Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:19 AM

189 posts, read 166,197 times

Advertisements

And that reminds me of Arsenal Cider in Lawrenceville and Apis Meadery in Carnegie. Love Arsenal although I prefer the drier ciders. Have never been to Apis but tried their mead at a food truck roundup at Voodoo. Was surprised at the taste, not what I expected. I imagined it to be thick and sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 10:23 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Breweries are becoming like McDonalds, they are everywhere.
And the quality of the beer reflects the oversaturation.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
This would have been the old Fire house on Arch?
Yes, exactly. It's a neat old building but needed too much work for the War Streets Brewery, especially since they were only renting it and didn't own it. Hopefully something good will still happen with it, as it's a great location. Meanwhile the new version of Benjamins will have new seating in the back patio, which should be nice.

As long as we're expanding to other forms of alcohol it's worth noting that the new mead place in Spring Garden is owned by the same family that owns Wigle, and will be walking distance from the Barrelhouse. Another place we love is Maggie's Farm.

I guess people can compare this to McDonald's if they want, but I think it's pretty great to see so many local, independent businesses developing a quality product and being successful. There are also some great collaborations going on, like Roundabout bringing a keg to Pear and the Pickle for their Thursday burger nights.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:31 PM

281 posts, read 340,755 times
Not exactly local, but I recently had a pretty tasty beer, maybe a lager, at Ellicottville Brewing in Bemus Point NY. Also had an outstanding ale of some sort at Selin's Grove Brewing in Selinsgrove PA. The latter was a few years ago.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:44 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Yes, exactly. It's a neat old building but needed too much work for the War Streets Brewery, especially since they were only renting it and didn't own it. Hopefully something good will still happen with it, as it's a great location. Meanwhile the new version of Benjamins will have new seating in the back patio, which should be nice.

As long as we're expanding to other forms of alcohol it's worth noting that the new mead place in Spring Garden is owned by the same family that owns Wigle, and will be walking distance from the Barrelhouse. Another place we love is Maggie's Farm.

I guess people can compare this to McDonald's if they want, but I think it's pretty great to see so many local, independent businesses developing a quality product and being successful. There are also some great collaborations going on, like Roundabout bringing a keg to Pear and the Pickle for their Thursday burger nights.
I'm really ticked I didn't donate to the initial funding drive for the war streets brewery - $500 got you lifetime free beer. It was limited to the first handful of finders & was 'sold out' before I hit send

Old 08-26-2017, 03:55 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'm really ticked I didn't donate to the initial funding drive for the war streets brewery - $500 got you lifetime free beer. It was limited to the first handful of finders & was 'sold out' before I hit send
We splurged and got one of these -- they have been really good about inviting us to their various events, making sure we have free tickets to their parties at the Mattress Factory, etc -- that's how I have the updates on what's happening with Benjamin's. We're happy with how War Streets has handled things despite the delay in getting the business up and running, and since we live close by I suspect we'll have gotten our money's worth out of it within six months of the official kick-off in the Fall.

Now if only Spring Hill Brewing would open, we really would have our ideal aging hipster lifestyle all set up here. They have been making good progress with getting the old building renovated and the urban farming operation set up, but there's no word yet on an opening date.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
We splurged and got one of these -- they have been really good about inviting us to their various events, making sure we have free tickets to their parties at the Mattress Factory, etc -- that's how I have the updates on what's happening with Benjamin's. We're happy with how War Streets has handled things despite the delay in getting the business up and running, and since we live close by I suspect we'll have gotten our money's worth out of it within six months of the official kick-off in the Fall.

Now if only Spring Hill Brewing would open, we really would have our ideal aging hipster lifestyle all set up here. They have been making good progress with getting the old building renovated and the urban farming operation set up, but there's no word yet on an opening date.
it is worth mentioning that 11th hour was 250k over budget on their 650k renovation. they also chose in l'ville after a lease falling through near their home in wexford.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:25 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Hofbrauhaus too as they brew on site.
Also I don't think Allegheny City Brewing was mentioned
Their Habanero beer is aweeeeesomeeeeeee.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 AM

110 posts, read 95,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Soon Hitchhiker is going to open a place in Sharpsburg. Looking forward to that. Have no been to the other two you listed, but they are pretty far away for me, but I will keep them in mind.

Well, Fat Heads is an offshoot I guess. Sort of like Southern Tier, which I am not a fan of with all those hops.

https://twitter.com/Hitchhikerbrew
Southern Tier is an offshoot, but they do brew beer on-site in Pittsburgh!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
All Saints Brewing Company in Greensburg

For those who live far, be sure to check their website or Facebook page for their days/hours and what they have lined up in terms of food trucks and entertainment before driving out.

All Saints Brewing Company

https://www.facebook.com/allsaintsbrewing/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh