Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Count me among those who believe that we should have a living wage in this country. Unfortunately, we have people who currently earn a living wage and feel threatened by the prospect of people they deem beneath them also earning a living wage. You can see it right here in this thread. America has a wage problem and housing cost. Pittsburgh is easily one of the most affordable cities in the country, yet this thread seems to single it out as unaffordable.
Well, of course I feel threatened by the Progressive agenda.

If minimum wage is increased to my current wage, there will be inflation of prices. Businesses will not conjure out of thin air the extra money to pay for their increased labor costs. This is simple economics. Those costs will be passed on to consumers. Folks like me. It's basic economics and basic math that an increase in the minimum wage will decrease my quality of life by making goods and services more expensive for me, and for people like me.

I hate the Progressive push for "affordable housing". Our local Politburo wanted to jack up the real estate transfer tax even higher, putting another barrier in the way of people like me on the path to home ownership. Meanwhile, working class people like me would get bent over the barrel so that our Enlightened leadership could give away public housing to other people. Public housing that costs much more, per unit, than my house cost. I live in an unsexy, untrendy, poor/working-class neighborhood. I bought a home 3.5 years ago for $45,700. Move-in ready. No work needed.

For university - I went to community college, CLEP tested everything I could, went to a second-tier state university (an SSHE school), and graduated with a BA in 2.5 years. Joined the National Guard in the middle of two unpopular wars, in part motivated by college money. I'm 30 and I've been student debt-free for several years. I have no sympathy for people who took out six figures of student debt and have their Progressive allies look to folks like me to bail them out with my tax dollars.

I don't feel threatened - it is more of a hatred. I live modestly. I live within my means. I make financially-wise decisions. I support myself and am content with my current quality of life. After all of my bills are paid (on-time, in-full, and my credit card is paid off completely at the end of every billing cycle), I have a few hundred dollars left over. Frankly, I'll be damned if I'm willing to share any of that little bit left over with people that made decisions that weren't as wise as mine. I can take care of myself, and I'm not interested in having my quality of life penalized because other people aren't wise enough to take care of their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
The professions used to calculate the income in the article are a couple comprised of an in-home appliance repairman and a manicurist.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:14 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Also, allow me to say that this entire thread is dripping with entitlement. My parents were working poor, as were there for us. None of them owned a home. I believe all people should be able to raise their children in a safe neighborhood, but not everyone is entitled to home ownership, which is exactly what this thread is about. You want to be part of the landed gentry? Do better.
this argument seems to go against raising the minimum wage, though? people can just get better jobs for higher wages.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
For what it's worth, I see the debate as being much more about the obligation of corporations to share profits with workers... .Liberals like me love CostCo, for example, in part because they have sensible rules about decent wages for their workers, hiring practices that encourage promotion from within....
Just want to remark that that there ARE non-libs as well that feel the same way!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:27 AM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I don't feel threatened - it is more of a hatred.[/i]
CRAB MEET BUCKET!

If you seriously find yourself making minimum wage with a BA, the blame lies with YOU. Anything else is just loser talk. Learn to negotiate, get a new job or something. If unskilled labor makes 15, skilled labor will have cost more than that. Otherwise there would be no skilled labor, it would be pointless to achieve, and businesses that require skilled labor would not be able to operate at all. Its just basic economics.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
CRAB MEET BUCKET!

If you seriously find yourself making minimum wage with a BA, the blame lies with YOU. Anything else is just loser talk. Learn to negotiate, get a new job or something. If unskilled labor makes 15, skilled labor will have cost more than that. Otherwise there would be no skilled labor, it would be pointless to achieve, and businesses that require skilled labor would not be able to operate at all. Its just basic economics.
I make more than double the current minimum wage.
I have a pension and excellent health insurance.
I also don't work in the private sector.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:44 AM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I make more than double the current minimum wage.
I have a pension and excellent health insurance.
I also don't work in the private sector.
And I make six figures. So what? That doesn't change this ridiculous notion you seem to have that we need to keep others poorer to make ourselves better. Does 'Make America Great Again' really mean Make America ****ty So I Can Look Good By Comparison?

Oh and the 'live within your means' narrative doesn't mean jack when you pair it with trying to keep people from having any means to begin with.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
And I make six figures. So what? That doesn't change this ridiculous notion you seem to have that we need to keep others poorer to make ourselves better. Does 'Make America Great Again' really mean Make America ****ty So I Can Look Good By Comparison?

Oh and the 'live within your means' narrative doesn't mean jack when you pair it with trying to keep people from having any means to begin with.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Faer again.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Never said that.
Also not trying to "make myself look better". If anything - the opposite. I live in a poor neighborhood. I went to community college and then poor people state university. I live within my means. And I'm tired of having wealthier, enlightened folks like yourself tell me that I'm bad because I'm not interested in subsidizing people less responsible than me to have nicer things than I do. If I don't pay for it for myself - why should I pay for it for others?

I've been very open about my financial situation, so that people can better understand why I'm making the arguments that I am. If you're cool with me having to pay more, out of my meager salary, to better support those who are less well-off than me - than pray tell how many thousands per year you donate to charity, out of your six-figure salary? Do you put your money where your mouth is??

Old 09-07-2017, 07:56 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Minimum wage was never meant to provide a middle class income capable of buying a middle class house. I don't know where people got this idea. It is the lowest skilled and least responsible and stable of jobs available. It will therefore provide lower than middle class wages. I don't know why that is a difficult concept.

The idea is that minimum wage is where unskilled workers begin, then they make more through raises and promotions which can happen rather quickly.

Last edited by _Buster; 09-07-2017 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh