Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 12:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
There have been riots, pandemics and severe poverty in cities in the last two centuries. That didn’t stop them from growing nor stop people from wanting to live there. Will there be demographic shifts and will some people adapt to a different lifestyle? Definitely. We don’t know what all of the changes will be. To those pining for the “downfall” of cities, where do you think that those millions upon millions of people will end up living? Do you all hope for one giant sprawling suburb to take over many of the natural/rural areas of the country? You realize that hyper-dense urban environments in some ways allow for those peaceful rural and natural areas to exist, right?
I'm not pining for any downfall. Ten years ago I was the biggest city booster you could find. But lately many of our cities have gone off the rails politically, featuring prosecutors who won't prosecute crimes, treating homeless people and drug addicts as members of pet victim groups, kneeling police chiefs, city councils who vote to disband police departments, and.....Bill DeBlasio. Any decline that our cities see will be largely self-made. I mean, what do you expect to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 01:44 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I'm not pining for any downfall. Ten years ago I was the biggest city booster you could find. But lately many of our cities have gone off the rails politically, featuring prosecutors who won't prosecute crimes, treating homeless people and drug addicts as members of pet victim groups, kneeling police chiefs, city councils who vote to disband police departments, and.....Bill DeBlasio. Any decline that our cities see will be largely self-made. I mean, what do you expect to happen?
Agreed. Just not my thing with all this ultra left leadership in our city. It is going to be more like Portland without the growth. I thanks. People will leave and as the snowflakes age they will get tired of the lower standard of our city. Just the way the left likes it. Odd bunch.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:40 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times
This article rings true for both the far left and the far right. It is a good article but I wanted to specifically highlight Frederick Douglass, former slave in America.

https://www.finalcall.com/artman/pub...e_102505.shtml

“Being born into slavery, Douglass discovered and implemented the keys to freedom to counteract the detrimental realities and ramifications of slavery.

The first key to freedom that Douglass teaches us is the importance of education. Word education is derived from the Latin word “educatio,” which means to build or bring up. Douglass stated, “Once you learn to read, you will forever be free.” Douglass understood that when you build up or bring yourself up internally, you will no longer be content or able to be enslaved externally. An oppressor can only maintain control if he keeps the oppressed illiterate and dependent.

As a result, our ancestors sought out knowledge as one of the most powerful keys to freedom. They pursued it while understanding that if caught they would risk serious physical punishment or even death. An independent and educated thinker will continuously pursue the path of freedom regardless of possible consequences.

The second key to freedom is being true to yourself. “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of the ridicule of others, rather than to incur my own abhorrence,” said Douglass.

When a person surrenders his thoughts and actions or allows them to be dictated by others, he is surrendering his power and freedom. Once they have surrendered their power and freedom, their internal fire is extinguished which leads to a charred and barren internal field.

What is not present internally, cannot be exhibited externally.

The third key to freedom is understanding that nothing in life worth having will come easy. Douglass observed, “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.”

If you really want to obtain anything in life, you must continuously persevere, especially during the hardest moments. This is evidenced by the numerous occasions that Douglass sought to gain his freedom. After several attempts, struggles, and immense pain, his freedom was finally realized.

The final key to freedom is demonstrating unity and love for the whole community. “No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened to his own neck,” Douglass noted. Even though this quote is directly related to our oppressors, some of us have taken on the negative behaviors of our oppressors by trying to hold each other back. It is imperative to teach our young people that they can’t expect to get far in life if they attempt to hold or bring one another down. Any behavior derived from negative energy will prevent us from moving to our greatest potential.

In conclusion, we must heed Douglass’ strong warning that, “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.”

It is essential that we learn from and teach our young people about the struggles, achievements, and the lessons passed on from our ancestors, such as Douglass.“

Old 06-10-2020, 08:48 PM

127 posts, read 83,193 times
I hope. I would love if the traffic was cut in half.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Agreed. Just not my thing with all this ultra left leadership in our city. It is going to be more like Portland without the growth. I thanks. People will leave and as the snowflakes age they will get tired of the lower standard of our city. Just the way the left likes it. Odd bunch.
You all must have very short memories of what cities used to be like across America about 50 years ago. Here’s a hint: many were much, much worse than what they are now. It also seems much of your unrest comes from political factors and your disdain for basic things like a police chief kneeling in solidarity with protesters. If that is what you get angry about, there’s not much discussion to be had so I’ll go ahead and tap out of this one.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
You all must have very short memories of what cities used to be like across America about 50 years ago. Here’s a hint: many were much, much worse than what they are now
Many weren't. Look at San Fransisco and Portland. Ugh! Miami was nicer 50 years ago. Lots of cities were. Downtown Pittsburgh was way busier than it is today. It was a little rough of course, but it was a busy place. It was much busier in my childhood here.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:35 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Many weren't. Look at San Fransisco and Portland. Ugh! Miami was nicer 50 years ago. Lots of cities were. Downtown Pittsburgh was way busier than it is today. It was a little rough of course, but it was a busy place. It was much busier in my childhood here.
And it collapsed due to the collapse of a very specific industry in the mid 70s after the OPEC oil embargo lead to utilization of foreign steel markets for a good decade with minimal intervention by both the Carter and Reagan administrations. Then it got pretty bad. Then it got a lot better. It’s now a great place to live. Did you go to NYC or LA in the 70s? How were they compared to today? See how silly this all seems when blaming the downfall of cities on a cop kneeling with protesters?

Old 06-11-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
And it collapsed due to the collapse of a very specific industry in the mid 70s after the OPEC oil embargo lead to utilization of foreign steel markets for a good decade with minimal intervention by both the Carter and Reagan administrations. Then it got pretty bad. Then it got a lot better. It’s now a great place to live. Did you go to NYC or LA in the 70s? How were they compared to today? See how silly this all seems when blaming the downfall of cities on a cop kneeling with protesters?
I'll admit, NYC was a total dump all the way into the 90's. They really cleaned that city up and did an amazing job. They really did it right.

I think cities are going to be more like San Fransisco over the course of the next 10 or so years. Tons of homeless on drugs. More debris on our streets. Loud people and a big increase in violence with the heavy anti-police vibe. Cops will eventually just take their time getting places and not care as much. More graffiti, like that HUGE "black lives matter" one downtown. Peduto says it should stay even though there was no permission for it. I personally could care less as I don't go downtown anymore and probably won't much. Oddly I used to go down weekly and felt so much pride riding my bike down there, but the vibe in the city is so different now. Way more stress and anger. Nothing like it was only 4 years ago. Loved riding through that path near the Convention Center with the water falling. So cool. All the river trails being used and Point State Park. Just seems like a distant memory for me. I also like the contrast when riding on the trail in the South Side. A crowded trail, but love all that shade. Unfortunately for me, the amount of anger in the city overwhelms my riding. I am still allowed to say how I feel, or have we gotten to the point I must be silenced? Probably silenced is reality.

Guess I miss my old city. Sure seemed more fun less than 5 years ago. Now it is riots/protests/graffitti/political maneuvering/COVID(yet no one cares)/restaurants struggling/Lawrenceville dead/and the list goes on. All this in less than 5 years. All due to reactions of people. Guess my reaction will be leaving. I think most everyone will stay however. I am just tired of so much friction everywhere. Guess that happens when you live in the best country with such a high standard of living. Unless you are on drugs of course, but other than those folks, we have is so good. You would never know it by the anger on people's faces though. The far left dominate the city and they are always angry. Ever notice that? The most miserable people in the world and they have so much right in front of them. They sure are a crazy bunch.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:43 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
hold on, prn....do you live down in the center of the city? or even live in a black neighborhood? do you visit pals in a black neighborhood? would you even consider buying a home in a predominantly black area?

if i can point this out without you getting insulted - i am just saying that often, the most virulent people calling out others as racist are those in comfortable surroundings inhabited by people who are mostly like themselves. I am not saying living in a black neighborhood will turn any non-black person racist, but living there as a (ironically) minority will give you a different perspective. and this has more to do with the economic class and culture of such a neighborhood, rather than race.
!
This is why all of this rhetoric going on right now is a bunch of crap. The country is very segregated and will remain very segregated, regardless of how many rallies people attend or how many "Black Lives Matter" signs people in Squirrel Hill put in their windows (you even see some of these signs in Mt. Lebanon, which is really good for a laugh.)

Old 06-11-2020, 09:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times
Quote:
This is why all of this rhetoric going on right now is a bunch of crap. The country is very segregated and will remain very segregated, regardless of how many rallies people attend or how many "Black Lives Matter" signs people in Squirrel Hill put in their windows (you even see some of these signs in Mt. Lebanon, which is really good for a laugh.)
It’s difficult to change culture. Every country in the world has some population that’s oppressed. That’s just life. People can only control themselves and there actions. Too many folks have already given up their freedom. They want you to think and feel a certain way. What made this country great is you can voice your opinion and not be shot on the spot or jailed for it. Many people on both sides of the political aisle lack perspective. We are the greatest country in the world for opportunity regardless who the leadership is and whether or not you agree with them. People put so much effort into things out of their control. If that same effort was put towards bettering oneself this country would run like a top. So much time, energy and money is wasted on things that don’t really matter.

We will be talking about those same things 20-50 years from now and likely well beyond any of us living to see things really different.

Obama was temporary and trump will be temporary. Memories of Obama will have faded and people will forget the tweeting of trump and how much we over reacted to the virus.

I personally live for now. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one. I remember the past, but don’t dwell or live in it. Learn from mistakes, be better and move on. Life is short
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh