Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 09:48 PM

408 posts, read 233,508 times

Advertisements

Yes it is more green to work from home. The use of the electrical grid at your house isn’t that big of a concern versus everyone driving into work (which isn’t green efficient). In terms of “power usage” at home versus at a buisness, you do realize most businesses have requirements at that said office for backups to your HVAC, backup Networking gear, backup ISP, Plumbing issues / expenses, and the list goes on and on because they have to support a large user base and could get federal lawsuits against them. A lot of these concerns you don’t have at your home. I measure my power output often (Sense works quite well) and it is in-fact lower because I am not tied to a corporate laptop / desktop anymore (I can do a lot of my work from an iPAD).

We had a large scale test on this just recently called COVID lockdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Another associated risk that is often not factored into this is the reliance on individual power and network systems. If something takes down half the grid or internet to Allegheny County and everyone is home, no one can work. However if they are in a centralized location there are options for maintaining functionality.

This has nothing to do with being green, however it is a risk that is often overlooked.
I work in this field and you’re really jumping the gun here. It isn’t common for wide spread outages like that. It is more common for business networks at companies to have more issues than your own house or service provider. Let alone even if your ISP goes out, people have their phones and use that for internet. The odds of this happening are slim, especially when you have two seperate providers or services from the same provider that don’t correlate to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 09:45 AM

1,170 posts, read 538,649 times
while PNC throws money at first republic bank and pleads with its employees to come back to their $400 million "green skyscraper"

11 big banks create $30 billion rescue package for First Republic

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...first-republic

"JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Citigroup and Wells Fargo have agreed to each put $5 billion in uninsured deposits into First Republic. Meanwhile Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs would deposit $2.5 billion each into the bank. The remaining $5 billion would consist of $1 billion contributions from BNY Mellon, State Street, PNC Bank, Truist and US Bank."

their stock remains in a downtrend with no signs of bottoming

Old 03-17-2023, 01:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
while PNC throws money at first republic bank and pleads with its employees to come back to their $400 million "green skyscraper"

11 big banks create $30 billion rescue package for First Republic

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...first-republic

"JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Citigroup and Wells Fargo have agreed to each put $5 billion in uninsured deposits into First Republic. Meanwhile Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs would deposit $2.5 billion each into the bank. The remaining $5 billion would consist of $1 billion contributions from BNY Mellon, State Street, PNC Bank, Truist and US Bank."

their stock remains in a downtrend with no signs of bottoming
If the price keeps going, I might even look at it and I don’t do banking stocks. Could be a good swing trade tough, but the taxes would be a lot.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:04 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,780,662 times
I'm going to point out that green is misused. CO2 is plant food and the earth goes in natural long term cycles of higher and lower -- we are near the lower end of CO2 concentrations at about 400 ppm. plant death happens at between 250 -300 ppm. and many scientists think optimum for plants is between 1000-4000 ppm ( this is the reason they pump CO2 into greenhouses to make plants grow faster and larger)

So green really means more CO2, more burning of oil and gas and natural increase. Dont worry China and India are already more than making up for the CO2 we are not creating, and its much dirtier in terms of pollution over there (particulate matter) than it is if it was burned here. this is the absurdity of globalist energy policy as those d-bags fly around the globe in private jets trying to restrict your every move, make you eat bugs and wear your mask until you die.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,260,127 times
Explains the McDonald’s closings

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202303180092

Old 03-22-2023, 05:52 AM

so funny that i was this close to sending an email to my old classmate laura karet regarding my penn square proposal, but decided not to bother

Shapira family leadership of Giant Eagle and the company's board ends as CEO Laura Shapira Karet departs

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202303210128

"Laura Shapira Karet, who has served as the chief executive officer of Giant Eagle Inc. for 11 years, is no longer with the company, ending a decadeslong string of her family’s leadership of the grocer."

this sick nonsense probably didn't help her any

Giant Eagle says it will reimburse employees who are forced to travel for abortion services

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/0...-services.html

"A spokesperson for Giant Eagle Supermarkets, whose headquarters is located in O’Hara Township, told Pittsburgh’s Action News 4: “At Giant Eagle, we are committed to providing our team members access to comprehensive health care, including access to reproductive care. We join other businesses by committing to reimburse expenses for covered family members to travel between states to access family planning services.”

what giant eagle should have done is announce that they were going to set up abortion clinics in their stores - at least in all the market district stores

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 03-22-2023 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-22-2023, 07:30 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,711,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
so funny that i was this close to sending an email to my old classmate laura karet regarding my penn square proposal, but decided not to bother

Shapira family leadership of Giant Eagle and the company's board ends as CEO Laura Shapira Karet departs

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202303210128

"Laura Shapira Karet, who has served as the chief executive officer of Giant Eagle Inc. for 11 years, is no longer with the company, ending a decadeslong string of her family’s leadership of the grocer."

this sick nonsense probably didn't help her any

Giant Eagle says it will reimburse employees who are forced to travel for abortion services

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/0...-services.html

"A spokesperson for Giant Eagle Supermarkets, whose headquarters is located in O’Hara Township, told Pittsburgh’s Action News 4: “At Giant Eagle, we are committed to providing our team members access to comprehensive health care, including access to reproductive care. We join other businesses by committing to reimburse expenses for covered family members to travel between states to access family planning services.”

what giant eagle should have done is announce that they were going to set up abortion clinics in their stores - at least in all the market district stores
Yeah, I don't shop at The Iggle for many reasons, the above being one. "At Giant Eagle, we value abortions so much that if you want one we'll help you get it. We'll simply make room in the cabs of our produce haulers for you..". Pretty deranged. Not to mention they assume because they're the home tahn grocery store they can jack up prices insanely and you'll just buy it because they're "local". No thanks. Many other cheaper choices out their from stores that don't push political agendas.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,023,728 times
Hard to believe humans haven’t progressed at all, as there is still need for abortion. How dumb are humans? Sad.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:36 AM

Pittsburgh to delay plastic bag ban

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...astic-bag-ban/

"A ban on single-use plastic bags in Pittsburgh will be delayed by several months, city officials said Thursday.

The bag ban, which was approved last April, was slated to go into effect on April 14. Mayor Ed Gainey’s office said the city will delay enforcing the measure until Oct. 14, “in order to help ensure a successful rollout of this landmark initiative.”

Businesses won’t need to post notices of the upcoming single-use plastic bag ban until 90 days before the new start date."

Old 03-24-2023, 08:55 AM

downtown is done

you can argue all you want about how people are more affluent now and eating healthier, but if that were the case manhattan, which is far more affluent than pittsburgh, would have no mcdonald's, but according to google maps there are 20 mcdonald's in manhattan

End of an era: The last McDonald's in Downtown Pittsburgh is closing

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202303240074

"The Golden Arches may soon be leaving the Golden Triangle.

By the end of April, the last McDonald’s restaurant in Downtown is expected to close its doors.

Nick Nicholas, the owner of the building housing the restaurant on Stanwix Street between Liberty and Forbes avenues, said Thursday that the fast-food chain’s lease for the space expires April 30.

McDonald’s, he added, chose not to exercise the two five-year options it had to extend the lease beyond that time.

At one time, there were at least four McDonald’s in the central business district, including one on Smithfield Street and two on Wood Street."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh