Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
The civic center was a travesty for the hill, but that was what, 50 years ago?
Civic Center? What is/was that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
We thought it was generally OK. It's not the first time he has covered a city that I know pretty well, and it struck me as typical. They always do a bunch of random shots to establish a sense of place...when it's a city you know, it's a little annoying because they are jumping all over the place; when it's a city you don't know you don't really notice, but you appreciate the glimpses of street views.

I don't think it was all that negative, and I appreciate that they tried to bring up some of the tensions between "old" and "new" in Pittsburgh. Sure, if they had asked me for recommendations I might have sent them to different neighborhoods, but in a way I'm almost glad they didn't go to "my" Pittsburgh (by which I really mean the Northside). The point that the new money is mostly circulating among the new people and not really helping the longtime residents of Pittsburgh is something we talk about on these boards all the time, so I'm surprised people on this thread aren't more sympathetic to it.

I'm also neutral about the decision to end with the demolition derby; I guess it makes sense to try to show a side of Pittsburgh that most people in the city will never see, but of course personally I would have been more interested in almost anything else, like watching him get stuck in the traffic around the Squirrel Hill tunnel on his way back to New York.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 AM

994 posts, read 901,302 times
I have not watched this episode yet, but I've been seen quite a few episodes of Boundain's shows and read several of his books, and I think Anthony's tv shows tend to be more of a reflection of him rather then the locations he visits. He wants to tell a story that reflects on his own, which is one of a drug addicted struggling chef who almost didn't make it in life. When we get these compare and contract stories that portray poor vs. rich, new vs. old, etc, he is sympathetic to one over the other.

When it comes to Pittsburgh, Bourdain has already said there isn't anything special about the food, which is why he hasn't done a show about the area until now. So if that's what he believes, it makes sense that this episode is less food focused.

The scenes with the demolition derby and wrestling are for, I'm guessing, the atmosphere. And he probably hasn't done that on an episode yet, so it's a easy thing to say yes too when you are thinking about viewers. I get the feeling that this episode is presented as the 'old school Pittsburgh' types vs. the 'new tech' types. That's a very easy story to tell. Using images like the demo derby and wrestling are easy mechanisms to convey the contrast, even if not an accurate portrayal of life in Pittsburgh for many. In reality, however, lifestyles are on a spectrum and aren't easy to breakdown into just a few categories.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:44 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I have not watched this episode yet, but I've been seen quite a few episodes of Boundain's shows and read several of his books, and I think Anthony's tv shows tend to be more of a reflection of him rather then the locations he visits. He wants to tell a story that reflects on his own, which is one of a drug addicted struggling chef who almost didn't make it in life. When we get these compare and contract stories that portray poor vs. rich, new vs. old, etc, he is sympathetic to one over the other.

When it comes to Pittsburgh, Bourdain has already said there isn't anything special about the food, which is why he hasn't done a show about the area until now. So if that's what he believes, it makes sense that this episode is less food focused.

The scenes with the demolition derby and wrestling are for, I'm guessing, the atmosphere. And he probably hasn't done that on an episode yet, so it's a easy thing to say yes too when you are thinking about viewers. I get the feeling that this episode is presented as the 'old school Pittsburgh' types vs. the 'new tech' types. That's a very easy story to tell. Using images like the demo derby and wrestling are easy mechanisms to convey the contrast, even if not an accurate portrayal of life in Pittsburgh for many. In reality, however, lifestyles are on a spectrum and aren't easy to breakdown into just a few categories.
Very little of the new Pittsburgh is shown, and it’s treated almost like an illusion. No one actually seems to believe in the new Pittsburgh. Far too much time is spent outside of the city in the attempt to showcase rustbelt grit and Appalacian hillbilly leanings.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:47 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
I've always found him overly opinionated and self impressed about stuff he knows nothing about, so him jumping in and commenting on "pencil neck geeks" and saying "bow to your new techie overlords" was more of him just being obnoxious for no reason. I wish people wouldn't do that, they're not the enemy and haven't done anything to merit that kind of treatment, but I guess some people never got past the grade-school mentality of bullying the nerds.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:11 AM

994 posts, read 901,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Very little of the new Pittsburgh is shown, and it’s treated almost like an illusion. No one actually seems to believe in the new Pittsburgh. Far too much time is spent outside of the city in the attempt to showcase rustbelt grit and Appalacian hillbilly leanings.
I see. The "rust belt grit" was going to be a central theme no matter what, I'm guessing.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
I liked the variety and esp like the inclusion of the wrestling. I thought that showed a side of Pittsburgh that not a lot of people (including myself) know about, however he left out any realistic take on those who are not blue collar. It was framed in a way that made it sound like outsiders flew in on drones, dragged old grandmas out of their houses, and are systematically destroying Pittsburgh and the ones on the show are the real Pittsburghers trying to salvage what they can from the tech overlords.

I guess I was just disappointed to with the casual rips on places like Brew Gentleman for serving $7 beers but then they spent 10 mins sitting in Superior Motors eating aged sun choke crisps. I understand that the residents of Braddock get a discount at Superior Motors and there are training programs, but what I don't believe is that anyone from Braddock or elsewhere thinks a discount on foie gras is really going to help those in the neighborhood who are struggling.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:32 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I liked the variety and esp like the inclusion of the wrestling. I thought that showed a side of Pittsburgh that not a lot of people (including myself) know about, however he left out any realistic take on those who are not blue collar. It was framed in a way that made it sound like outsiders flew in on drones, dragged old grandmas out of their houses, and are systematically destroying Pittsburgh and the ones on the show are the real Pittsburghers trying to salvage what they can from the tech overlords.

I guess I was just disappointed to with the casual rips on places like Brew Gentleman for serving $7 beers but then they spent 10 mins sitting in Superior Motors eating aged sun choke crisps. I understand that the residents of Braddock get a discount at Superior Motors and there are training programs, but what I don't believe is that anyone from Braddock or elsewhere thinks a discount on foie gras is really going to help those in the neighborhood who are struggling.
that is definitely a little hypocritical.

honestly though, i think a good amount of Pittsburgh's resurgence is due to born and raised locals that have chosen to stay in the area or moved back. of course you have google and the like which bring in transplants, but people underestimate the amount of growth by hometown folks and companies. this kind of goes against the narrative that is pushed by the show.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

that is definitely a little hypocritical. sousa really has a great pr department. the guy that has sold businesses because of pittsburgh resurgence joining in on the conversation to demonize it.

honestly though, i think a good amount of Pittsburgh's resurgence is due to born and raised locals that have chosen to stay in the area or moved back. of course you have google and the like which bring in transplants, but people underestimate the amount of growth by hometown folks and companies. this kind of goes against the narrative that is pushed by the show.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:37 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Civic Center? What is/was that?
Civic arena...my bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh