Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 06:29 AM

807 posts, read 618,099 times

Advertisements

I believe this property was one of two that Dormont considered rehabilitating under the PA Conservatorship Law. However, it was determined that the structure was beyond saving. I think I have heard from two folks who had toured the house, and they were both of the opinion that it was too far gone.

So, also as far as I konw, the general contractor here has a lot of experience in the South Hills and an excellent track record. Among other things, they were respondible for rehabbing the house that Dormont did end up addressing through the Conservatorship Law, which sold for over 300k, as well as for a 2018 rehab that sold for one of the highest selling prices ever for a single family home in Dormont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 12:42 PM

Just a few updates from Dormont:

1. The house that we have discussed in another thread is now under contract:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-31542?view=qv

The price came down about 10 percent, but still seems like a success for the rehabber.

2. A large home, with many original features, was just listed about 10 days ago:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-89332?view=qv

Frankly, I originally thought this was going to be a nice "test case" for a Dormont home that:

(1) sold for a premium after the 2012 assessments;

(2) was reassessed based on the post-2012 sales price, and had a fairly significant tax burden (over $8,000 for this house); and now

(3) was being re-sold with that (explicit) higher tax burden.

Again, I wondered whether seeing this explicit tax burden, and knowing that it would undoubtly go higher after another purchase, would cool interest in the property. Nevertheless, within 10 days of going on the market, this home is under contract. Perhaps the amount of "character" present in this listing drove a buyer, despite the likely tax burden.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:53 AM

Not sure how the Coronavirus is affecting real estate in your neighborhood, but here in Dormont, this beautiful home just went on the market and was contingent in one day!

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M31008-78514

Old 03-18-2020, 08:40 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,133,747 times
Yeah, real estate isn't closed. The way the market had been you really did not need open houses which is likely the main thing being cut out. I do think it will make the inventory event tighter though. People who want to buy for the most part still want to buy. Sellers though, unless they need to sell some people might opt wait not wanting to have random people walking through.

Of course all of this is still dependent on being able to close. Title companies are still working but municipalities are starting to stop inspections like occupancy and dye tests. Its not clear what will happen in those instances yet.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,704,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Not sure how the Coronavirus is affecting real estate in your neighborhood, but here in Dormont, this beautiful home just went on the market and was contingent in one day!

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M31008-78514
Yes this house just blew my mind. Lots of original character still remaining, which is great. Dormont homes are selling like nuts lately.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:07 PM

99 posts, read 110,308 times
Very nice to see the Dormont property market doing well.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:01 AM

Another quality rehab in Dormont -- went under contract in a few days:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M49987-96250

We actually looked at the house next door to this one several years ago, but passed (in part) because this place was in such disrepair at the time. Belrose is a short, flat block, and since 2007, rehabbers have successfully rehabilitated every house on this block (about 5 - 6) that had been falling into serious disrepair. You can quibble with some of the finishes here, but the rehab market really saved these big, quality homes in Dormont.

In other news, the Arsenal Cider House location in Dormont is now open for "take-out" alcohol sales.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:32 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,704,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Another quality rehab in Dormont -- went under contract in a few days:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M49987-96250

We actually looked at the house next door to this one several years ago, but passed (in part) because this place was in such disrepair at the time. Belrose is a short, flat block, and since 2007, rehabbers have successfully rehabilitated every house on this block (about 5 - 6) that had been falling into serious disrepair. You can quibble with some of the finishes here, but the rehab market really saved these big, quality homes in Dormont.

In other news, the Arsenal Cider House location in Dormont is now open for "take-out" alcohol sales.
I like that the woodwork was kept nice. The bathroom update is eh ... looks like a Holiday Inn bathroom, not in keeping with the vintage of the house. But not bad overall. And Arsenal Cider House that's great but there are enough places already to get drunk in Dormont. Wish one of the more nuisance places went away.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,061,381 times
i agree - the wood is just beautiful.

and yeah, that bathroom sink/vanity whatever its called. I dont like the fixtures. but i think some people wouldnt be as picky about that while others prefer it to have a certain look.

its almost a shame to put furniture in some of those grand spaces.

that is an incredible amount of restoration happening in Dormont. wonderful!

Old 02-19-2021, 11:29 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,560,117 times
And with taxes just as high as Mt. Lebanon!!!

Actually, Lebo wins with 34.23 vs 34.20 mills. I am amazed the prices that Dormont is getting. Still can't understand why their township millage is 9.97, most townships/boros are in the 3-5 bracket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh