Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 11:06 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Mayor Peduto stepped in to stop Whole Foods from coming to East Liberty because it would displace lower-income residents of color from East Liberty because those residents couldn't find suitable and affordably-priced housing in their same neighborhood.

Who's stepping in to stop techie transplants from coming into Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, Bloomfield, and other areas and displacing lower-income white residents who also are having difficulty finding suitable and affordably-priced housing in their neighborhoods? (I'll be expecting an answer).

Again, I reiterate:

Rich whites displacing poor blacks = Bad. Can't Let it Happen.
Rich whites displacing poor whites = Get Over It. Move Elsewhere.

This same double-standard of rich and/or postgraduate-educated elitist whites looking down upon poor and/or less educated whites explains why we have Donald Trump in office now and why the Democratic Party is a mess, but I digress.

Poor whites with options, even if those options don't satisfy their preferences of walking to work, is not the same as elderly blacks who have doctors and other community groups in their neighborhood that cannot be easily replicated in new neighborhoods.

You moving to Beechview or Brookline would impact your life how? You have to take the T to work, or perhaps a bus WHILE SAVING MONEY. An elderly black woman moving to Beechview or Brookline will lose access to walkable shopping, doctors, and perhaps even their church.

They are not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
238 cities and regions put in bids, including locations in Canada and Mexico. Unless this was all a PR farce and they had a planned site all along, they're going to have to do multiple rounds.

Most betting markets put Pittsburgh in the top 10, but not the top 5, so we should at least make it to the semifinals.
I sort of figured 200 would be thrown in the bin right away. Denver for example or western cities. I think only the east would make sense for them from a business standpoint for launching a location to service the massive population in the east. Denver is in no man's land and any city in the midwest.

Oh well maybe by spring I guess? Year's end just for the first cut. Geez.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
To be fair, when SCR moved to Polish Hill, no one considered it one of Pittsburgh's "most prized neighborhoods."
Yeah, but Jay, like Plink or somebody mentioned in the late nineties a lot of college graduates had to leave to find work, it was not such a great economy then, we went into Act 47 in the next decade, and then finally slowly started clawing our way out, as you know. About a decade ago things were getting safe, walkable, hip-but-still-cheap. Have you ever known that transitional phase to last in any recovering city you were living in? Polish Hill started turning around a decade ago. It was almost inevitable.

OTOH at least people can graduate Pitt now and not immediately have to move to Philly or DC while building enough skills to be hired in Pittsburgh as a midcareer employee. They always loved those, it was the new grads that had to either relocate or sling drinks.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:13 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I sort of figured 200 would be thrown in the bin right away. Denver for example or western cities. I think only the east would make sense for them from a business standpoint for launching a location to service the massive population in the east. Denver is in no man's land and any city in the midwest.

Oh well maybe by spring I guess? Year's end just for the first cut. Geez.

Everyone keeps saying its going to be ATL, it's been a while since I have been there, but isn't the traffic crippling? To say you need to get some of your people out of Seattle, an area that can have horrible traffic, and pick a location that has just as bad traffic seems strange.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM

199 posts, read 141,435 times
On the local news they said it might be coming to Harrisburg.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:17 AM

716 posts, read 766,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Who's stepping in to stop techie transplants from coming into Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, Bloomfield, and other areas and displacing lower-income white residents who also are having difficulty finding suitable and affordably-priced housing in their neighborhoods? (I'll be expecting an answer).
Nobody is doing that because they are not being displaced in large swaths like when the lower hill was demolished.

I rented when I lived in NYC but was able to purchase a home when I moved to Pittsburgh, so I understand the plight of being priced out of a neighborhood. I just always assumed "OK, I would really like to live in the East Village, but I can't afford it so I'll move to Brooklyn." Then everyone moved to Brooklyn and Brooklyn got expensive so I moved to Jersey. Then Jersey got overpriced so I moved here. But I thought of it as supply/demand and never equated it on a moral scale with something like demolishing an entire community.

EDIT: Maybe it is time for the city to start talking about rent control/rent stabilization programs similar to those in NYC. Those were the people I was always super jealous of when I lived there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_control_in_New_York

Old 10-25-2017, 11:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Nobody is doing that because they are not being displaced in large swaths like when the lower hill was demolished.

I rented when I lived in NYC but was able to purchase a home when I moved to Pittsburgh, so I understand the plight of being priced out of a neighborhood. I just always assumed "OK, I would really like to live in the East Village, but I can't afford it so I'll move to Brooklyn." Then everyone moved to Brooklyn and Brooklyn got expensive so I moved to Jersey. Then Jersey got overpriced so I moved here. But I thought of it as supply/demand and never equated it on a moral scale with something like demolishing an entire community.

EDIT: Maybe it is time for the city to start talking about rent control/rent stabilization programs similar to those in NYC. Those were the people I was always super jealous of when I lived there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_control_in_New_York
Rent control/stabilization is the only thing that has saved New York. Even people who don’t live in rent stabilized apartments 10 to see modest rent increases. New York is it an affordable to live in. It’s on affordable to move to. None of my New York friends are paying close to “market rate” for their neighborhoods, because most of them have been there 10+ years.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:53 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jate88 View Post
On the local news they said it might be coming to Harrisburg.
I'd say Harrisburg has little to no chance. Only if you look at its CSA do you get 1+ million. It's "international" airport is a joke. At best it has branches of major universities, probably relying on Penn State as its major university which is miles away at State College. Hershey is probably its best source of technical talent.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:35 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,838 times
There were actually a few mechanic/technician jobs that came here with the Uber ATC and other robotics companies, if I didn't mention that already.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:37 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
There were actually a few mechanic/technician jobs that came here with the Uber ATC and other robotics companies, if I didn't mention that already.
The drivers make 40k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh