Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:13 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times

Advertisements

What about the Tic-Toc Restaurant? There will be hell to pay if that isn't resurrected. One of the best parts of former Kaufmann's store. I'd contact every older lady waitress and hire them back. Make it look identical. Same menu. Everything. Now that would be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
As for the Civic Arena site, I don't care so much for the content but am fine with it as long as it has a very urban feel. If it even remotely looks like the Waterfront or South Side Works I will be greatly disappointed.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:03 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,909 times
That place needs to be a destination even if there isn't a game or event happening, like the area around the Washington Capitals arena. You walk around the arena during the day or when there isn't something going on it feels depressed and desolate.

I think a lifestyle center would be good, better than than just a place for offices.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:07 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
That place needs to be a destination even if there isn't a game or event happening, like the area around the Washington Capitals arena. You walk around the arena during the day or when there isn't something going on it feels depressed and desolate.

I think a lifestyle center would be good, better than than just a place for offices.

If that lifestyle center looks nothing like Southside Works then fine but I swear if they release some design from 2007 that looks like Disney designed it, it will be be nothing less than disappointing.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
I thought a much more creative use would have been a good idea - a transportation hub, maybe, with oodles of parking and shuttles galore to get commuters to different points quickly. And then design and build condo units and offices around THAT.

Old Macy's - they are doing interior work, i see, but i think they are running into problems with the public area around the building. Maybe they were not allowed to work simultaneously with what is going on next door.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:18 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
It could be a good area with the right mix - if they could pull off something like Penn Quarter in DC near the Verizon center it would be pretty good. Not completely chain oriented- maybe a few chains but also some independent restaurants/bars/shops. If they do it in a real, classic urban format, and not a way that screams tourist trap it could be very successful.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times
Depends on which city they choose, but I was hoping it would be filled with Amazon's new HQ2.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Whatever they build on the former Civic Arena site, I hope that it's no more than five stories tall, with brick that goes no higher than the third story. I also hope that every building is designed with a cupola, because cupolas are neat. Every new building in the city should have a cupola. MOAR CUPOLAS, PLZ! KTHX

Old 11-09-2017, 02:59 PM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Civic Center site will absolutely end up looking like South Side Works if parking minimums are going to be enforced.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:25 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Here's the thing - IS there demand? The "build it and they will come" doesn't always work out that way. I believe in a recent thread the South Side Works was discussed as to why it hasn't fulfilled its potential. There was nothing 100% conclusive in that discussion.

I think there is only so much demand for more space in most cities. And that space has to be a competitive location.

In a fantasy world, the Lower Hill site could be production for the corporate offices downtown. Maybe a garment manufacturing center, as well as computer parts, or a bindery - types of jobs that are not high-technical in nature but satisfying employment for the lower working class of the City.

But who knows, after something like 4 years now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh