Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 06:13 AM

987 posts, read 279,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Damn really? I wish I could see the Buzz Poets as well. Loved that band.

LOL....that explains so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 03:34 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
How Mary Cardwell Dawson and her opera company influenced Pittsburgh’s music scene

https://www.wesa.fm/arts-sports-cult...hs-music-scene

"A vine-covered, boarded-up Queen Anne-style mansion sits on Apple Street in Pittsburgh’s Homewood neighborhood. While the building might not look like much now, it was once home to the National Negro Opera Company, the first and the longest-running Black opera company in the U.S. And its creator, Mary Cardwell Dawson, was the leader of a movement to make classical music more accessible to Black audiences in Pittsburgh and around the country.

Although her life was defined by multiple cities, Pittsburgh community members are trying to give her musical legacy and activism a permanent home in Pittsburgh."

“She [was] adopted by Pittsburghers, very well-respected,” Black said. “Her music school, as far as I know, had one famous pupil. And that was the jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal, and he remained close to her throughout his life.” Jamal, a graduate of Westinghouse High School, began lessons with Dawson at age 7 and has been a jazz band leader for six decades."
This beautiful home is currently under construction for a complete historic make over.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:18 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
They just played at the music fest in the north side last month
Darn, maybe if I lived in the area I could have been there.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
This beautiful home is currently under construction for a complete historic make over.
Yes, great that this is happening. Hopefully no grey paint will be involved and a true historic renovation will occur.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:12 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,160 times
rest in power

Pittsburgh native Ahmad Jamal, measured maestro of the jazz piano, dies at 92

https://www.wesa.fm/2023-04-16/pitts...ano-dies-at-92

"Jamal was born Frederick Russell Jones in Pittsburgh on July 2, 1930. When he was 3 years old, his uncle challenged him to duplicate what he was playing on the piano, and the youngster actually could. He began formal studies of the piano at the age of 7 and quickly took on an advanced curriculum. He told Eugene Holley Jr. of Wax Poetics in a 2018 interview, "I studied Art Tatum, Bach, Beethoven, Count Basie, John Kirby, and Nat Cole. I was studying Liszt. I had to know European and American classical music. My mother was rich in spirit, and she led me to another rich person: my teacher, Mary Cardwell Dawson, who started the first African-American opera company in the country."

Jamal grew up in a Pittsburgh community that was rich in jazz history. His neighbors included the legendary pianists Earl Hines, Errol Garner and Mary Lou Williams. As a youth, Jamal delivered newspapers to the household of Billy Strayhorn. When Jamal began his professional career at the age of 14, Art Tatum, an early titan of the keyboard, proclaimed him "a coming great." During a tour stop in Detroit, Jamal, who was born to Baptist parents, converted to Islam and changed his name."

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 04-17-2023 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-17-2023, 09:21 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
rest in peace

"Jamal was born Frederick Russell Jones in Pittsburgh on July 2, 1930. When he was 3 years old, his uncle challenged him to duplicate what he was playing on the piano, and the youngster actually could. He began formal studies of the piano at the age of 7 and quickly took on an advanced curriculum. He told Eugene Holley Jr. of Wax Poetics in a 2018 interview, "I studied Art Tatum, Bach, Beethoven, Count Basie, John Kirby, and Nat Cole. I was studying Liszt. I had to know European and American classical music. My mother was rich in spirit, and she led me to another rich person: my teacher, Mary Cardwell Dawson, who started the first African-American opera company in the country."

Jamal grew up in a Pittsburgh community that was rich in jazz history. His neighbors included the legendary pianists Earl Hines, Errol Garner and Mary Lou Williams. As a youth, Jamal delivered newspapers to the household of Billy Strayhorn. When Jamal began his professional career at the age of 14, Art Tatum, an early titan of the keyboard, proclaimed him "a coming great." During a tour stop in Detroit, Jamal, who was born to Baptist parents, converted to Islam and changed his name."
A life well lived!

Old 04-17-2023, 08:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
rest in power

Fascinating life. Seems like such great times for music back then. Odd what happened to the music scene in general. He travelled around quite a bit. Left Pittsburgh behind.

Old 04-20-2023, 09:53 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,160 times
Lauded jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal never lost love for his hometown of Pittsburgh

https://pg-share.newsslide.com/b8b11...-ca3ab803bfa2/

"By 7, he was training with Mary Cardwell Dawson, a North Carolina native who studied music at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston and was running the Cardwell Dawson School of Music in Homewood. She was also the founder of the National Negro Opera Company.

His musical interests stretched beyond jazz to such classical composers as Ravel and Debussy. His studies continued at Westinghouse High School, where he was a few years behind Pittsburgh piano legends Billy Strayhorn and Erroll Garner.

By 14, he was playing professionally in Pittsburgh union halls and nightclubs. “I’d do algebra during intermission, between sets,” he told Down Beat magazine. Pianist Art Tatum declared the teenage Jamal “a coming great.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh