Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Coyotes.
Heck we have them in Fox Chapel and we had a bear last year, so way out in McCanldess I suspect they have all that and more. I like it up that way, but one negative. It is west of the city and I love what is more east as in Seven Springs, Ligonier and Nemacolin. That is further away from places I enjoy. Of course you have McConnell's Mills and closer to North Country. Still no skiing, but I am getting old, so maybe I will quit!

Anyway, I think that whole area is great. I could easily live out that way especially these days as there is just so much friction nearer the city due to social media's hyped up garbage!

Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
From North Park to 7 Springs: 1 h 18 min (67.6 miles)

Old 10-30-2017, 08:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
From North Park to 7 Springs: 1 h 18 min (67.6 miles)
I get there in less than an hour. Best time 50 minutes. I do live in a very good location, but you pay for it. In McCandless I could have a huge home and everything, but here? It ain't cheap.

Thanks for the info though. It is nice up there. Nothing out east is all that great unless you are in Greensburg, Lignonier, Nemacolin or Seven Springs areas. The north hills is the nicest area in our region other than of course Fox Chapel which is the wealthiest town in the entire state. If might rank nationally, if I didn't live here.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:21 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I get there in less than an hour. Best time 50 minutes. I do live in a very good location, but you pay for it. In McCandless I could have a huge home and everything, but here? It ain't cheap.

Thanks for the info though. It is nice up there. Nothing out east is all that great unless you are in Greensburg, Lignonier, Nemacolin or Seven Springs areas. The north hills is the nicest area in our region other than of course Fox Chapel which is the wealthiest town in the entire state. If might rank nationally, if I didn't live here.
McCandless is north of the city and takes about the same time to get downtown as Fox Chapel. Longer to the East End though.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
McCandless is north of the city and takes about the same time to get downtown as Fox Chapel. Longer to the East End though.

Yeah, but the East End is too, too snobby for we Town of McCandless types.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:43 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is true, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Outside of the couple walkable towns (Mt Lebo, Sewickley, Aspinwall) Pittsburgh suburbs seem rural, run down or both. The McKnight Corridor is the closest Pittsburgh gets to typical American Suburbia. Sure, it’s basic and uninspiring, but it’s a step up from the rest of Western Pennsyltucky.
You left out Oakmont which is underrated on this board. Oakmont reminds me a lot of the train stop towns of the south. Too bad Verona is tied in to Penn Hills because that could be a nice revitalized town.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:53 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You left out Oakmont which is underrated on this board. Oakmont reminds me a lot of the train stop towns of the south. Too bad Verona is tied in to Penn Hills because that could be a nice revitalized town.
Oakmont is another good town with some character. Definitely not generic like McCandless. I'm not sure why Oakmont, FC, Aspinwall, or Mt. Lebo are in this discussion. They have real character and feel more attached to the city.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:29 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Verona proper actually forms the Riverview School District with Oakmont. Parts of the 15147 zip code (including Rick Santorum’s “official” residence) are in Penn Hills, and also Plum.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:36 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Verona proper actually forms the Riverview School District with Oakmont. Parts of the 15147 zip code (including Rick Santorum’s “official” residence) are in Penn Hills, and also Plum.
Verona proper has been getting blacker however over the last decade, just like the outer portions of Penn Hills. It's not a large population (around 10%) but it's been enough for the old working-class white population to begin feeling uncomfortable about the "changes" to their borough, with racist incidents being reported in the local press. Sadly, given how American racism works, in 10-20 years time most white parents probably won't feel comfortable sending their kids to Riverview School District.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Oakmont is another good town with some character. Definitely not generic like McCandless. I'm not sure why Oakmont, FC, Aspinwall, or Mt. Lebo are in this discussion. They have real character and feel more attached to the city.
I like Oakmont, especially all the brick streets. But, overall it feels like a lot of other small towns, you know, generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh