places. I go here when I am in the mood Two Brothers Bar-B-Q Restaurant & Catering but their beef brisket is nasty. Their pulled pork is some of the best I have had locally. There is also BBQ | Hog Fathers BBQ in Washington pa
Those two are the ones that always get mentioned and therefore are widely considered to be the "best" in the Pittsburgh area.

I wouldn't rule out trying Z Best BBQ on Fifth near the arena. They started out in a tiny storefront on Herron Ave in the Hill several years ago and moved into the bigger and better located space a couple of years ago. I regret not having tried them yet.

Since you said you don't mind travelling, I have to put in a plug for DeeJay's in Wheeling. Everyone I know from Pittsburgh and Washington County that love ribs swear by the place. Despite having all of the above in their backyard, many will gladly make the 45-60 min trek every so often when that craving hits.

I can't offer much firsthand because my taste in BBQ isn't as refined as some's, but I've heard a lot of chatter and I doubt you will hear of anything else that has near the reputation of all of the above.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:00 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post
Those two are the ones that always get mentioned and therefore are widely considered to be the "best" in the Pittsburgh area.

I wouldn't rule out trying Z Best BBQ on Fifth near the arena. They started out in a tiny storefront on Herron Ave in the Hill several years ago and moved into the bigger and better located space a couple of years ago. I regret not having tried them yet.
Love Z Best.....unfortunately I think their days are numbered as I believe I saw a for sale sign on the building last time I passed there.

Twelve Whiskey Barbeque on Carson St is pretty good

Old 12-16-2016, 11:05 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,611 times
While it won't be a popular choice due to the location, stigma and prices, I actually had some great brisket at Pork and Beans.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
While it won't be a popular choice due to the location, stigma and prices, I actually had some great brisket at Pork and Beans.
Stigma?

Old 12-16-2016, 12:45 PM

271 posts, read 332,316 times
If you're willing to travel, head to Clem's Cafe in Blairsville: Clem's Cafe - Barbecue Restaurant | Blairsville, PA.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:28 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Stigma?
It is more of a yuppie place than a down-to-earth, roadside BBQ joint. Not a terrible thing, mind you, just a "new Pittsburgh" kind of place that some people resent or otherwise write off due to the crowd that patronizes it.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:15 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
It is more of a yuppie place than a down-to-earth, roadside BBQ joint. Not a terrible thing, mind you, just a "new Pittsburgh" kind of place that some people resent or otherwise write off due to the crowd that patronizes it.
You've reminded me of Smoke Taqueria at 41st and Butler. Very good, though also very nouveau. https://smokepgh.com Cash only, btw. Unfortunately, there was a two-hour wait last Saturday night around 7, and we ended up at some empty bar down the street.

Do people really mind that a restaurant is "new Pittsburgh"?

Old 12-17-2016, 08:53 AM

354 posts, read 475,852 times
Showcase and Dream in Homewood are the best two places in the city, imo. Clem's and DJs are good if you are willing to drive. Selma out on University Dr in Moon is solid. Not a lot of great BBQ around this area, seems to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh