Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 08:50 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,136,251 times

Advertisements

I hate commenting on much of this anymore but that logic also does not make sense. You also can not jump to the far other side saying the US has 328M people so 1%..... This is not some scifi movie where just being in the same city means you catch it. From everything I have read it is slightly more contagious than the regular flu. I'm not debating any other aspect but assuming it is even somewhat more contagious the flu only infects 9-43 million, nowhere near 328M. Lets not start going from one extreme to another and keep things in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 09:13 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,256,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I hate commenting on much of this anymore but that logic also does not make sense. You also can not jump to the far other side saying the US has 328M people so 1%..... This is not some scifi movie where just being in the same city means you catch it. From everything I have read it is slightly more contagious than the regular flu. I'm not debating any other aspect but assuming it is even somewhat more contagious the flu only infects 9-43 million, nowhere near 328M. Lets not start going from one extreme to another and keep things in reality.
Double Bingo

Old 09-03-2020, 09:40 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,066,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
If you presume uncontrolled spread, most epidemiologists believe the R0 factor will be above 1 (meaning the number infected will grow) until 70% of the population is infected. This means about 230 million Americans infected.

Presume 1% mortality, and the ultimate number of casualties is about 2.3 million.

Thankfully a vaccine will likely be available before we hit herd immunity levels.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you presume uncontrolled spread, most epidemiologists believe the R0 factor will be above 1 (meaning the number infected will grow) until 70% of the population is infected. This means about 230 million Americans infected.

Presume 1% mortality, and the ultimate number of casualties is about 2.3 million.

Thankfully a vaccine will likely be available before we hit herd immunity levels.
I find it interesting that so many are banking on a vaccine for a virus that experts obviously know little about. Hopefully they’ll come up with something for the flu while they’re at it.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,020,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Considering how many people have had this or have it and show no symptoms and will never be tested, I think the mortality rate would be wildly lower than 1%. Not saying we should do anything different as far as masks, but I do feel we should just reopen and be smart about it. We can't just print money and pretend everything is going to be okay. We all know who will suffer the most if we really hit hard times. Lets keep things in perspective on that.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:41 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,691,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Hey, sorry I've been away, everybody. Anyway, this is weird. Upon closer inspection, Pittsburgh's median household income in this age cohort doesn't look very low to me, like all the others do. In fact, it appears to be higher than any similarly-sized metropolitan area within 500 miles except Baltimore. Hmmmm...

Another weird thing I've noticed is, "young people are fleeing in droves" appears to have been replaced by "middle-aged people are fleeing in droves." It's almost as if there's a specific year-of-birth cohort (1965-1980) that's just plain underrepresented in Pittsburgh, and always will be, and whichever age cohort they age into will be the one that's "fleeing in droves."
And this is for a city that has below average wages overall. Currently the Unemployment in the city is 15.9%, County 14.3% and Metro 14.3%. Other peer cities have lower unemployment rates. Pittsburgh’s actually increased 1.5% while other peer cities decreased. 170,000 on unemployment in the Pittsburgh metro and the city is on track to be -100 million on their budget due to this. I’m not sure how rosy that number is you post this time.

I’d venture the high unemployment is going to impact population numbers as well.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:18 AM

882 posts, read 336,551 times
Yet more data for the "only 1% die, so what's the big deal?" crowd:

https://outline.com/H7wEKL

Mind you, these are young athletes, not the old frail people that some have such little use for...

Quote:
During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Yet more data for the "only 1% die, so what's the big deal?" crowd:

https://outline.com/H7wEKL

Mind you, these are young athletes, not the old frail people that some have such little use for...
I don’t recall anyone saying it’s no big deal, and there’s many claims of it being less than 1%.

Much like those athletes, people are simply weighing the consequences and choosing not to live their lives in fear, or choose to let everything collapse due to a virus with a 98%+ survival rate...and for those that choose or feel otherwise, it’s simple enough to stay home and come out when it’s over.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:35 AM

882 posts, read 336,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I don’t recall anyone saying it’s no big deal, and there’s many claims of it being less than 1%.

People are simply weighing the consequences and choosing not to live their lives in fear, or choose to let everything collapse due to a virus with a 98%+ survival rate...and for those that choose or feel otherwise, it’s simple enough to stay home and come out when it’s over.

You keep using the word 'fear' to frame your argument, but it's quite transparent.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
You keep using the word 'fear' to frame your argument, but it's quite transparent.
I’m not trying to frame anything.

You’re assuming people haven’t weighed the consequences and haven’t made decisions based upon them. Not everyone shares or needs to share your feelings. People are just living life rather than choosing to live in fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh