Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,750 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I just wanted some opinions on different areas of Pittsburgh since I am looking to relocate there for a job in about 10 weeks. I have read different posts on this site but wanted to post my individual wants/needs and see what recommendations people might have. I have narrowed down my search to Shadyside (right off Walnut Street) and Southside (flats or slopes).

I am going to be working downtown at PPG place so I am planning on taking the bus to work and am looking for off street parking or a garage for my car. I have a small dog and would also like to have a nice area to walk him and let him outside. I have talked to many people about the two areas and everyone recommends both but no one have lived in either place. I am a young professional and have heard both places are the place for me. I am looking for a modern apartment and am looking to spend 800-1300 a month for rent. I was looking at Carson street commons and the flats at Southside works (the styles I like in an apartment).

Some people have said that it might not be the best place if you are looking to get a good night’s sleep and I didn’t know if anyone is currently living or has lived at either one of these places. I want to be close to bars and all the things to do in both Shadyside and Southside. If anyone can comment or help me out with upsides or downsides of either Shadyside or Southside or maybe even comment on another area I might like to look at that would be walking distance to a good nightlife I would greatly appreciate it. Also just as more backround on me I am 22 and just graduating from college. Also any other information that might help someone make a reccomendation feel free to ask,

Last edited by bgrab; 03-16-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 12:46 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
If you want a modern apartment near Downtown and nightlife, the South Side is a better bet than Shadyside, since Shadyside has fewer truly modern apartments. There are also some loft spaces in the Strip and Downtown itself you might want to check out.

As far as noise, I think that is more an issue if you live in the more historic parts of the South Side, as opposed to the modern developments.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM

30 posts, read 143,926 times
I live in Shadyside, and I love it here, but it doesn't sound like what you're looking for. If by "modern" you mean sleek new construction, then this isn't the right neighborhood (downtown or the strip might be). There are apartment complexes here, but most of the housing stock is 3-story, single-family houses that have been converted to apartments. I live in a tiny, attic apartment and love the charm of it, but it doesn't sound like your style.

Other things about Shadyside you might like. The ammenities are great. Everything is walkable - coffee, restaurants (casual and upscale), bars, Whole Foods, gym, yoga studios, etc. You mentioned that you'd like to be close to Walnut, but Ellsworth Ave. is also a nice business district. It's fairly easy to situate yourself between the two (they run parallel to one another). The population is quite young. Rent tends to be high enough to price undergraduates out, but young professionals and grad students are common.

You might find it hard to find a place with a private backyard in your price range here, but it might be possible. Otherwise, your price range should get you what you're looking for. My apt is $725/month plus utilities ($150/month average). My dog is welcome here and I have one off-street parking place, but I don't have any private outdoor space. It is a great neighborhood to walk dogs in though and my dog seems quite happy

Old 03-17-2008, 04:08 PM

238 posts, read 669,361 times
Default I have lived in both neighborhoods

I lived in Shadyside for a year out of college and have since lived on the SSide for the past 7 years. I prefer the SSide more (obviously since I have stayed here for 7 years). If you are looking for access to great bars, people your age and city living the SSide is the place to be. It does get congested on the weekends and big party nights (St. Patti's, Holidays, etc), but during the week things slow down.

If you are looking to be in the action look for a place on the Flats, if you are looking for something a little more quiet try the Slopes. There are lots of interesting recently renovated places up on the Slopes and it is cheaper. You could probably get a whole house for what you would pay in rent at the Southside Works.

Access to downtown is much easier from the SSide than Shadyside.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Although jeffm is correct that access to Downtown is quite easy from the South Side, I just wanted to note it is not too difficult from Shadyside either, particularly if you take a bus that uses the Busway (it is maybe ten minutes from Negley Station in Shadyside to Penn Station Downtown).

Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,477 times
As someone who has recently spent alot of time myself in the South Hills areas in preparation for my OWN move to the Burgh in upcoming weeks, I can say your price range opens up alot of areas for ya'... for that amount of money, you could actually BUY a very nice house on the South Side, just about anywhere. . . . so, that's something to think about, in your relocation plans... housing in Pittsburgh is cheap compared to national averages, and you could likely get a very nice loft in any of the areas you mentioned, within your range.

We are buying in Dormont, a near suburb on the South Side, and there's a train stop about 5 blocks from the house as well as bus stops, only 1 block away. So just about anywhere on the south side (I hear) should have pretty easy commutes into downtown. In Dormont, I can tell you there are an abundance of park areas for the pooch, as well as low crime and GREAT housing stock availability...

Do yourself the favor and use an agent if possible, because they know the area well and can drive you to the perfect places for your individual needs, so you can be happy with whatever you settle on...

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 AM

158 posts, read 527,236 times
These are all accurate posts. I'll second the notion that getting downtown on a bus from Shadyside is not difficult. I actually like the bus situation in Shadyside.

I know some professional (mature) yet creative, artistic types who do not like Shadyside because they perceive it as shallow and yuppie. I don't know. I like it. I can't comment on sside.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smily Gladshanks View Post
I know some professional (mature) yet creative, artistic types who do not like Shadyside because they perceive it as shallow and yuppie.
I suspect part of that impression is caused by Shadyside having a relatively large number of upscale national retailers, particularly along Walnut. And, of course, it is generally the most expensive neighborhood in the East End as far as housing is concerned, and a bit less family-friendly than some other nearby neighborhoods due to the relative lack of yard/garage space and not being right next to one of the big parks (Schenley, Frick, or Highland).

But in my view, the great thing about the East End is that there is a variety of different neighborhoods suitable for a wide range of different tastes and budgets. And obviously, Shadyside real estate would not be so pricey if it did not appeal to a lot of people, even if it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 PM

5 posts, read 16,717 times
Shadyside offers a lot of unique shopping and restaurants. There is an apple store in Shadyside and other unique shops. Although the south side also has shopping and restaurants within walking distance I think Shadyside offers a larger selection of both. I think Southside attracts a younger crowd to their bars, mostly Pitt students which can be loud. There are bars in both areas but I think you could drive through the two areas and see the differences. Shadyside has a lot of green space and is close to Schenley Park which may benefit your dog. All of this is my opinion, I have no facts to support my thoughts, haha, good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 PM

158 posts, read 527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I suspect part of that impression is caused by Shadyside having a relatively large number of upscale national retailers, particularly along Walnut. And, of course, it is generally the most expensive neighborhood in the East End as far as housing is concerned, and a bit less family-friendly than some other nearby neighborhoods due to the relative lack of yard/garage space and not being right next to one of the big parks (Schenley, Frick, or Highland).

But in my view, the great thing about the East End is that there is a variety of different neighborhoods suitable for a wide range of different tastes and budgets. And obviously, Shadyside real estate would not be so pricey if it did not appeal to a lot of people, even if it doesn't appeal to everyone.
Well said. I do believe there is some charm in Shadyside. And as you say, there is a variety of neighborhoods. And living in Shadyside, you have quick and easy access to them. Bottom line: I find Shadyside convenient, safe, and aesthetically "nice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh