Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 02:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,023,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The BRT will benefit the Asian neighborhoods of Oakland, Squirrel Hill, and Shadyside. This isn't 2008. I embrace the increasing diversity of Pittsburgh.
Good point. It is nice to finally see real diversity in Pittsburgh. Seems to be more Russians as well. Pittsburgh seems to be on the radar of a more international set that seems to be doing well here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 07:26 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,712,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
What do you think a reasonable walking distance would be?
I walk from Fourth Avenue to Dinwiddie every single day, twice a day. I am in the neighborhood of which I speak every single day. After I get to my car, I drive through the Hill to Herron Ave every single day.

goodjules sees the development potential in the Hill. Those of us who spend time in the neighborhood see the potential. https://www.city-data.com/forum/55766723-post16.html

The BRT, and the concurrent expansion of Mercy Hospital, are going to gentrify Uptown.
From there, it's a hop skip and a jump into Crawford-Roberts and the Middle Hill. Lower Hill is build-out and safe. Upper Hill (the portion east of Herron) has a completely different feel to the rest of the Hill and is still an intact neighborhood. The Middle Hill sits in the center of it all - the best location in the City. Easy access to Downtown, the Strip, Oakland, South Side, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield.. great views. PLENTY of already flat and already empty lots. Prime spot for development and gentrification.

This home sold on Roberts Street.. in the heart of the Middle Hill. $1.25 million.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...64546699_zpid/

It's happening. Maybe the BRT isn't going to directly cause the gentrification of the Middle Hill - but its gonna knock over a few other dominoes that will most certainly contribute to the gentrification of the Middle Hill.
Anyone else get irritated by those parking in the Hill for free, walking downtown, yet never spending a single penny in said Hill?

Old 01-06-2020, 07:49 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,068,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The Lincoln.has frequent service seven days a week. The Hill is serviced by several other buses including a loop/tripper within the community.
The Hill District has three buses, IIRC.

81/83 - Both these lines go Downtown/Hill District/Oakland/South Side. They end on the South Side at the Giant Eagle - which is why Hill District residents shop there, and a big part of why the grocery store in the Hill District failed. The routes they take through the hill are a bit different though, with the 81 going mostly through Terrace Village while the 83 goes up Bedford Avenue and through Sugar Top before turning down into Oakland.

82 - The only Hill District bus connecting it to the East End. Runs from Lincoln-Lemington, Larimer, and East Liberty. Then heads down Centre through Shadyside, all the way through the Hill District to downtown.

If we were starting with a clean sheet of paper I would say that it would make sense to cut the South Side extension of the 81/83 entirely, but I understand the historic reasons for having this, and I don't really think it would make sense to force all of the Hill District residents to shop for groceries in the East End.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:29 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Anyone else get irritated by those parking in the Hill for free, walking downtown, yet never spending a single penny in said Hill?
I patronized the Shop N Save while it was open; and patronize the convenience store of the gas station (Uptown Beer) on Fifth, Sam's Market/5th Avenue Food Market, and the Sunoco station on Centre.
Pray tell where else I need to shop in order to qualify to be allowed an opinion?

Old 01-06-2020, 08:53 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,968,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The Hill District has three buses, IIRC.

81/83 - Both these lines go Downtown/Hill District/Oakland/South Side. They end on the South Side at the Giant Eagle - which is why Hill District residents shop there, and a big part of why the grocery store in the Hill District failed. The routes they take through the hill are a bit different though, with the 81 going mostly through Terrace Village while the 83 goes up Bedford Avenue and through Sugar Top before turning down into Oakland.

82 - The only Hill District bus connecting it to the East End. Runs from Lincoln-Lemington, Larimer, and East Liberty. Then heads down Centre through Shadyside, all the way through the Hill District to downtown.

If we were starting with a clean sheet of paper I would say that it would make sense to cut the South Side extension of the 81/83 entirely, but I understand the historic reasons for having this, and I don't really think it would make sense to force all of the Hill District residents to shop for groceries in the East End.
The 82 is one of the busiest routes and had a connection with the 79 East Hills. Every other 79 East Hills bus is linked to the 82 Lincoln. The 79 starts at the Wilkinsburg Station and goes through East Hills and Penn Hills / Verona before changing to the 82 Lincoln at Lincoln Ave and Mt. Caramel Rd. This allows East Hills and Penn Hills residents to take one bus into downtown with transferring to the busway.

The Southside buses should not be eliminated. The southside connection is vital to the poor /working poor. Jitney's and ride sharing would be less expensive from the southside GE. Hill district residents have more connection with the southside neighborhoods than the East End. East Liberty is "too far".

Old 01-07-2020, 07:21 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,204,248 times
"Bus rapid transit?" A bus is a bus is a bus! Rapid transit means trains. Check the video below for the Oslo, Norway line 3 metro. The line goes through a hilly suburban area of Oslo and is built at ground level.
It would be a pleasure to commute on such a line. Why can't the powers that be in the Burgh plan for a splendid future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3z-DvHur_Q

Old 01-07-2020, 07:44 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,068,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
"Bus rapid transit?" A bus is a bus is a bus! Rapid transit means trains. Check the video below for the Oslo, Norway line 3 metro. The line goes through a hilly suburban area of Oslo and is built at ground level.
It would be a pleasure to commute on such a line. Why can't the powers that be in the Burgh plan for a splendid future?
BRT is to regular buses what a train is to a streetcar. What makes it fast is supposed to be a dedicated right of way, meaning it doesn't have to wait at any traffic signals.

The busways are true BRT. The one aspect we have not integrated yet (and should) is some sort of system (like subways) where you pay before you get on the bus, because it would make loading much faster.

I don't think that the Downtown/Oakland line is true BRT though, because it will still be operating on surface roads, even if it's given signaling priority. However, it will be faster than what we have now, and much, much cheaper than an extension of the T to Oakland (which has been estimated to cost $2 billion).

Old 01-07-2020, 08:59 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't think that the Downtown/Oakland line is true BRT though, because it will still be operating on surface roads, even if it's given signaling priority. However, it will be faster than what we have now, and much, much cheaper than an extension of the T to Oakland (which has been estimated to cost $2 billion).

$2 billion is 1/6th the cost of building a new aircraft carrier and the powers that be have prioritized replacing all "Nimitz Class" aircraft carriers with new "Ford Class" aircraft carriers.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:44 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,530,314 times
Downtown Pittsburgh is far from declining. I think if there's any section of the city safe from decline it's Downtown.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:09 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,981,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3z-DvHur_Q
Oslo metro has 30% of the nation’s population and is responsible for a third of the GDP. It’s easy to get infrastructure projects done when you have that sort of capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh