Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,100,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Every major city has a Lawrenceville type neighborhood. Pittsburgh’s most ethnic feel of a neighborhood anymore is squirrel hill. The polish and Italian neighborhoods don’t feel ethnic. It’s probably due to changes over time.
For the most part people integrate in Pittsburgh, because it is a live and let live type of city. There is no gay neighborhood because people don't care one way or the other. I think this is a plus. There is some segregation with race, but everything else is integrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 08:07 PM

615 posts, read 396,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
For the most part people integrate in Pittsburgh, because it is a live and let live type of city. There is no gay neighborhood because people don't care one way or the other. I think this is a plus. There is some segregation with race, but everything else is integrated.
OK but that wasn’t really the point I was trying to make. Plenty of neighborhoods are integrated in other cities as well. It just unique to Pittsburgh. I like little Italy because it is all Italian restaurants and feels Italian. It’s a true little Italy. Pittsburgh has a Jewish neighborhood and a growing Latino neighborhood. Most cities have the Latino hood. Pittsburgh is just becoming generic to me. I dunno

Old 10-08-2019, 08:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,100,607 times
Quote:
OK but that wasn’t really the point I was trying to make. Plenty of neighborhoods are integrated in other cities as well. It just unique to Pittsburgh. I like little Italy because it is all Italian restaurants and feels Italian. It’s a true little Italy. Pittsburgh has a Jewish neighborhood and a growing Latino neighborhood. Most cities have the Latino hood. Pittsburgh is just becoming generic to me. I dunno
I think it is time people integrate. It took a long time for Italians to just integrate and be Americans. I think it is getting tacky to have a little Italy. We had one and they integrated as they should. Little Italy in Cleveland isn't Italy at all. Not even close. Latinos still seem to stay together, but that will also go away as it should. It is out of date really. How long do people hold on? Two generations? Three? It is silly.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:35 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,086,319 times
compare downtowns for vibrancy and OK, Cleveland may impress more.

compare cities overall, and does Cleveland have the now numerous centers of commerce and entertainment that we do?

hint: no, not nearly the same.

Some of their western suburbs are very, very nice and middle class, though, like Fairview Park and Rocky River.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:58 AM

615 posts, read 396,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
compare downtowns for vibrancy and OK, Cleveland may impress more.

compare cities overall, and does Cleveland have the now numerous centers of commerce and entertainment that we do?

hint: no, not nearly the same.

Some of their western suburbs are very, very nice and middle class, though, like Fairview Park and Rocky River.
See that is where I disagree. Little Italy, more vibrant downtown with more residents. The strip district pales in comparison to west side market. The Burke lakefront airport with its air show over Lake Erie in the summer. The regatta is defunct. The rock and roll hall of fame, Cleveland’s botanical gardens on the east side, the Cleveland museum of art which is nicer than the Carnegie museums and used to be free to the public. Only 3 dollars to park in their lot. Crawford classic car and aviation museums. Tower city downtown. And the Cleveland zoo, bigger than Pittsburgh’s which is looking rough and not kept up these days. And the Cleveland metro parks system is excellent.

I think where Pittsburgh beats Cleveland is the city has more intact neighborhoods. You have nice neighborhoods in Cleveland but more bad ones. You forgot about Universitu heights, Cleveland heights and shaker heights on the east side. Urban suburbs nicer than here in the burgh.

The coolest neighborhoods of Pittsburgh are the south side flats, Mexican war streets and the view from mount Washington. You can find everything else in a city like Cleveland. Some better and some worse, but Pittsburgh is hardly unique in standing out amongst a crowd. Pittsburgh just has less blight and less crime.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:28 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,125,901 times
It's worth saying once again that Downtown Cleveland is over three times larger than Downtown Pittsburgh in terms of land area, meaning it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Downtown Cleveland has lots of different sub-neighborhoods which have different uses - and some of these uses in Pittsburgh are placed just outside of Downtown in areas like the North Shore, Station Square, Strip District, Uptown, etc.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:49 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,560,462 times
Quote:
I think where Pittsburgh beats Cleveland is the city has more intact neighborhoods. You have nice neighborhoods in Cleveland but more bad ones. You forgot about Universitu heights, Cleveland heights and shaker heights on the east side. Urban suburbs nicer than here in the burgh.

Not a Cleveland expert, but wouldn't Mt. Lebanon be considered and Urban suburb just like Shaker Heights?

Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,068,390 times
Pittsburgh's historic housing stock is much, much more impressive than Cleveland's. Pittsburgh also has more intact neighborhood business districts.

Honestly, though, one city is not necessarily better than the other. They both have similar population size, amenities, COL, problems, and strengths. Which one you prefer has more to do with personal preference than other factors.

Personally, I think Pittsburgh has more character than Cleveland. I feel like Cleveland has no personality. It is like most other cities in Ohio in that sense, not having much of a distinct identity. The only thing that really makes Cleveland stand out from other cities is Lake Erie.

In terms of rust-belt cities, Cleveland is low on charm. Pittsburgh and Buffalo are just overflowing with charm and character in comparison.

Some things that make Pittsburgh unique and charming: the crazy landscapes with house perched on the side of mountains overlooking rivers, the beautiful bridges, the rustic mill towns, the row houses, the weird little streets and crazy layout..

One could be dropped off in Cleveland or Columbus and feel like you were anywhere. Pittsburgh at its best is a weird little Appalachian city with lots of history. Of course, the powers that be are turning Pgh into a mini Seattle or Charlotte clone, but at its heart, it is a unique place.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,144,962 times
I like Cleveland, not more than Pittsburgh but I think it has good points like any city. I do agree though if Cleveland was not on Lake Erie we wouldnt even be talking about it. I think that is the one thing it has going for it over Pittsburgh, that and an NBA team.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:30 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,738,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Pittsburgh's historic housing stock is much, much more impressive than Cleveland's. Pittsburgh also has more intact neighborhood business districts.

Honestly, though, one city is not necessarily better than the other. They both have similar population size, amenities, COL, problems, and strengths. Which one you prefer has more to do with personal preference than other factors.

Personally, I think Pittsburgh has more character than Cleveland. I feel like Cleveland has no personality. It is like most other cities in Ohio in that sense, not having much of a distinct identity. The only thing that really makes Cleveland stand out from other cities is Lake Erie.

In terms of rust-belt cities, Cleveland is low on charm. Pittsburgh and Buffalo are just overflowing with charm and character in comparison.

Some things that make Pittsburgh unique and charming: the crazy landscapes with house perched on the side of mountains overlooking rivers, the beautiful bridges, the rustic mill towns, the row houses, the weird little streets and crazy layout..

One could be dropped off in Cleveland or Columbus and feel like you were anywhere. Pittsburgh at its best is a weird little Appalachian city with lots of history. Of course, the powers that be are turning Pgh into a mini Seattle or Charlotte clone, but at its heart, it is a unique place.
Yes to this entire post. I've lived in Cleveland. For about 2 months and quickly moved back here.

Nice to place to visit. But I wouldn't wanna live there. Too flat. Too much lake effect snow etc. Good baseball team though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh