Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 7,285 times

Advertisements

@screechingweasel : Wow I didn't think it could be that bad. Thanks for sharing your years of experience, definitely gives me something to think about before making a choice.

Surprised that it's such a sausagefest though, I read from this website that "For every 100 females there are 95.7 males." http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...gh-population/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 05:43 AM

755 posts, read 473,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astarrev View Post
@screechingweasel : Wow I didn't think it could be that bad. Thanks for sharing your years of experience, definitely gives me something to think about before making a choice.

Surprised that it's such a sausagefest though, I read from this website that "For every 100 females there are 95.7 males." http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...gh-population/
Ah, yeah. So this describes a bar scene in the '80`s in a different place for me. The bar scene has always been a sausagefest everywhere. Right? If you think you're going to meet the person of your dreams in a bar maybe you need to rethink the entire proposition. I don't know anything about women in their 20's here, so I defer to others. But the people I meet in their 40's and 50's, my age, aren't anymore or less xenophobic than anywhere else I have lived.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
@screechingweasel : Wow I didn't think it could be that bad.
I certainly isn't that bad. Geez. There are countless cool places with normal people around. I enjoy the brewpub atmosphere because it is a mixed age crowd and most are pretty mellow and many don't have TVs. I guess there are places you might see some guy with his shirt off in a bar? That would be amazingly rare, unless you are at Lucky's catching male dancers. SCR? Seriously Pittsburgh isn't a bunch of frat boys everywhere unless you go to a dive bar in Oakland or the South Side.

I do feel it is VERY hard to meet people here unless you have a history here or are very outgoing and get involved in things. There are other cities that people are way easier to get to know. Any more transient city would be easier.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,462,943 times
Quote:

I have not had his experiences really at all, but I also stay away from clubby type bars where your typical "Bro" would hang. When I was single and dating through the various apps, I found it to be pretty easy to get dates. There is definitely downsides to the app dating culture, but I'm sure if I was single again, I would be swiping right and meeting new women relatively quickly.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:18 PM

139 posts, read 76,485 times
Quote:

I just shared with you the experience that I had, as well as most of the guys I know. It's all a matter of perspective though.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screechingweasel View Post
I just shared with you the experience that I had, as well as most of the guys I know. It's all a matter of perspective though.
I think it isn't as much a matter of perspective, but more a matter of the places you go. I have a feeling your places of choice were the shot and beer dive bars students like, not a more upscale experience. Too bad for you I guess that you didn't experience better places.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:58 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,635,478 times
Quote:
Hi, I'm thinking of moving to your nice city for work, but wanted to see if there were any anecdotes or data points about dating as an Asian man in Pittsburgh.

Asians are a very small minority in Pittsburgh (2% I think?) while 2/3 of the population are white, so I'll definitely end up trying to date white girls and other non-Asian girls. I don't mind this, I think there are cute girls of all races and have no reservations about dating outside my race.

However, I was wondering if the average girl in Pittsburgh would be open to the idea of dating Asian guys or do they mainly date within their own race?

To be clear, I'm not trying to claim that anyone is racist. I think there's nothing wrong with only be attracted to some races and not all of them. Some cities have a reputation for not being great for Asian guys to date interracially which is why I'm asking.
As a white guy who finds Asian women very attractive, I will admit they're a rarity here. On a positive note, there is an Asian Meetup group in Pittsburgh. I work in Beaver County, which is just north of Pgh, and people blatantly admit how racist the area is. Pgh is a very white city but does have diversity because of the universities in the area. This is actually the only time I have seen Asian women. They're all over the Pitt and Carnegie Mellon campuses which border each other. Overall, I've never seen many Black, White, or Latin women with Asian men but some are attracted to them.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:22 PM

139 posts, read 76,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think it isn't as much a matter of perspective, but more a matter of the places you go. I have a feeling your places of choice were the shot and beer dive bars students like, not a more upscale experience. Too bad for you I guess that you didn't experience better places.

Nope. I never opted for the 'shot and beer' places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh