Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 06:51 PM

179 posts, read 107,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Not everyone needs or wants a BMW or a massive 2,000-square-foot home.

I would rather live more comfortably on a lower salary in a low-stress city like Pittsburgh than still be struggling to stay afloat the way I was in Northern Virginia a decade ago when I lived there.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 10:11 PM

387 posts, read 409,201 times
There's a considerable amount of free income floating around the 412 if you know where to look. Outside of my main job which pays o.k. (60k/yr) I also bounce which gives me about an extra 15-20 a year tax free. I jitney/make runs at various times which is also a cash business. I considered doing the ride share thing but, I didn't want to get taxed on a side hustle. At the end of the day if you have the drive you can make as much as you want. That's what this country is all about.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:06 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,689,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
Agreed.
SCR is the exception not the norm. If he was the norm Pittsburgh wouldn’t be doing another “border guard bob” like campaign to keep college graduates from leaving the area.

He always uses Northern Virginia as an example because that is what he knows. That is also a very extreme example as it is probably one if not the most expensive cities in the US. There are a lot of cities with the same, lower or not much more COL that pay significantly higher in salaries. Raleigh is one of them for sure. More pay and roughly the same or a little bit more than Pittsburgh. However it is not 10s of thousands more.

I’m glad he’s happy. That’s the most important thing. I am just pointing out that he’s the exception not the rule and the northern Virginia example is the most extreme you will get. I know somebody working for PNC that was in Pittsburgh and was given an opportunity to work for their growing Charlotte office. He went from living living near Shiloh street in Mt. Washington to living on a lakefront community in one of the suburbs down there. His pay increased by 50K a year just to take a promotion with pnc in Charlotte. He fishes on the weekend in his boat and enjoys the outdoors.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:42 AM

994 posts, read 503,068 times
This is no mystery, Raleigh has long been growing and with its long established hub of technology, it has been able to grow - and without the legacy "baggage" of an existing population base that lost thousands of jobs etc.

The dynamics are different. People either are not bothering to learn about this, are intentionally being disingenuous.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
This is no mystery, Raleigh has long been growing and with its long established hub of technology, it has been able to grow - and without the legacy "baggage" of an existing population base that lost thousands of jobs etc.

The dynamics are different. People either are not bothering to learn about this, are intentionally being disingenuous.
Well you live in Atlanta.

Cost of overall living in Atlanta is 0.6% less than Pittsburgh.
Median Household salary in Pittsburgh is $45,831
Median household salary in Atlanta is $55,279

Atlanta is 52% black and 37% white
Pittsburgh is 67% white and 23% black.

Monthly rental in Pittsburgh is $922 and in Atlanta is $1,099.

Workforce participation is also roughly 5% higher than Pittsburgh.

So Atlanta is 0.6% less on cost of living, average household income is $10,000 higher than Pittsburgh and over 50% of the population is black.

Moving to Atlanta puts more money in your pocket with wages and cost of living savings. It’s a no brainer and why people leave Pittsburgh especially the black population

Old 08-21-2020, 11:48 AM

806 posts, read 260,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Go to college, major in business, engineering, IT or anything medical related. Make at least around $50-60K fresh out of college as a 22 year old, or more in a few more years if you’re doing an advanced/graduate degree.

True though that Pittsburgh companies don’t seem to pay a whole lot compared to other cities but pretty low COL.
You can hit six figures by your mid-thirties here working in software at the old corporate standbys, let alone a tech company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post

Pittsburgh is great if you can work for a company based out of town and not have to deal with the local economy and wages. If you can work for a company out of NY or Philly and live here then life is golden. Trying to get a job with a local company will not pay the same and below market for a lot of small towns even in the Midwest.
A co-worker of mine was working for Highmark doing healthcare analytics and was making over $130K a year when she left. That was at 37 or 38.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times
Quote:

Median Household salary in Pittsburgh is $45,831
Median household salary in Atlanta is $55,279

Atlanta is 52% black and 37% white
Pittsburgh is 67% white and 23% black.

Monthly rental in Pittsburgh is $922 and in Atlanta is $1,099.

Workforce participation is also roughly 5% higher than Pittsburgh.

So Atlanta is 0.6% less on cost of living, average household income is $10,000 higher than Pittsburgh and over 50% of the population is black.

Moving to Atlanta puts more money in your pocket with wages and cost of living savings. It’s a no brainer and why people leave Pittsburgh especially the black population
Well there are a lot of other things to consider. Atlanta's crime rate is WAY higher than Pittsburgh.

If I was a black man however, I gotta be honest. I would seriously consider Atlanta. Even when I go to the airport there are TONS and TONS of black professionals. It is the norm there. The airport runs very well considering how super busy it is.

Then the weather. I am thinking Atlanta is pretty hot and humid much of the year.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:28 PM

994 posts, read 503,068 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about Atlanta it's not relevant to my response. DC is still expensive.

Quote:
The COL living would only be cheaper in Atlanta if one lives further out (the metro is sprawling and includes many more counties than Pittsburgh).

Old 08-21-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
You can hit six figures by your mid-thirties here working in software at the old corporate standbys, let alone a tech company.

A co-worker of mine was working for Highmark doing healthcare analytics and was making over $130K a year when she left. That was at 37 or 38.
Then why did she leave? I knew two people who worked there and were in their IT dept. Pay was low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well there are a lot of other things to consider. Atlanta's crime rate is WAY higher than Pittsburgh.

If I was a black man however, I gotta be honest. I would seriously consider Atlanta. Even when I go to the airport there are TONS and TONS of black professionals. It is the norm there. The airport runs very well considering how super busy it is.

Then the weather. I am thinking Atlanta is pretty hot and humid much of the year.
Most do. There are a lot of people from here down there. Feel free to show me stats that crime is so much worse in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
I wasn't talking about Atlanta it's not relevant to my response. DC is still expensive.

The COL living would only be cheaper in Atlanta if one lives further out (the metro is sprawling and includes many more counties than Pittsburgh).

I did a comparison of city vs city. Those numbers and stats are from the US Census. Atlanta is cheaper than Pittsburgh and salaries pay more.

And I mentioned Atlanta because you live there and was pointing out it is a much stronger area economically with a lower cost of living than Pittsburgh.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:51 PM

806 posts, read 260,849 times
Quote:
Then why did she leave? I knew two people who worked there and were in their IT dept. Pay was low.
She didn’t tell me what she’s making here, but generally when people leave a job for another job, the new job pays better. Use your head.

IT is a big tent. People who shuffle computers around aren’t going to get paid what the software developers and data analytics people make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh