Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 11:27 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My point is that Walmart often negotiates to not pay property taxes for a certain number of years and other incentives. Yet they are reviled for it, while Amazon doing the same thing is considered beneficial.
OT, but I think the most common answer to the question "why do you hate Walmart?" is it has the highest rate of employees needing social services/welfare of any large national employer. I don't think subsidies for building stores often come into the picture, at least on a national scale. The issue is more of the strain their employment practices cause.

Last edited by WhoIsStanwix?; 05-19-2018 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Capitalization...ugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 11:31 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
My point is that Walmart often negotiates to not pay property taxes for a certain number of years and other incentives. Yet they are reviled for it, while Amazon doing the same thing is considered beneficial.
Why not ask this to yourself and try thinking it through? What do you think are the possible differences between a large retail outlet and a large corporate center? What do you think are the factors that might be considered for why a city or community might welcome one or the other?

Old 05-20-2018, 07:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why not ask this to yourself and try thinking it through? What do you think are the possible differences between a large retail outlet and a large corporate center? What do you think are the factors that might be considered for why a city or community might welcome one or the other?
In both cases, they want the business. You tell me why Amazon, which has about the same rep as Walmart re: how it treats employees, is "different".

Old 05-20-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
In both cases, they want the business. You tell me why Amazon, which has about the same rep as Walmart re: how it treats employees, is "different".
I think it’s better if you complete the exercise. Are you having difficulties figuring out the differences between opening up an outlet of a large retail chain and the opening of a large corporate operation for a tech company?

Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Um, I wouldn't know where to begin with this. We are talking about high paying jobs and real consumers with Amazon. People that can afford $500K homes. You can't compare some Walmart opening to Amazon. Walmart isn't getting any breaks in a city other than lower rent from a landlord because of them being an anchor store. The city isn't going to care if they come or go much. Someone will take their place. Amazon? Um, no one is filling those shoes.

As I was watching the local news there was a story on E. Musk's hyper loop to Chicago. That tube can haul cargo. Hmmm, I see a nice situation here many years from now. Do people know there is a feasibility study going on? I am not saying we will see this hyper loop, but keeping an open mind on its possibilities in making Pittsburgh a bigger player if connected to Chicago. I could use some better food options.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Um, I wouldn't know where to begin with this. We are talking about high paying jobs and real consumers with Amazon. People that can afford $500K homes. You can't compare some Walmart opening to Amazon. Walmart isn't getting any breaks in a city other than lower rent from a landlord because of them being an anchor store. The city isn't going to care if they come or go much. Someone will take their place. Amazon? Um, no one is filling those shoes.

As I was watching the local news there was a story on E. Musk's hyper loop to Chicago. That tube can haul cargo. Hmmm, I see a nice situation here many years from now. Do people know there is a feasibility study going on? I am not saying we will see this hyper loop, but keeping an open mind on its possibilities in making Pittsburgh a bigger player if connected to Chicago. I could use some better food options.
The city to the east of mine waived Walmart's property taxes for 25 years! I'd say the city cared very much that Walmart come. And truth be told, unlike the "urban legendry", WM did bring other retailers to a town that had no downtown left when it came to shopping.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
The city to the east of mine waived Walmart's property taxes for 25 years! I'd say the city cared very much that Walmart come. And truth be told, unlike the "urban legendry", WM did bring other retailers to a town that had no downtown left when it came to shopping.
I realize you are stuck out in CO, but there is no way Pittsburgh is giving anything to Walmart. Why do you compare some little rinky-dink city to a powerhouse like Pittsburgh? There are "cities" and then there are players. That is like comparing "the city of Franklin, PA" to Pittsburgh. Please.

I see no point in your posts. All I see is you venting about some situation in CO on a Pittsburgh forum. Giving away things to an Amazon is a completely different matter. Did you see I mentioned the hyper loop? Imagine if Amazon had that going on at their 2nd headquarters? Pittsburgh is in the running on that as well. We have been voted "most livable" for a very long time and most people would agree, Pittsburgh is great, so long as you are hard working and making money. (city life requires it) If you are living off taxpayers and receiving a lot of help as a lifestyle, then I suspect you are going to complain no matter what. That kind of life was never supposed to be "forever", unless of course you are helpless.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:26 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
^^^^ rep!

Old 05-20-2018, 09:57 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
While I personally would welcome both Amazon & a Walmart into the city, you’re comparing apples to oranges in your statements. An Amazon corporate headquarters is comparable to Walmart’s presence in Bentonville, AR only, (in both incentives & economic gain) - some random store of theirs in CO is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzerburgh21 View Post
Amazon won’t come to Pittsburgh, because of the politics and community groups. It will have nothing to do with anything else.

Imagine Amazon saying they choose a place in the city limits to place their HQ. Then look at the community groups suing and protesting in east liberty. Folks that is one neighborhood and a few hundred techies moving in.

Good lord if Amazon chose the city there would be so many lawsuits and fights it would never get built. Bezos would tire of the protests and sitting in commonwealth court. By that token it would be stupid of him to even consider the city. Every community group and their brother would be suing for a piece of the pie
There's going to be a degree of local backlash to Amazon in virtually any of the candidate cities. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the backlash in Boston of all the places would probably be greatest rather than in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh