Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:40 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,352,616 times

Advertisements

After roughly over a week span in Allegheny County when six Black/Bi-racial minors were shot, two fatally, four from the same school district, (and one more under 25 homicide/13 total mostly Black people shot all ages included) with no arrest in any of the cases... There's no thread, no comments, no outrage... Why?
Since 2015 youth violence has been on the rise and unvsolved murder as a whole have been up in Allegheny County... Time Magazine online covered the recent violence regarding Woodland Hills students A Third Student From the Same School Has Been Shot This Week
On the forum:
There sure is a lot of participation on "Opioid deaths in Allegheny County"...
Meanwhile, "Police officer shot and killed in New Kensington" sure got a lot of attention...
Perhaps it's for the better, due to bigorty and trolling that occur when certain people start these threads, with out many facts and they get out of hand!
---
This really reflects the 'tale of two cities' mentioned in the widely discredited Pittsburgh episode of parts unknown. Data reflects this as well. Murder zone vs. the murder free zone read these articles or look the maps presented

In Pittsburgh, neighborhood violence lives next door to prosperity

- 'I just want to be 18. All we want is to make it to 18': The wrenching lives of young survivors of violence take a look at the map

Gun violence is a public health crisis in Pittsburgh. Why hasn’t it been solved? - take a look at that map

- In Pittsburgh, the deadliness of shootings varies by neighborhood take a look at the map

- Getting an illegal gun in Pittsburgh is easy. Why hundreds of seizures aren’t stopping the problem. - take a look at this map

Can Pittsburgh contain gun violence after a brutal 2016? Police hope interventions will make a difference.

^The answer is no, mass incarceration that doesn't rehabilitate the offender doesn't help, shot spotter helps - but it won'r cure the violence, what they've done to quiet Allegheny Dwellings helps temporarily, but without better jobs and education and a whole scale societal reform. Next I'll post the most recent shootings as more people were shot since today...

Last edited by Uptown kid; 12-05-2017 at 12:10 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,433,746 times
Careful what you wish for, mine came true, you're back.

I think we're all getting numb to shootings these days, both locally and nationally. Seems like it never ends. I'm in total agreement as to the solution: better jobs and education. That's the only way.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:58 AM

Children and teens shot last week/couple days
- Girls aged 10, 3 shot in Addison Village section of Skyline Terrace (formerly Addison Terrace at Elmore Square)
- 14 yr old boy shot fatally in Lincoln
- 16 yr old boy shot fatally and 13 year old injured in shooting in Turtle Creek (near Woodland Hills Academy and Propel East schools)
- 17 yr old shot in North Braddock (area near Braddock) while waiting for bus stop
---
Adults shot last week/couple days
- Man shot in Wilkinsburg
- Man shot in Allentown near Beltzhoover
- Man shot on 5th Ave near Consol/PPG Paint Arena
- Three shot inside Homewood's Frankstown Avenue and 800 Brushton Avenue market store
- Man shot in Swissvale
---
Most recently:
- 4 shot (double homicide and two wounded in shooting) at Homewood North Apts @ Everton Street in Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar
(near Homewood North)
- Shooting in 2100 Parkhill Drive or Maple Ridge Apts in the East Hills

Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,494,665 times
It seems to me that teenaged violence is a problem of poor impulse control by certain individuals. It's not a problem that can be addressed through jobs, and I don't think education can change it either. Maybe more widespread use of psychiatric meds would reduce the violence.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:10 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,837,899 times
Your second point answers it....these are occurring in areas where shootings are not all that rare - the news doesn’t give much coverage to things that are more the norm. A police officer being shot is rare & thus makes the news. The opiod issue is relatively new thus makes the news - this too will fall by the wayside. Bullets flying in the hood isn’t so it doesn’t make the news. News stations only cover issues that drive ratings & bring in revenue as a result. If it’s not new/unique or something inflammatory it doesn’t get the coverage. Their coverage is what often drives discussion here & elsewhere.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,271,111 times
people from the city don't post because they don't want to recognize the real crime that occurs in the city.

people from outside the city don't want to post because they will be labeled pearl clutchers and told that the city really is safe and these crimes are between known actors and related to drugs. it really isn't that hard to comprehend.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,751,450 times
While I agree better jobs and education are part of the answer, I also think there needs to be more neighbourhood involvement, more awareness of consequences if one does something wrong. There also needs to be more respect towards the police and people trying to figure out the problems and solutions together.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
After roughly over a week span in Allegheny County when six Black/Bi-racial minors were shot, two fatally, four from the same school district, (and one more under 25 homicide/13 total mostly Black people shot all ages included) with no arrest in any of the cases... There's no thread, no comments, no outrage... Why?
Since 2015 youth violence has been on the rise and unvsolved murder as a whole have been up in Allegheny County... Time Magazine online covered the recent violence regarding Woodland Hills students A Third Student From the Same School Has Been Shot This Week
On the forum:
There sure is a lot of participation on "Opioid deaths in Allegheny County"...
Meanwhile, "Police officer shot and killed in New Kensington" sure got a lot of attention...
I have in the past posted such things, but have been called "racist" for doing so. I posted about the opioid situation in our region with statistics in the article and BOOM was hammered by a forum member for posting negative threads. I started the thread on the New Ken cop that was murdered, because I felt it was the right thing to do. I noticed the shootings on the news and thought about posting something, but I can't for obvious reasons. It is something that white males probably shouldn't mention anymore. I have given my opinion what troubled neighborhoods should do to help, but no one cares and most attack me for budding into something that isn't my business. On top of that, I hate to say it but shootings between very young black males are becoming normal and once something becomes normal, it gets talked about less. I do feel after Wendy Bell and really the attitude towards white people these days, you will just see less people talking about it, since they will be considered racist if they even mention it. I don't think the black community wants to hear some white person mention a teen shooting in a black neighborhood, so most will shy away from it.

It is nice to see you post as you are so well informed and really are a great read, not to mention your perspective is so valuable.

Heck I am watching the news right now and wow, the amount of shootings are insane in black communities. Heck a cop was shot at in Wilkinsburg just last night, but returned fire and shot the criminal. He is in critical condition. I can't get over the amount of shootings and thought they were reporting old news on top of new, but no that was all just last night. Wow.

Anyway, you can't blame most white people for keeping quiet. People don't want to hear another whitey say a damn thing about shootings not in their neighborhood. We just will be called racist if we say something about it. I feel bad that kids are being shot at such ages. Very sad, but I think the trend will just continue.

Thanks for taking your time to post your thoughts. I can only give a reason why I am quiet about it.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Your second point answers it....these are occurring in areas where shootings are not all that rare - the news doesn’t give coverage to things that are more the norm. A police officer being shot is rare & thus makes the news. The opiod issue is relatively new thus makes the news - this too will fall by the wayside. Bullets flying in the hood isn’t so it doesn’t make the news. News stations only cover issues that drive ratings & bring in revenue as a result. If it’s not new/unique or something inflammatory it doesn’t get the coverage. Their coverage is what often drives discussion here & elsewhere.
I was to tired to link all of the news articles to the respective shooting incidents attached to them, however the news has extensively covered all of these shooting. All local outlets and even Time with Woodland Hills...

Also the opioid epidemic is not new with regards heroin in urban America... Harlem, Oakland, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh's Hill District, etc. Fentanyl was even publicized to be found in Pittsburgh's Hazelwood area before it was a well known and passionate focal point of the "new opioid epidemic" (which kills even upper/middle class Whites opposed to Black/Brown/people in "the ghetto") and so I don't see your point...

My point is it's easier to avoid talking about it because it's not in your face if you're a certain class White, or live outside/don't have contact the "murder zones". Also it's safe to say than for certain people value the life of a White police officer significantly over the lives and well being of young Black children in the "inner city"...

Old 12-05-2017, 11:29 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,939,177 times
I think a great deal of the unsolvedness comes from the continued distrust built between law enforcement and the communities. If a white kid is shot, the white community talks, lots of information gets sent to police and no one feels like talking will get them in trouble. If a minority kid is shot, especially by another minority, the community may feel like the police will just continue to harass the community if anyone talks and no one wants their brother, son, father to go to jail, especially if the shooting was drug related. And the victim's family may know exactly who it was, but don't trust the police to punish the perpetrator, but instead punish everyone because their is drug guilt to spread around. Police have become victimizers themselves because of their mandate to go after the drug trade and its prevalence in minority communities. Its not unique to Pittsburgh that minorities shun the police. Its a persistent tragedy in many areas of the country, but as long as the reactionaries control the governments, its not something that will be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh