Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 07:33 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,924 times

Advertisements

are you guys seeing these things in your neighborhood - they're all over shadyside

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 11-07-2022 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 07:36 AM

What Are Those Mysterious New Towers Looming Over New York’s Sidewalks?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/05/n...5g-towers.html

"As the city upgrades to 5G wireless, the streetscape is changing. Not everyone is impressed.

The object in question is a new 5G antenna tower erected by LinkNYC, the latest hardware in New York’s sweeping technological upgrade.

The imposing antenna is mounted on top of a slender pole, three stories high — more than 30 feet in the air — and right in front of Ms. Formica’s living-room window. It’s also just steps away from where their 5-month-old baby sleeps, which makes Ms. Formica uncomfortable.

“People say that it is safe; the F.C.C. says it’s safe and everything,” she said. “We’re just worried that it’s so close to my son’s bedroom.”

Alex Wyglinski, the associate dean of graduate studies and a professor of electrical and computer engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, said residents need not worry. He noted that 5G is non-ionizing radiation, on the opposite end of the spectrum from ionizing rays that people need protection from, like UV rays and X-rays."

Old 11-07-2022, 07:58 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Not good. Data on safety is troubling.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:30 AM

you own a gorgeous house in shadyside - your bedroom faces the street - the phone company installs a 5G transmitter on the telephone pole right outside where you sleep

and there's a warning notice posted at the bottom of the pole

how do you react? the government says it's perfectly safe, so there's nothing to worry about, right?

update: the warning sign was removed, so it's all good

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 11-07-2022 at 08:51 AM..

Old 11-07-2022, 08:34 AM

135 posts, read 36,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
you own a gorgeous house in shadyside - your bedroom faces the street - the phone company installs a 5G transmitter on the telephone pole right outside where you sleep

how do you react? the government says it's perfectly safe, so there's nothing to worry about, right?
Sell all my belongings, walk the earth like Caine, or St. Francis, a sissy!?

Old 11-07-2022, 08:49 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
People have been arguing about this for years now.

Tiny Doylestown Borough battled Verizon over 5G and won a big settlement

What ended up happening was that Harrisburg passed a law that said you cannot prohibit where to put them in public right-of-ways, but towns can customize the look and position of them in historic or environmentally vulnerable locations.

Pennsylvania Cities, Towns Prepare for 5G Deployments

Old 11-07-2022, 10:00 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
People have been arguing about this for years now.

Tiny Doylestown Borough battled Verizon over 5G and won a big settlement

What ended up happening was that Harrisburg passed a law that said you cannot prohibit where to put them in public right-of-ways, but towns can customize the look and position of them in historic or environmentally vulnerable locations.

Pennsylvania Cities, Towns Prepare for 5G Deployments
My concern is less an aesthetic eyesore and more 5G itself and possible effects on human health. Though I need more education on the issue.

Then again, I think modern windmills are ugly too.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:12 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
the FCC warning probably is regulatory - having nothing to do with human health, but rather their concern is interference between frequencies.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:29 AM

every time i turn around i notice another 5G transmitter in shadyside

you guys aren't seeing these things in your neighborhoods?

Old 11-09-2022, 09:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
every time i turn around i notice another 5G transmitter in shadyside

you guys aren't seeing these things in your neighborhoods?
See, here's the evidence that the demagoguery here has permanently damaged this forum. It is no longer a community where you can ask a question and expect anybody here to answer because they live out of the city, county or state. To answer your question as I do live here, I have not seen these yet. On the suspicion that these can damage us somehow; I am wary of them as well. I'll be looking for them, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh