Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:04 AM

18 posts, read 13,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Moved from upstate NY so, believe it or not, Pittsburgh was a weather UPgrade for us! You are keeping your house in Naples, so I see little downside for you assumiing this is an affordable arrangement given your financial situation. I too love to bike and I live in the municipality of Bethel Park close to South Park which is a 2000 acre county park with lots of good road and mt bike riding. In addition, there is a spur to the Montour Trail which conmects to the Great Allegheny Passage trail to Washington DC. I know several people who have made the ride. Takes about 5 days with lots of beautifhl scemery and B&B's (air and the other kind) along the way.

I rode last week in 30 degree weather with 20 mph winds and it was tolerable . That's about my lower limit though. In a normal year you get about 8 months of good riding weather. This year winter seems to be arriving way ahead of schedule.

If you are looking for sidewalks, the only suburbs I know of that would offer them to any extent are Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley, Carnegie, and Oakmont. Others more familiar with the area can perhaps offer more.
Oh my God, you are much more experienced biker, than me. Ride at 30 degrees?! You are my hero! I don't think I would ever be able to do it) Please stay warm. And always welcome to Florida) We have very nice trails too. Just watch for the alligators)
Thank you for all that subarbs names. I have something to research about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I moved back to Pittsburgh in 2012 (born and raised here) after living in Tampa for 20+ years. I could no longer stand the heat and humidity there. I love the climate here. My favorite months are October and May. Least favorite - July and January. Spring and fall are very beautiful. It's gloomy in Nov and Dec and again in March. Take Vitamin D3 if it affects your mood.

Homes here are older than you're used to in FL. Newer developments are further away from downtown, although there are new townhouses being constructed in the city. Depending on when you established your residence there, taxes could be higher here. There's also a state and local income tax here.

Good luck.
Thank you for your story! Glad you find place you like.
I am okay with hit and humidity here, but looking for a more young people around with the kids ( we are both 42 yet old). In Naples age diversity is not so close to us)))

Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Again, that depends the person. I was almost forced to move to Florida 6-7 years ago and I wouldn't touch Naples. Maybe when im 70. I was down to Sarasota, mainly because it was the only SD on the gulf coast that i wouldn't have to look for private school(similar problem I had with South Carolina). A lot of my family lives down there estero, naples, ft meyers and this is going by what they tell me, and ones a teacher. Supposedly its the best or 2nd best in the state and would be middle of the road in our area.

So would I move to Pittsburgh, yes no brainer since i have a younger family. Its one of the best cities in the country. It has its pros and cons but its very unique, very vibrant, tons of unique neighborhoods, great schools, affordable housing, kids activities and programs to no end.

But yes it rains and snows. Not a ton of snow lately but hoping for a good blizzard this winter.

Mt Lebo is a good choice, almost anywhere north of the city once you get out of pittsburgh Public are all great school districts. Pretty much anywhere but east of the city, you have to go too far east to get to good SD's
Thank you a lot for a thoughtful response! It's what I need! Yes, many people said it's very bored here in Naples)
A lots of rain and snow- short way to depression?
I ready to give up on sun, but to have some nice people around. Make some new family friends who is our age)

Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Thank you for this links. I can see we can afford to rent place here. It's really nice homes. Yes, it's absolutely different than our house in Florida. But it's nice and cozy)
Those fireplaces are soooo nice.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:21 AM

What about the taxes? How much we will have to pay from the salary? Taxes depend on location?
Do you have crazy high electric bill during the winter months?
Thank you so much ! You are really nice and helpful people!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:56 AM

755 posts, read 472,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiolus12 View Post
What about the taxes? How much we will have to pay from the salary? Taxes depend on location?

Real estate taxes run between $23/$1,000 assessed value (in the city) and $27-32 in most suburbs.

The city taxes wages at 3%. Most municipalities are between 1% and 1.5%. so that's the trade-off you need to calculate given your home value/wages. I did the math for us, and on a $175k home it came down to being cheaper to live in the city if we earned less than about $90K as I recall. I had a formula for this but lost it. Sharpen your pencil! One thing about working in the city is that there is some weird occupational privilege tax whereby even if you only work in the city (and live outside) they still take 1% of your earnings. so factor that in to your calculation. Plus there is some nickel and dime $52 annual surtax collected by the city.

PA income tax is 3.07%.

I think electricity costs are about average with what you would pay most places in the US. Between .06 - .08/kwh, depending on the supplier you choose, plus the distribution costs. Most people heat with natural gas. Based on my experience, for a 2,000 sq ft home with minimal R-value you should budget about $120/mo ($1,440 per year). Better insulated homes (i.e. built after say 1975), will be a good bit less costly to heat/cool.

I believe sales tax is 7% in Allegheny County and 6% elsewhere. The 1% goes to support the RAD (Regional Asset District): https://www.radworkshere.org/ Food and clothing are exempt.

Last edited by Charley Barker; 11-13-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

No. You've listed some nice finds but that ranch house I'll bet was built in the 1950s and the other is a duplex. Link to the type of house that I was talking about in O'Hara Township and in the Fox Chapel School District. Rent is $3,000 per month.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...51_rect/11_zm/?

Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Real estate taxes run between $23/$1,000 assessed value (in the city) and $27-32 in most suburbs.

The city taxes wages at 3%. Most municipalities are between 1% and 1.5%. so that's the trade-off you need to calculate given your home value/wages. I did the math for us, and on a $175k home it came down to being cheaper to live in the city if we earned less than about $90K as I recall. I had a formula for this but lost it. Sharpen your pencil! One thing about working in the city is that there is some weird occupational privilege tax whereby even if you only work in the city (and live outside) they still take 1% of your earnings. so factor that in to your calculation. Plus there is some nickel and dime $52 annual surtax collected by the city.

PA income tax is 3.07%.

I think electricity costs are about average with what you would pay most places in the US. Between .06 - .08/kwh, depending on the supplier you choose, plus the distribution costs. Most people heat with natural gas. Based on my experience, for a 2,000 sq ft home with minimal R-value you should budget about $120/mo ($1,440 per year). Better insulated homes (i.e. built after say 1975), will be a good bit less costly to heat/cool.

I believe sales tax is 7% in Allegheny County and 6% elsewhere. The 1% goes to support the RAD (Regional Asset District): https://www.radworkshere.org/ Food and clothing are exempt.

Non-city residents who work in the city but live outside the city only pay the $52 a year "local services" tax.

The 1% is for city residents (plus another 2% for school taxes), out of staters who commute to the city for work, and then Mt. Oliver residents pay 2% total.

http://pittsburghpa.gov/finance/taxes/index.html

Old 11-13-2018, 09:53 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
No. You've listed some nice finds but that ranch house I'll bet was built in the 1950s and the other is a duplex. Link to the type of house that I was talking about in O'Hara Township and in the Fox Chapel School District. Rent is $3,000 per month.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...51_rect/11_zm/?
I'm not sure the OP wants something newer but Highland Village townhomes are in her price range and in a good school district.

https://walnutcapital.com/properties/highland-village/

Old 11-13-2018, 11:27 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiolus12 View Post
Electric costs are lower than Florida. Most people have gas furnaces for heat in the winter. Homeowner's insurance is much lower than Florida, as is car insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh