Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
more like the market demands parking spots...rich lawyers and engineers don't take public transportation as much as those in this sub likes to think.
My issue isn't the parking, it's the surface parking.

Buncher has released its master plan for the site. I don't have an issue with the parking for the apartments - the garages are all hidden inside of the buildings. But the office side of their development looks like a suburban office park, despite being right next to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 12:02 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My issue isn't the parking, it's the surface parking.

Buncher has released its master plan for the site. I don't have an issue with the parking for the apartments - the garages are all hidden inside of the buildings. But the office side of their development looks like a suburban office park, despite being right next to downtown.
it really isn't different. the market supports a surface parking lot and they own the land so they can do what they want. it may be disappointing to the urban fabric though but they probably know this when planning. i don't think the issue is them not knowing urban development, it is them putting their own wants and what the city allows in front of what would look best to the urbanites.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
it really isn't different. the market supports a surface parking lot and they own the land so they can do what they want. it may be disappointing to the urban fabric though but they probably know this when planning. i don't think the issue is them not knowing urban development, it is them putting their own wants and what the city allows in front of what would look best to the urbanites.
Oxford has managed to build three (soon to be four) office buildings further away from Downtown without a significant amount of surface parking. If the market can bear Oxford doing it, it could bear Buncher doing it as well, although maybe Buncher is not as well capitalized.

Regardless, I'm not arguing the plan should be blocked for this reason - I'm as anti-NIMBY as you can be. In addition, at least parking lots are cheap to tear up later should circumstances change (which I think will in a decade or so with self-driving cars). But it's still disappointing.

Edit: Bakery Square is another example - tiny amount of surface parking around the retail, but for the most part parking is hidden in the garages. The same is rapidly becoming true for South Side Works.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:38 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
more like the market demands parking spots...rich lawyers and engineers don't take public transportation as much as those in this sub likes to think.
You'd be surprised at who rides the P1.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Now I'm wondering if I ever see you on there.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:53 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Quote:
Feel free to open flip me off as you zoom by Polish Hill at 70 miles per hour!

Old 04-19-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Feel free to open flip me off as you zoom by Polish Hill at 70 miles per hour!
Yeah, I feel sorry for the dudes who are waiting at Herron Station to get picked up during peak traffic time, because the bus often doesn't stop. You'd think since it's usually just 1-2 people they could swing it, but usually not.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
$1,500/month for a micro-studio at Baumhaus is actually cheaper than I was expecting given how tight the rental market is in the East End.

I'm thrilled about the Trader Joe's expansion. Not sure why Trader Joe's and Whole Foods both built such tiny stores in such a densely-populated and affluent part of town.

Anyone know what's going on at the Iron City site? It's such an ideal location for it to be continuing to rot.

Also, it looks like the restoration of the high-rise across from the former Altar Bar into luxury apartments is progressing nicely.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Anyone know what's going on at the Iron City site? It's such an ideal location for it to be continuing to rot.
Continuing to rot. I think someone tried to buy out Collier the other year, but nothing came of it.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
I take the P1 a few times a week myself, I'm sure we've all shared buses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh