Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Which market are you claiming to be oversaturated? Parking, residential, hotel, retail?
Pittsburgh region's hotels struggle to fill rooms amid saturated market | TribLIVE

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/...rcent-november
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
The problem with these articles is they are for the metro as a whole. Indeed, one of the articles even notes the problem is worst in Washington County - where the hotel crash is due to the fracking industry cratering. Though the same article does note that hotel rates are falling Downtown due to competition, it doesn't mention the vacancy issue being particularly bad. Regardless, the new brand going in is sort of a "discount" boutique hotel brand, which means it is probably cost competitive.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
The hotels have access to google as well to read these articles. I would assume that they have spent much more thought, time, and money researching whether or not they feel they can make money. They are not being lured here with subsidies so I would assume they would be making the smartest business decisions for them regardless as to whether or not you personally think that downtown hotels are not doing well or that downtown needs more parking.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
The hotels have access to google as well to read these articles. I would assume that they have spent much more thought, time, and money researching whether or not they feel they can make money. They are not being lured here with subsidies so I would assume they would be making the smartest business decisions for them regardless as to whether or not you personally think that downtown hotels are not doing well or that downtown needs more parking.

Businesses make bad business decisions all the time. Hotels close all the time. Companies go out of business all the time. Business decisions are based on assumptions. You know what they say when you assume.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The problem with these articles is they are for the metro as a whole. Indeed, one of the articles even notes the problem is worst in Washington County - where the hotel crash is due to the fracking industry cratering. Though the same article does note that hotel rates are falling Downtown due to competition, it doesn't mention the vacancy issue being particularly bad. Regardless, the new brand going in is sort of a "discount" boutique hotel brand, which means it is probably cost competitive.

I have heard the Embassy Suites is not doing well. Only time will tell if more rooms than can be supported financially are being built.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Businesses make bad business decisions all the time. Hotels close all the time. Companies go out of business all the time. Business decisions are based on assumptions. You know what they say when you assume.
I suppose you are an economic advisor consulting major hotel chains on local and national trends in hotel room supply and demand? I guess I shouldn't assume you are not, as you purport to know more than the companies opening new hotels.

The parking comment, though, makes me think you really are just enjoying the reaction of others and may not actually believe what you say.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I suppose you are an economic advisor consulting major hotel chains on local and national trends in hotel room supply and demand? I guess I shouldn't assume you are not, as you purport to know more than the companies opening new hotels.

The parking comment, though, makes me think you really are just enjoying the reaction of others and may not actually believe what you say.
THEY want parking, THEY don't need hotels. Verdict is still out on what's actually best for the city, though. Likely just another batch of non-city resident noise to filter out, as usual.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
THEY want parking, THEY don't need hotels. Verdict is still out on what's actually best for the city, though. Likely just another batch of non-city resident noise to filter out, as usual.
I wouldn't go that far. There are definitely areas of the city that could stand to add parking - namely, garages in Lawrenceville, South Side west of 21st St, and potentially garage parking in the strip as more is built.

As far as hotel saturation, I actually do wonder how many more rooms downtown itself needs, though it sounds like this particular project is somewhat flexible in terms of what it will offer. The city likely needs to continue to add more rooms in close proximity to the convention center if they want to host major conventions, though.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Actually, it's they "need" parking. All of the vehicles you see being driven around do need a place to park.

The hotels are TBD.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post

Companies make mistakes and fail all the time. Companies pursue projects and then abandon them all the time. At times it is very obvious to people on the outside looking in. The whole subprime mortgage mess was the result of a bunch of very smart people making a basic mistake anyone would learn in the first day of an investment course and then a bunch of other smart people just assumed they knew what they were doing. The number of hotel rooms in Pittsburgh has grown dramatically. Would you like to post some numbers of hotel occupancy?

As far as parking goes, Pittsburgh parking rates speak for themselves. The rates here are out of line compared to similar cities. That suggests demand exceeds supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh