Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:38 PM

432 posts, read 359,462 times

Advertisements

I live in the city of Pittsburgh. My neighbor had been talking about remodeling her garage. Currently the garage wall is about a foot from the property line, and the roof overhang ends right at our shared property line.

Today I got an email from her saying that construction was going to start this week. She says the garage will be mostly torn down and rebuilt with the wall right at the property line, with no overhang. New cement foundation will be poured.

This is my first property, and I have many questions. Among them are:
1) Are garages (mostly new, but presumably with some of the old left for grandfathering purposes) allowed to have the wall right at the property line, with no overhang and no setback? Not sure I mind, since there's currently a little strip of her property on my side of her garage that she can't access, but I was surprised. She got a variance for not having an alley setback on the back side, but that was when she was remodeling, not rebuilding.

2) If they're going to pour cement to the property line, I guess they expect to enter my property to dig, put in forms, etc. Is it usual to assume that this is okay with no permission? Is there some law that says I have to allow access or work on my side of the line?

Not trying to pick a fight with this person, but I also want to make sure I enforce my rights, make her ask for written permission if appropriate, not set a precedent for her to make assumptions, etc.

Any insight from you, please? Any other things I should be thinking about? Thanks!

Last edited by Pughnose; 05-20-2018 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: edited for formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 01:51 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
you could just ask them if they got the construction permit for it, that would answer your questions I think. They can probably build right up to the property line. I doubt they will really have to go into your property for construction unless it is an unsually tight area they are building in.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:59 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,732 times
Call the building department, in general you usually can not build right on a property line. There are setbacks from roads, other buildings, property lines that usually apply. I do not know city codes specfic but a call will give you the answers. Grandfathering a structure might be possible but often a complete tear down negates that. A quick look online I found the link below, I would think a detached garage would be considered an accessory structure which seems to look like it needs 5 ft from the property line. Again just give a call and you can confirm, there should have been permits filed as well which if so then there would be an inspection.

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/Res...e_Setbacks.pdf

Old 05-20-2018, 02:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,850 times
When a structure is changed any claim to grandfathering goes out the window, if it's getting a new footer my guess is the footer will be on the line and the new wall will be close to the original location. I would definitely call the inspector and definitely take some time stamped before pictures.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:59 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
you could just ask them if they got the construction permit for it, that would answer your questions I think. They can probably build right up to the property line. I doubt they will really have to go into your property for construction unless it is an unsually tight area they are building in.

I wonder if they have a permit. I don't think you can build that close to the property line without a variance and I don't think they could get a variance without your neighbor having received some kind of notice. Nobody who isn't trying to pull something over on a neighbor would wait until the day before to spring something like this on them.

Personally, if the garage was going to be in a place that caused problems for me or if there wasn't a permit, I'd be trying to find a lawyer who answered his or her phone on a Sunday night.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I wonder if they have a permit. I don't think you can build that close to the property line without a variance and I don't think they could get a variance without your neighbor having received some kind of notice. Nobody who isn't trying to pull something over on a neighbor would wait until the day before to spring something like this on them.

Personally, if the garage was going to be in a place that caused problems for me or if there wasn't a permit, I'd be trying to find a lawyer who answered his or her phone on a Sunday night.

It sounds like the OP is more concerned with them going on her property, I mean the garage is basically going to be right in the same spot, its already a foot from the line with roof overhang. They would need permission to go into the OPs property I'm sure for construction (if necessary). So they can just make it known that permission will be needed if that occurs. but if the OP really might have a problem with the new structure they should definitely get the building plans

Old 05-20-2018, 07:03 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,442 times
They can't build something new to the property line. they have to adhere to setbacks. If there's a current garage, they can rebuild on the same outline. They still have to go through zoning and permitting.

You can check building eye to see if they got a permit. If they got a permit, there's nothing you can do about it. If they didn't, then they are screwed if they start without it.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:04 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,442 times
I'll add that some areas have a zero foot setback. I've only experienced them in commercial LNC zoned ares though.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I'll add that some areas have a zero foot setback. I've only experienced them in commercial LNC zoned ares though.
There are some areas of the city with zero setbacks but I believe it is more for row houses and tightly built homes.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:24 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
man, what a **** she is.

they will likely step into your yard to pour the foundation. that is not a problem, assuming

thanks, knepper for that link to a useful graphic.

the devil is in the details, though:

She says the garage will be mostly torn down and rebuilt with the wall right at the property line, with no overhang

im not sure, but i think she might know exactly what she is doing - does "mostly" mean a remodeling, vs. an actual new structure? this way, she can skirt the setback issue since the current overhand IS at the PLine. In the end, there is technically still no encroachment.

but she still is a pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: