Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:07 AM

34 posts, read 28,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Pittsburgh has seen little to no growth in the last 3 years. Obama had nothing to do with the slight bump in employment we saw 4-5 years ago. It was the universities, and the shale energy companies that caused the slight improvement in the economy, but as both of those sectors have stopped growing, so has the growth we saw.

Trump's pro-business policies will do more for Pittsburgh than anything Obama, Bush, Clinton ever did.

I don't expect steel mills to come back, but the pro-business atmosphere will spur economic growth nationwide, and will hopefully improve the economy here as well.
There are plenty of jobs open nationwide. More openings than businesses can currently fill. The problem is people don't want to relocate for the job, they want the job to come to them. Sorry, but what good is it going to do to create more jobs in addition to the ones currently going unfilled? Addionally People lack the skills and training for the current openings. That is a result of a subpar education system. You can create all the jobs in the world but if Americans don't have the skills and we refuse immigrants what good is it? This country had been pro business growth for years. We blew it with education costs and allowing Americans to sit at home and cry that their town has no jobs.

The government should give incentives and tax breaks to people that relocate elsewhere for work. Plus public education and tech schools should be reduced or free to polish your skills to find work and fill one of the jobs open

Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Trump's pro-business policies will do more for Pittsburgh than anything Obama, Bush, Clinton ever did.
You must have been living elsewhere or under a rock if you feel Obama didn't do much for our region. We got more international press from the G-20, a tech conference and other events Obama brought to Pittsburgh. Some might say Obama put us on the international map. Presidents don't come to Pittsburgh once elected, but that wasn't the case with Obama. As far as business goes, time will tell. I am optimistic overall, but cautious. Lets hope for a great 2017 and beyond. I feel the past several years have been GREAT to be honest and if people feel these aren't good times, well you are really in for something when we hit a rough patch like when bush was in there.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You must have been living elsewhere or under a rock if you feel Obama didn't do much for our region. We got more international press from the G-20, a tech conference and other events Obama brought to Pittsburgh. Some might say Obama put us on the international map. Presidents don't come to Pittsburgh once elected, but that wasn't the case with Obama. As far as business goes, time will tell. I am optimistic overall, but cautious. Lets hope for a great 2017 and beyond. I feel the past several years have been GREAT to be honest and if people feel these aren't good times, well you are really in for something when we hit a rough patch like when bush was in there.
I could not agree more! 👍

Old 03-12-2017, 07:53 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
On that note, this topic was just a thinly-veiled political rant, so it should be closed.
Well, it's being closed sort of depends which side is faring better in the tit-for-tat debate.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:52 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Obama did bring some publicity to Pittsburgh, but look at where the jobs came from, they come from sectors that were going to grow even if Obama never came here, that's just a fact.

Obama continued on with all the job killing policies we're seen since Bush Sr., I can assure you Obama did nothing for Pittsburgh's economy.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:33 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Obama did bring some publicity to Pittsburgh, but look at where the jobs came from, they come from sectors that were going to grow even if Obama never came here, that's just a fact.

Obama continued on with all the job killing policies we're seen since Bush Sr., I can assure you Obama did nothing for Pittsburgh's economy.
Bingo.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:59 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:

By "job-killing policies" do you mean environmental regulations?

Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:

I agree with your first point. But Obama promoted Pittsburgh. He was the figurehead of our nation giving us publicity and making people take a second look here.

I disagree with your second statement plenty of open jobs. Few qualified applicants and people refusing to move where the jobs are.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:32 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghboy1 View Post
I disagree with your second statement plenty of open jobs. Few qualified applicants and people refusing to move where the jobs are.
Not sure what has happened between now and the 1950s. That's before my time but I've heard that getting jobs back then was easy. To get a really good position, you just needed a college degree ("college boy"). It's getting hard now as companies insist you have to have all the necessary skills and experience to be considered. College, for the most part, doesn't give you that. Companies just don't want to train.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Not sure what has happened between now and the 1950s. That's before my time but I've heard that getting jobs back then was easy. To get a really good position, you just needed a college degree ("college boy"). It's getting hard now as companies insist you have to have all the necessary skills and experience to be considered. College, for the most part, doesn't give you that. Companies just don't want to train.
The jobs of today require some technical or college training. The days of producing widgets by hand an learning one job skill you can work for 30 years make good money and retire are long gone. Everything changes and technology evolves. If you don't keep up with the latest training and technology you will be left behind. Jobs available in Pittsburgh are highly skilled. They are going unfilled because the locals don't qualify and most outsiders are choosing newer cities with better weather and growing populations. Motivating somebody to learn a new skill and relocate from small town pa into pittsburgh is literally impossible.

Job woes in pa have more to do with a workforce lacking the skills for 21st century jobs. If regulation and taxes were true business killers then nobody would be living in California or New York City.

Pittsburgh is a niche city. Along with most others in the rust belt. If you are trained in that niche you will always have a job. If not you will probably be making a lower than average salary. Then you are the one protesting 15 dollars an hour min wage or angry you are left behind and voted for trump. You have to go where your skills are in demand. If you want to live in a niche city you have to develop skill sets that match available jobs there

Last edited by Burghboy1; 03-12-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh