Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:45 PM

55 posts, read 58,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post
Did you even visit Robinson before you moved? Did you ask anyone where the trains where in Robinson when you visited? Why are you driving all the way to the South Side from Robinson just to go to the gym? There's a lot about your post that is just...bizarre. You can't expect Robinson to be like downtown Boston. Perhaps if you did more research before your move here you would have settled on a different location, like Mt. Lebanon, which has access to the T. If you moved here expecting to live in an east coast city but at a fraction of the cost, then you will be disappointed.
I knew the Robinson area before I moved here. The goal was to live here temporarily (since we were familiar with it) until we found a neighborhood in the city that we like. I knew well in advance that there are no trains in Robinson.

There are no climbing gyms in Robinson, thus the drive to South Side. Where else would you suggest I drive to?

I moved here to try and get closer to family, and enjoy the lower cost of living while living in a place that has received a lot of positive press for being livable. It seems, though, that if I want to come close to replicating the "niceness" and convenience that I had in the northeast, I'd be failing and paying nearly as much as I paid there.

I definitely like Mt. Lebanon, but I'd really like a Mt. Lebanon "feel" closer to everything. Why are the nice neighborhoods so far from the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 02:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
The problem is you live in far-flung, unwalkable suburban Hell. Move to a cohesive, walkable, urban neighborhood or town, and become part of the community. Simply put, you need to move somewhere that puts you in the midst of a lively community. You won't worry about driving to get somewhere, because you will be somewhere. That is the problem with modern suburbia. There's no place.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:37 PM

55 posts, read 58,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
The problem is you live in far-flung, unwalkable suburban Hell. Move to a cohesive, walkable, urban neighborhood or town, and become part of the community. Simply put, you need to move somewhere that puts you in the midst of a lively community. You won't worry about driving to get somewhere, because you will be somewhere. That is the problem with modern suburbia. There's no place.
I agree about suburbia. What a nightmare it is! I was hoping to live here temporarily until I found a neighborhood in the city I like. I haven't really found one I like, though. Working on it.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:46 PM

146 posts, read 133,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
What's so bizarre about it? I will agree, Boston, you can take a train anywhere. I can totally see why someone would have a hard time coming from there to here, where the T service is limited compared to Boston.
I just find it bizarre that someone would move to Robinson, then be upset that there aren't any trains. If that was such a big concern, seems like he should have found that info out ahead of time and picked a better location, such as Mt. Lebanon or somewhere else in the South Hills. Also, it seems odd to me to travel 20+ miles just for a gym. Maybe this is the best gym in the state, I dunno. Just seems extreme considering there are a ton of gyms in the Robinson area.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoevge View Post
I agree about suburbia. What a nightmare it is! I was hoping to live here temporarily until I found a neighborhood in the city I like. I haven't really found one I like, though. Working on it.
There are so MANY unique and interesting neighborhoods, small towns, and streetcar suburbs in western PA. I'm not sure what your criteria is, but definitely think outside of the neighborhoods that are frequently mentioned here. Places like Troy Hill, Carnegie, Mt. Washington, Millvale, etc. There are a lot of places that fly under the radar, that are good, affordable, and offer a sense of community.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:10 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
There are several garages in South Side Works which don't charge an an unreasonable amount and are about a 10 minute walk to Ascend. In Boston, I am sure a 10 minute walk after a train ride wouldn't even cause you to blink. Why would the same walk in Pittsburgh be any different?

I agree that Acsend is awesome, by the way. There isn't really anything else like it in the area.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:18 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times
Troy Hill

Old 06-03-2017, 07:41 PM

189 posts, read 166,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoevge View Post
I definitely like Mt. Lebanon, but I'd really like a Mt. Lebanon "feel" closer to everything. Why are the nice neighborhoods so far from the city?
Hmmmm, maybe something to do with those rivers and hills :-)

Seriously, Lebo is 6 miles from downtown. It has just about everything we need, but we also frequent other areas of the city. We've shopped at the East End Coop since we moved here, even though we now have a Fresh Market and Whole Foods.

But if we didn't live here we'd probably be in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. Highland Park is also nice, but there's not much commerce.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:44 PM

255 posts, read 284,845 times
I just stay home and surf the net

Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
OP, I lived in Massachusetts for 12 years; 8 of those were in Cambridge/Somerville, mostly living in Inman Square.

My husband and I bought a house on the North side because it was the closest thing we could find to Cambridge in the city of Pittsburgh. We looked in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Point Breeze and Regent Square first, but the North side was considerably cheaper in 2013 (it still is, but it's starting to catch up), and it's also much more walkable. Beyond that, though, parts of Deutschtown, Central North Side / Mexican War Streets, and Allegheny West honestly feel like we're back in Boston, with small brick houses and a grid that was built out in the late 1800s.

That being said, it sounds like you just need to get used to taking the bus in Pittsburgh. From Robinson township, can't you park somewhere and then take a bus into the city? Or park downtown and then take a bus to wherever you're going? I live in Spring Hill and work in Oakland, and I take the bus everywhere and it's fine. We do have a car, but only use it once or twice a week at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh