Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 08:10 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if there are any locally produced all beef hot dogs that can be found at local supermarkets such as Giant Eagle? I tried the Market District brand recently (not all beef) and it was similar to the Mucke's brand I grew up with in Connecticut. Looking to try an all beef dog if they are made there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 10:54 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Most of the sausage makers now advertise their products as "uncured." I used to like Ball Park Angus Beef hot dogs, but since they stopped curing this product with sodium nitrite, I've stopped buying it. Ditto for Oscar Meyer, Dietz & Watson and Hatfield. Last time I checked, Berks of Reading was still curing their products.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:21 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,396,252 times
They are by finlyville so they are not pgh based but they have there own smokehouse. They use to make their own hot dogs but i don't know about now. It maybe worth a call.

https://cheplicpacking.com/cheplics-meats

Old 09-06-2021, 11:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Willie’s smokehouse in Aspinwall. Their hot dogs are great. I also recommend their hot sausage and smoked cheeses. Ah everything they have is great. Make sure you pick up beef sticks. I like the hot ones best that are the longer style ones they have. My second favorite hot dogs are Trader Joe’s all beef. They are very good.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:16 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,225,087 times
Not in a local supermarket, but you could try here;

Smoked Meats Pittsburgh Greensburg and Western PA at

Worth the drive!

Old 09-07-2021, 04:41 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by statebw View Post
Nice. Too bad, there aren't more options closer in.
Aspinwall is too far out? Really?

I am a total foodie. You got the real answer. You choose not to listen. Willie's is tops. They have been around in Harrisville for decades and we are lucky to have. branch here in our region. If you only knew. Whatever. They are busy and I shop there. Go to Giant Eagle and get Oscar Myer. Good enough for most.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:31 PM

Bookmarked a couple of links including Willies. Looks good. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:42 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Bookmarked a couple of links including Willies. Looks good. Thanks for the suggestions.
Please report back. I am very into food. Please get the hot smoked sausage. It isn't "Italian", so remember that. I would recommend it with some Havarti cheese on a roll. Nothing more. That good.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Please report back. I am very into food. Please get the hot smoked sausage. It isn't "Italian", so remember that. I would recommend it with some Havarti cheese on a roll. Nothing more. That good.
I am hoping to get there this Saturday since I will be in the area this weekend. I noted they are only open until 3 PM which may present a problem. I work second shift and don't get home until MN and since I live on the KY side of Cincinnati, it will be close to a five hour drive there and that is contingent upon no traffic tie ups. Will let you know if I can get there as hoped. Otherwise it will have to be later in the future.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:32 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I am hoping to get there this Saturday since I will be in the area this weekend. I noted they are only open until 3 PM which may present a problem. I work second shift and don't get home until MN and since I live on the KY side of Cincinnati, it will be close to a five hour drive there and that is contingent upon no traffic tie ups. Will let you know if I can get there as hoped. Otherwise it will have to be later in the future.
Wow, that sounds intense. If you do get there pleas get the following.

1. hot dogs
2. hot sausage (get a full link)
3. beef sticks (get the longer ones and I like the hot ones best, but the regular is good). Don't get the ones that look like slim Jims in style.
4. Any smoked cheese that you enjoy. They have some hot ones, but beware, they are REALLY hot!!! I am not kidding!
5. smoked pork chops. They taste like ham in a pork chop form. Two in a pack. Heat and serve.
6. The steaks are aged and quite good.

I hope you can get there. I wish I could just get them for you, but I am tied up most of this week.

Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh