Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
As a heads up, that 'Cathedral' is pretty much a Cathedral in name only. It's small, has a small congregation, etc. It's just a typical parish.

The largest Orthodox Church in the North Hills is Holy Trinity, a Greek Orthodox Church in McCandless.

There aren't many Orthodox Churches in the North Hills to be honest. The majority are going to be on the South Side or in the South Hills. I believe there is a Greek Orthodox Church in Oakmont (near Fox Chapel) and there is a Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Oakland (between the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie-Mellon).

There are also some further up the Ohio River - McKees Rocks, Aliquippa, etc.

Jesus. People can be diverse, even if they're still white.
My son is entering third grade in Shaler. Just got back from two weeks in Russia with his mom. Lives in a Russian-speaking household.
Sorry that since he's got pale skin he doesn't qualify as being diverse, or being able to offer a multi-cultural perspective, in your eyes. There's more to diversity than how much melanin is in someone's skin.
I’m sorry, but to someone moving from the DC metro area, a smattering of Europeans (and make no mistake, most will be Eastern European) does not equal diversity. Fox Chapel wouldn’t even have the EUROPEAN diversity found at Colfax and Allderdice. The link I posted so is the total foreign-born population of every town in the school district to total less than 2000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 03:18 PM

18 posts, read 22,389 times
Quote:
My son is entering third grade in Shaler. Just got back from two weeks in Russia with his mom. Lives in a Russian-speaking household.
I just got back from Russia too and now have only two weeks to relocate)
Do you know - is there big Russian speaking community in Pittsburgh and suburbs (we live in DC area now and even have two Russian schools here).

Old 07-12-2018, 03:58 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex83 View Post
I just got back from Russia too and now have only two weeks to relocate)
Do you know - is there big Russian speaking community in Pittsburgh and suburbs (we live in DC area now and even have two Russian schools here).
In the suburbs? No.
There is no Brighton Beach - esque neighborhood here.
There are many Russians in Squirrel Hill - that is a Jewish neighborhood. It's my understanding that many of the Russians there were Jews who were able to emigrate from the Soviet Union. Other Russians would be connected to the Universities and Hospitals.

Although Alexander Nevsky has a Russian name, and patron saint, it is an Orthodox Church in America church. Very Americanized. Liturgy in English.
There is a Russian church in the South Side (St Mary's). I don't believe their priest is Russian though. There is another Russian church in Homestead (St Gregory's). St Gregory's I believe would be a better fit for your family if language and religion are important (just based off of their website, which does include Russian): Welcome to St. Gregory's Russian Orthodox Church, Homestead, Pennsylvania » St. Gregory Russian Chruch

There is also a very large Carpato-Rusyn and Ukrainian community here. I'm not overly familiar with them though.

There is a small grocery store in Greenfield/Squirrel Hill that sells products your family may like. It is named Kiev and is on Murray Avenue: https://www.yelp.com/biz/kiev-pittsburgh
S&D Polish Deli in the Strip District may also be beneficial for you: S&D Polish Deli - Home

There is an Uzbek restaurant that is popular with some Russians as well. Kavsar: about

Pitt has a Center for Russian and Eastern European Studies that may also have some events that would interest you: https://www.facebook.com/pittcrees/

I hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the information!
Definitely not looking for a Brighton Beach here) Just would be nice to meet some Russian-speaking people every now and then.

Another question - I've found that North Allegheny and Pine Richland districts have half-day Kindergarten while Fox Chapel has full-day.

Anybody knows something about Hampton, Mars, Quaker Valley, Avonworth, North Hills?

We're going to start Kindergarten and half-day is a really inconvenient option (my wife is at home with the baby, not much free time).

Old 07-12-2018, 04:44 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...06_rect/14_zm/

what are your thoughts on this? walkable to a pool in the NA school district.

Kudos to you for a helpful response to a poster's questions, and for not attempting to "educate him to change his stated needs."

Old 07-12-2018, 05:04 PM

93 posts, read 91,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex83 View Post
Another question - I've found that North Allegheny and Pine Richland districts have half-day Kindergarten while Fox Chapel has full-day.

Anybody knows something about Hampton, Mars, Quaker Valley, Avonworth, North Hills?

We're going to start Kindergarten and half-day is a really inconvenient option (my wife is at home with the baby, not much free time).

Avonworth: full day
North Hills: full day
Hampton: half day
Quaker Valley: half day this year, switching to full day for 2019-2020

Old 07-12-2018, 05:37 PM

@punctus_contra_punctum thank you!

For those interested: Mars Area SD also has half-day Kindergarten

Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
FWIW, there's a lot of Russians in Greenfield.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The cultural diversity of the FCSD is overstated, to say the least. The school district is 85% white, with a decent sized Asian population.

https://statisticalatlas.com/school-...ational-Origin
Um, cultural diversity is not the same as the hue of one's skin diversity. Russians, Greek, French, Estonians, blah, blah, blah are "white" for statistical purposes. Global thinkers don't consider the hue of one's skin as "diverse", it has more to do with countries people are from. FC has many languages being spoken and with its proximity to Pitt and CMU, you have an influx of international kids because parents have relocated here and working at the Universities. I will never understand the term "diverse" in the US as it applies to the color of one's skin as opposed to countries/regions, but we are stuck with that odd term for different Americans. Personally I think it is racist to separate Americans in such a manner, but it seems to be accepted.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Jesus. People can be diverse, even if they're still white.
Sorry that since he's got pale skin he doesn't qualify as being diverse, or being able to offer a multi-cultural perspective, in your eyes. There's more to diversity than how much melanin is in someone's skin.
Agreed. International people don't use the term "diverse" like city dwellers in the US do at all. I has to do with culture of countries, not the hue of one's skin. I get so tired of that term being miss-used in the US, but it is here to stay I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh